Eurmal The Guide subcult?

John T.

In Six Seasons in Sartar, pg 27, it says that Keladon Blue eye is known to be a member of The Guide subcult of Eurmal.

I've looked online, and in Cults of Prax, and Cult Compendium, as well as Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha, but I can find nothing on The Guide subcult. Does anyone have any more information on it?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, John T. said:

In Six Seasons in Sartar, pg 27, it says that Keladon Blue eye is known to be a member of The Guide subcult of Eurmal.

I've looked online, and in Cults of Prax, and Cult Compendium, as well as Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha, but I can find nothing on The Guide subcult.

Six Seasons is a Jonstown Compendium publication and as such doesn't need to follow any established background from Chaosium publications. Anything in it may be the creation of the author.

3 hours ago, John T. said:

Does anyone have any more information on it?

Thanks.

@Andrew Logan Montgomery may be able to help you.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

This reply is more to say that better information is available, than really giving much.

It was either In the Guide to Glorantha or the Sourcebook that had Eurmal worshipped as a helper to humans moreso than as an annoying prankster in areas around the north/central western parts of Genertela... So, Ralios, Loskalm, etc (IIRC).

There wasn't much more than a statement, so not any real depth into the cult itself.

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 3:26 PM, John T. said:

There's a short paragraph in The Book of Heortling Mythology, which suggest it's directly to do with the Lightbringers' Quest.  I'm not at all sure what this Tricksterino's rune magic could be, or even quite how he fits into the narrative of the LBQ.

Thematically, it sounds rather like the type of guide that knows just enough to lead you into the worst possible sort of trouble, but doesn't have a clue as to how to get you back out of it...

On 8/24/2021 at 6:43 AM, Shiningbrow said:

It was either In the Guide to Glorantha or the Sourcebook that had Eurmal worshipped as a helper to humans moreso than as an annoying prankster in areas around the north/central western parts of Genertela... So, Ralios, Loskalm, etc (IIRC).

Yes, Eurmal, the Friend of Men. Guide 215f, 227. Fire-bringing seems to be part of it.

Eurmal as Guide sounds more like a Lightbringer aspect, though?

Edited by Akhôrahil

45 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Yes, Eurmal, the Friend of Men. Guide 215f, 227. Fire-bringing seems to be part of it.

Eurmal as Guide sounds more like a Lightbringer aspect, though?

Well, they're connected, clearly.  Or potentially connected, at least:  there may be multiple conflicting and connected myths.  Though as I read the text of "The Firebringer" aspect in the same book, it does seem to imply the two are connected for the Orlanthi.  Though if you read the myths sequentially, as (if they were) history, then that'd make him the Fire-Bringer-Backer...

35 minutes ago, John T. said:

Thanks for the replies. It seems that I haven't missed anything.

Nothing by way of RQ rules for it, at any rate.  Nor any clues so heavy it's obvious to me what its rune magic should be.

If you're a fan of "old-school" dungeons, "Find Secret Door" might work.  Or if your Tricksters trend slightly cartoonish, perhaps finding secret doors were they didn't even exist!

10 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

another one I imagine is "understand the incomprehensible".

Or on the other side of an often very fine line, "pretend to understand the comprehensible", and "generate deep-sounding incomprehensiblities".

I believe that subcult's often called "the Path of Immanent Mastery", but others are doubtless available...

On 11/24/2021 at 3:44 AM, Alex said:

If you're a fan of "old-school" dungeons, "Find Secret Door" might work.  Or if your Tricksters trend slightly cartoonish, perhaps finding secret doors were they didn't even exist!

I think any Eurmal the Guide capability would need to be unpredictable. And possibly only available as part of a Lightbringer group, so almost by definition this would be while HeroQuesting and therefore beyond the normal rules for Rune Magic etc.

Suggestion in the incredibly unlikely event anyone ends up in this situation: the Eurmal the Guide player (or GM) draws a card from Oblique Strategies and has to use that creatively to solve the problem the LBQ group confronts.

http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

16 minutes ago, simonh said:

"Issaries The Guide" is Issaries title in his Lightbringer aspect, so it might have been a mix up. 

yes

that's why for me Eurmal the guide's role is  "when other 'guides' have no answer (path for issaries, solution for LM, heal for CA etc..) then Eurmal can find the answer",

my "understand the incomprehensible" spell

in this way the "betrayal" during the LB quest could be seen as the only incomprehensible solution to move forward.

Of course, as incomprehensible, other gods (and now worhshipers) don't understand it.

They consider it as a betrayal, when Eurmali would consider it as the only illogical thing to do, without it, the quest would failed.

E-ur-mal is like E-l-mal, the loyal traitor

Edited by French Desperate WindChild

2 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

can we introduce CoC's Sanity??

that is something I would like too, there are so many reasons to use it 

- madness spell and co,

- violent fights and other scenes,

- seeing the chaos during the Orlanth initiation quest

- maybe in any heroquest (not mundane level). Seeing the true power of the greater entities must have some impact

that may be a good option to know if an illuminate is in the light or dark side (yeah, for sure, some would say that sanity is just a mask, you must see beyond...)

that could explain Argrath, Harreck, Red Emperor and friends decisions although their "good" goals

and why Blackmor choose the lunar way, why Jareel choose to leave it, why non chaotic people start to worship chaos..

5 hours ago, simonh said:

"Issaries The Guide" is Issaries title in his Lightbringer aspect, so it might have been a mix up. 

It's in the BoHM in a list headed "Forms of Eurmal", so perhaps unoriginal, but doesn't seem like a mix up.

Edited by Alex

On 8/23/2021 at 3:26 PM, John T. said:

I've looked online, and in Cults of Prax, and Cult Compendium, as well as Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha, but I can find nothing on The Guide subcult. Does anyone have any more information on it?

Eurmal the Guide seems a most reasonable subcult. After all, Eurmal guided the Lightbringers into Hell, for he had already been to Hell to find Death.

However, Eurmal being Eurmal, you had better have a way of forcing him to keep to the right track, or he will mislead you and lead you into danger.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 minute ago, soltakss said:

However, Eurmal being Eurmal, you had better have a way of forcing him to keep to the right track, or he will mislead you and lead you into danger.

"Ooooooooh, you wanted to be able to get out of Hell, too?  Sorry, that must be some other subcult.  I only know how to get in!  No, I'm not sure what I do for an encore, either."

• Like 2