Asborn Fourborn

AndreJarosch

We all know Asborn Thriceborn (Stats in the Adventure book of "GM Screen Pack", etc.)

In "King of Sartar" (in "Events of My Life" on page 212 in purple paperback edition, page 181 hardcover edition): 

>>>
1624 Asborn Thriceborn in town. (Orlanth freed.)

1625 Orlaront raises a dragon, King Blackmoor is destoyed, Clay/Harmony/Earth. I follow Asborn Fourborn. We burn the plantations. 
<<<

What is your idea when and how Asborn gets killed and ressurrected again in 1625?

2 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

We all know Asborn Thriceborn (Stats in the Adventure book of "GM Screen Pack", etc.)

In "King of Sartar" (in "Events of My Life" on page 212 in purple paperback edition, page 181 hardcover edition): 

>>>
1624 Asborn Thriceborn in town. (Orlanth freed.)

1625 Orlaront raises a dragon, King Blackmoor is destoyed, Clay/Harmony/Earth. I follow Asborn Fourborn. We burn the plantations. 
<<<

What is your idea when and how Asborn gets killed and ressurrected again in 1625?

One possibility is in the same paragraph - Orlaront raises a dragon. Although it is weird that Asborn comes back (again) and Minaryth Purple doesn't.

Otherwise, it could have been earlier that year, e.g. in the company of King Broyan, but again, why would Asborn be the one to re-emerge from that pile of corpses?

The Battle of Pennel Ford is a distant possibility, but again, that's a mess of thousands of corpses.

So probably a way more personal demise - possibly in a duel against a champion of Blackmoor. Standing up for whom?

But then, the GM screen package still has him as Thriceborn, after the plantations were burned. Two possibilities feel somewhat plausible - either Minaryth projects a later death back to this event, or the way Asborn dies and returns is kept from common knowledge, but Minaryth is somehow privy to that secret.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Adding a thought from Enclosure 01 1997 p.11: During the summons of evil Asborn Gunnarson volunteered to be the scapegoat and erected the 13 effigies and was disowned by his father and stripped of position and possessions.

https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/GloranthaDigest/vol04/1153.html

They drove Asborn out of the clan violently which he didn't anticipate. We all spoke of Asborn as being dead. Could this be that he was called Ashborn Twiceborn because he eventually reclaimed his name from that of Horselegs by deed of some sort while living with the the Colymar, rather than having been killed for real the first time?

Curious why he was driven out, does anyone who rises the effigies for a summons of evil get driven out and if so why not pay someone from another clan to do it? What's the deal and why would they be called a scapegoat?

Does scape "goat" have anything to do with being figuratively a broo by chance. (don't really think so but was a funny thought)

16 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Curious why he was driven out, does anyone who rises the effigies for a summons of evil get driven out and if so why not pay someone from another clan to do it? What's the deal and why would they be called a scapegoat?

Being a scapegoat means that all the sins of the clan fall upon you. In this case, Ashborn might have taken the blame for the Clan's wrongdoings, expecting to be ritually cleansed in some way, but the Summons of Evil HeroQuest might have gone wrong in some way and the blame stuck, forcing him to be exiled.

I don't think that this happens to everyone, and erecting effigies is normally a good way of shifting blame to the effigies so that the Clan is safe. In Ashborn's case it went horribly wrong.

16 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does scape "goat" have anything to do with being figuratively a broo by chance. (don't really think so but was a funny thought)

It was a tradition in the real world to place all the sins on a real goat and drive it out, thus removing sins from the village. It came to mean someone who took the blame for someone else's misdeeds, often unwillingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

18 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

What's the deal and why would they be called a scapegoat?

It is better to be the scapegoat than the other goat — who gets sacrificed:

And he shall take of the congregation of the children of Israel two kids of the goats for a sin offering … And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat. And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the LORD's lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering. But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness. — Leviticus 16

Spoiler

Compare with a sin-eater who — if my infidel brain has grasped both ideas — unlike the scapegoat puts their own soul at risk in consuming the sins of others. (Everyone hopes there will be a next generation to consume their sins on death, but with all the buck passing, this surely becomes a riskier proposition with every generation — in the end times, there will be many generations of consolidated sin looking for takers. Think before agreeing to eat the sins of a sin-eater.)

William Holman Hunt: The Scapegoat

Edited by mfbrandi
unwanted auto-emoji

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

It is better to be the scapegoat than the other goat — who gets sacrificed:

Reveal hidden contents

Compare with a sin-eater who — if my infidel brain has grasped both ideas — unlike the scapegoat puts their own soul at risk in consuming the sins of others. (Everyone hopes there will be a next generation to consume their sins on death, but with all the buck passing, this surely becomes a riskier proposition with every generation — in the end times, there will be many generations of consolidated sin looking for takers. Think before agreeing to eat the sins of a sin-eater.)

William Holman Hunt: The Scapegoat

you are either the blade or the stone - Lorgar, Bearer of the Word

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

you are either the blade or the stone - Lorgar, Bearer of the Word

… or the paper?

——————————————
EDIT: Perhaps it is a matter of perspectives, of persons: “I — as bearer of the word — am paper, but you are blade (scissors) or stone (rock).”

Edited by mfbrandi
perspective
  • Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

15 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I assumed they were one and the same!?

To be fair, in modern uses, the scapegoat is one who suffers in another’s place, but not in the bible.

I guess if we called it the escape goat, the doubleness would be clear.

Spoiler
On 8/6/2023 at 3:29 AM, Erol of Backford said:

But the broo were driven into the wilderness bearing our sins. This being Glorantha, our sins may have made them monsters, so if they have now come back to bite us (or worse) in the arse, it is our fault. Should have followed Patti’s advice and owned our own sins.

Not so much sin-eaters as sin-regurgitators … with interest.

Edited by mfbrandi
aside
  • Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST