What ever happened to the manual of monsters?

KPhan2121

mmm... there was a recent post about it...
I think it has been removed because, wait for it it, some image were copyrighted or something like that (IIRC)! 😮

Sound to me like those occasionally spurious Youtube copyright strike.. but, ha well, it happens! 😕

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

And let’s be honest peeps, excellent though tooley1chris’s work was and is, the flagrant, blatant mis-use of copyright material throughout was a sword of Damocles that was inevitably going to cause a problem. Frankly, I am surprised that it’s taken this long, especially since these forums have been the “official” Chaosium forums for 5+ years.

• Like 4

Nick ain't wrong ☝️

I even put on the forward (of all my books) that I yanked all the images from other artists around the internet. 

Of course I didn't really think anyone would care since no $ changed hands and those images can be viewed ANY time with a simple Google search.

• Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

16 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

And let’s be honest peeps, excellent though tooley1chris’s work was and is, the flagrant, blatant mis-use of copyright material throughout was a sword of Damocles that was inevitably going to cause a problem. Frankly, I am surprised that it’s taken this long, especially since these forums have been the “official” Chaosium forums for 5+ years.

Well damn, I guess I'll have to go figure out where I put them in my computer. I downloaded the MoM 1 and 2 like a few years ago.

7 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Nick ain't wrong ☝️

I even put on the forward (of all my books) that I yanked all the images from other artists around the internet. 

Of course I didn't really think anyone would care since no $ changed hands and those images can be viewed ANY time with a simple Google search.

Have you considered putting out a no art version of the document? Having all of the stats put into one place is still very useful.

• Like 1

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

13 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

5 hours ago, KPhan2121 said:

Have you considered putting out a no art version of the document? Having all of the stats put into one place is still very useful.

31 minutes ago, albesias said:

Mmm, I could draw some stuff for this.

I could contribute editing or layout (it will give me an excuse to learn Affinity Publishing). I have never minded contributing to a free effort that benefits many. 

• Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Another option is to find some new images that are in the public domain. Wikipedia has a webpage abut that subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources

You can also go to https://www.google.com/advanced_image_search and at the bottom of the form, at the "Usage rights" option, choose "Creative Commons licenses". Then enter "dragon dnd" as the words you are searching for and all the images that you'll find are under a CC license.

In fact you will find one decent image of a dragon: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DnD_Dragon.png

Edited by peterb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter Brink

On 3/19/2021 at 5:31 PM, KPhan2121 said:

I think we should slow down a bit, this is still tooley1chris's work. You need his permission in order to do anything first.

Not sure I see a reason to slow down here, everyone is offering to help the good Chris Tooley...if he should wish it. Don’t see anyone being heavy handed. 

ETA Before this sounds all negative on you KPhan2121, you are right and we can continue to wait for Chris’s wishes and opinion.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

Please be aware that you can't publicly distribute (even for free, on a public forum) any IP that belongs to someone else without their permission. So While redoing the Book of Monsters with CC art is possible, please ensure that it's credited as such. Likewise that none of the other material in the book belongs to someone else. 

For example the very first entry, aarakocra, is Wizards of the Coast IP.

The info for using the BRP SRD is here: https://brp.chaosium.com/using-the-brp-srd/ . We already have an excellent product released under the BRP SRD: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/321297/Toxandria

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Scotty is 100% correct here, you wonderful people. Most of the details, descriptions, ect are also not my own words. I merely took everything there and made it more BRPish. 

Heck even some of the critters are copyright material owned by Wizards.

I took a month or so and converted most everything from THEIR books.

THEIR books.

Wasn't selling anything or taking "donations" so I figured no one would care (litigation wise) and those books I made were available here a long time.

Chaosium is a MUCH bigger fish than little old me and need to watch what they make available on their website.

I never received a cease order from Wizards but Scotty may have saved me from that. Thank you Scotty/Chaosium!

I also put in those books I threw together,  that I only made them to help with my home campaigns and figured others could use them. That you can change whatever you like in them to suit you. If you guys wanna take any of the material I posted and change anything I don't mind.

You don't need my permission if you wanna take it all, rewrite it, omit copyright material, or whatever else.

Just play this great game Chaosium gave us and enjoy it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

17 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

Scotty is 100% correct here, you wonderful people. Most of the details, descriptions, ect are also not my own words. I merely took everything there and made it more BRPish. 

I figured you to be a decent chap otherwise I would not have offered to be of assistance. Plus it seems to me that you have been giving to the community for a long time. Well, be careful and mindful in the future so you, your peers and Chaosium (and Trifletraxor for that matter) do not get in trouble. If you need a hand on something that won’t cause waves, give me a PM.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 2:30 PM, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Change the names to protect the innocent.

"The innocent" ???   Sir, I categorically deny your scurrilous and baseless accusations!

*I* sir, am no  innocent !!!

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig