Can a Stormbull sense an Ogre

Ironwall

16 hours ago, Dragon said:

What happens when the Storm Bull rolls a fumble when close to the hundredth normal humanoid candidate? Which will happen 1% to 5% of the time. The Core Rules do not state what happens on a fumble. If it that the Storm Bull wrongly gets that pain of Chaos, and yells out 'There is Chaos about' could have nasty repercussions.

I think there are a lot possibilities, depending on who are the bullers, the ring, etc...

• Being a stormbuller doesn't mean you are a brute. Of course some are brutes, but I m pretty sure a lot of Storm Bull leaders can take a step back. After all, they are still alive. They may know that sometimes their sense of chaos can be misunderstood (I don't say Storm Bull send wrong message, no no no, I m not an illuminate, don't kill me).
  • Even if the  buller is convinced, he is not alone to decide. He may be calmed by others and can grumble that maybe some investigation is required
  • Of course if the clan is under a big chaotic threat, buller can be followed and some quick and definitive decision may be made.
  • Of course if the clan is under a despotic and fanatic chaos hunter leader, the conclusion is death

storm bullers need fanatism spell to be fanatic... so they are not all fanatic by nature. they need berserker spell to be berserker, so they are not all berserkers by nature. Of course they are inclined to destroy but not always

Returning to the question of Divination, I assume the worshippers believe their divinity to know much more than they do, even if we (as GLs) have read the rulebook and know that there are pretty hard limits to the spell. It does feel just polite asking your divinity if we should induct this guy or gal in some secret knowledge.

I would also consider that in most cases the god may know if the person in question has killed one of his worshippers (initiate and above), and maybe even if they were present at such a death, unless the worshipper was killed in holy ground or trapped in some way. IMG, if the spirit is allowed to go to their afterlife, it will share these last moments, as whatever killed them may well be a menace to the cult . 

Which is why that the divinity does not know of the person is quite good for open, geographically localized cults, because it is not a repentant apostate, or a known enemy of the cult. I probably would allow that even if they do not know details, if the character is an avowed enemy of water, a river god would get such a feeling from the general connection with the water rune.

For other cults that would include other aspects, such as: they have attended ceremonies as a lay member, they donate much or little, they really know and use the right words... Small temples may afford to know all their lay members, but in large towns or cities it may be hard to know them all. It also serves to confirm if they really were a lay member in Wilmskirk before moving to Pavis, as they try to shorten the period as a lay member, or if it is true they lapsed during the Windstop but were a good initiate in Nochet temple previously. 

All those are things the deity could confirm. The question I framed is what I think would give the better feedback for just one point. Depending on the answer, more questions could be in order. The deity may not know they are illuminated, but might know they killed other worshippers (not a negative in itself, depending on the deity but something worth investigating). Usually an unsatisfactory but not negative response is part of the failure chance, try next year, for not well known candidates.

18 hours ago, Dragon said:

What happens when the Storm Bull rolls a fumble when close to the hundredth normal humanoid candidate?

We play these games to have fun finding out, not to close down possibilities beforehand. Yes, Storm Bullies who fumble Sense Chaos rolls can cause chaos (small-c! small-c!), and I suggest GMs shouldn't spend any time working out sensible protocols, precautions and failsafes beforehand. They're anti-social drunken bully-boys, not seasoned quality assurance professionals.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

18 hours ago, Dragon said:

What happens when the Storm Bull rolls a fumble when close to the hundredth normal humanoid candidate? Which will happen 1% to 5% of the time. The Core Rules do not state what happens on a fumble. If it that the Storm Bull wrongly gets that pain of Chaos, and yells out 'There is Chaos about' could have nasty repercussions.

Maybe - the Bully didn't sense anything at all... and thus, perhaps it's time for the GM to quickly slide an ogre into the local townsfolk....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/31/2022 at 4:43 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Maybe - the Bully didn't sense anything at all... and thus, perhaps it's time for the GM to quickly slide an ogre into the local townsfolk....

I see that most of you assume the effect of a Sense Chaos fumble is to wrongly sense chaos nearby. Shiningbrow was the one who suggested that may not be the effect of a fumble. I think perhaps the rules should suggest what happens on a fumble, such as the Storm Bull gets some other effect. Like fumbling a Passion gets you turmoil. I am NOT suggesting the Storm Bull lose 1d10 skill. That would be extreme. Something more akin to doubting his Sense Chaos for the duration on the Psychic Turmoil chart (page 229 of Core Rules).

I will note that Sense Chaos doesn't suggest how to adjudicate critical or special rolls either. It does state "The skill does
not single out the source" (page 183) so I presume that still applies to critical or special rolls. So I don't think a fumbled Sense Chaos should cause, or at least necessitate,  the Storm Bull initiate to feel that familiar sense of unease around the candidate. Of course, each GM can adjudicate that differently.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 3:18 PM, PhilHibbs said:

It does not say that. To me it says that they will join local cults, as long as their chaotic nature doesn't prevent it.

This. 

They will join cults where their taint won’t out them. 

They won’t join cults where there taint will out them. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:53 PM, Dragon said:

I will note that Sense Chaos doesn't suggest how to adjudicate critical or special rolls either. It does state "The skill does
not single out the source" (page 183) so I presume that still applies to critical or special rolls. So I don't think a fumbled Sense Chaos should cause, or at least necessitate,  the Storm Bull initiate to feel that familiar sense of unease around the candidate. Of course, each GM can adjudicate that differently.

Agree, it’s important to keep track of the wording. 15 m radius, no target identifier, might be invisible spirit. So anytime Sense Chaos pings, you have to consider that some Disease Spirit might have just drifted past, or there’s a chaotic mushroom growing in the area. So I imagine it will often be a case of ”alright, no-one leaves until this is sorted out and I will kill anyone who tries” rather than ”Raaaarghhh, berserking time!” when the source isn’t obvious.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 2