D101 Games presents "River of Heaven"

Newt

It is the dawn of the 28th Century.

The Third Renaissance, or Bright Age as future historians will call it, is at its zenith.

After the catastrophic first contact with extra-terrestrial life that led to the horrific Solar System war, humanity clawed its way back from the brink and finally reached the stars. For millions of people, Earth’s sun is no more than another star in the night sky, a mote of light, a spiritual birthplace that they will never visit in their lifetimes.

It has been over a century since the Machine Civilisation gifted humanity technological marvels such as the Visser Cube, allowing wormhole travel across the vast chasms of interstellar space. Now interstellar distances grow ever shorter. How the myriad of splintered cultures view this gift varies. Some see it as a blessing, a way to draw humanity into a united whole. Others see it as a curse, robbing them of their individuality. And then there are those who would use it as a means to subjugate humanity and impose their own will upon all…

Across the river of heaven, humanity clings to a scattering of islands in a sea of stars. Players can take on a multitude of roles in this future: a crew member on an interstellar trader, a member of the mysterious Engineers’ Guild, a body-hopping Intercessionist agent – out to manipulate human cultures to its own secret ends, a Renouncer Zealot – intent on destroying Artificial Intelligence in all its forms, or perhaps one of the Reclaimers – planetary engineers dedicated to terraforming any viable planet they happen upon…

River of Heaven uses D101 games' OpenQuest rules engine; a sleek and streamlined D100 rule set that enables you to maintain the tempo of your stories whilst keeping the rules simple and in the background.

In the core rulebook you will find:

The OpenQuest rules engine - tailored to a hard sci-fi setting.

Simple Character generation

Enabling you to go from concept to fully finished character as quickly as possible.

Augmentations

Humanity has found many ways to improve upon what nature created. Quickly augment your character with the latest biotech/nanotech upgrades.

Equipment

All the weapons, armour and other types of equipment your character might need to go adventuring in the 28th century.

Transportation

Information on how to get around the River of Heaven universe, be it lowly pack animal on a frontier dirt farm or an interstellar trader equipped with exotic stellar-tap drive.

Background

In addition to a timeline spanning 1000 years of future history, River of Heaven includes an introduction to the Bright Age, the default play setting for the game. It also includes a campaign setting – the Kentauran Hegemony – and information about all the colonised star systems at the start of the 28th century.

An example adventure

Reunion is an introductory adventure designed to get you up and running River of Heaven as soon as possible. It can be played as a one-off, or as the start of a campaign.

Adventure Seeds

Ideas for adventure ideas set in the River of Heaven universe, covering a wide range of styles and themes.

ETA late 2010. Written by John Ossoway.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I like John Ossoway's Cthulhu Rising setting very much, and good science fiction material is al-

ways welcome as an inspiration to expand and improve my own setting, so you will most pro-

bably have a customer here ... :thumb:

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear, although you can use it as a supplement for BRP or anyother D100 system, River of Heaven is a self contained game :) This is the core rule book of what John and myself hope will be the first in a line of books :)

Edited by Newt

• 1 year later...
Guest Vile Traveller

If the content is as intriguing as the cover, you'll have a winner on your hands.

I have an inkling that it will me more intriguing ... ;t)

Will we be getting previews at some point? Not that it will make any difference to me, I already run almost all my sci fi with BRP and so this is already on my "must buy" list.

John is in the final stages of finishing off the writing (literally the last section tonight he tells me ;) ) and once it goes through proof I'll probably layout the Introductory chapter as a preview as well as giving the contents list.

In the meantime, lots of excepts on John's River of Heaven Blog :

http://riverofheaven.d101games.co.uk/

John is in the final stages of finishing off the writing (literally the last section tonight he tells me ;) ) and once it goes through proof I'll probably layout the Introductory chapter as a preview as well as giving the contents list.

In the meantime, lots of excepts on John's River of Heaven Blog :

Hullo,

I can confirm I've passed the last two chapters to Newt. Public playtest completes at the end of this week too, and the feedback I have had has been very helpful indeed.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Sorry for not being around on the forums of late. Between finishing River of Heaven, and other pressing personal/family/work commitments, I've had to maintain a lower profile than I'd have liked here this year.

River of Heaven - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century

Hi Ottomancer, I read your setting blog at http://www.riverofheavenrpg.com yesterday and made a few comments (Really liked the timeline, the alien consciousnesses awakening and all that entailed and the Machine Civilisation). I have to say Im really stoked for this.

At last BRP gets a decent mid hardness sci fi RPG to rival Traveller, Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles. How many pages is the final book going to be? And if this sells will you be doing more setting/scenario books?

Anyway thanks again for taking the reins in your teeth and making something us sci fi oriented BRP fans have been waiting decades for.

Edited by AikiGhost

Hi AikiGhost. Thanks for the comments and kind words, they're really appreciated. :)

The blog you commented on was originally for me to put ideas as I thought of them until the structure of the book was in place and I began writing the manuscript instead. The most up to date blog on River of Heaven is the one Newt asked me to write over at D101, which you can view here: http://riverofheaven.d101games.co.uk/

As to how many pages - I'll have to refer you to Newt for that, as he is handling editorial duties.

Thanks again for the comments, I hope you like the finished product. :)

ps - glad you describe it as 'mid-hard' scifi - it is hard scifi up to a point! ;t)

Edited by Ottomancer

River of Heaven - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century