RQG XU ?

g33k

So IIRC we are getting Xiola Umbar in the new Cults duology (and Prosopaedia, I presume).

I was hoping for a bit of a sanity-check.  I'm working from the RQC Trollpak (pp95-98) + RBoM.

Are her Runes still :20-element-darkness::20-power-harmony::20-power-life: (from Trollpak)?
Same Rune-magic & spirit-magic as per Trollpak (I haven't double-checked that all XU's magic still even exists in RQG/RBoM; but I can adjust if not) ?

TYVM anyone who can assist me with these.

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 minutes ago, g33k said:

So IIRC we are getting Xiola Umbar in the new Cults duology (and Prosopaedia, I presume).

I was hoping for a bit of a sanity-check.  I'm working from the RQC Trollpak (pp95-98) + RBoM.

Are her Runes still :20-element-darkness::20-power-harmony::20-power-life: (from Trollpak)?
Same Rune-magic & spirit-magic as per Trollpak (I haven't double-checked that all XU's magic still even exists in RQG/RBoM; but I can adjust if not) ?

TYVM anyone who can assist me with these.

Still Harmony/Dark/Life according to the Well's prosopaedia. I'd assume the same magic as well, though I'd check RQ3's Gods of Glorantha to see if anything got added. the GoG writeups seem to be closest to what RQG uses.

1 minute ago, JDM said:

The draft version of Cults of Glorantha shows :

Comfort Song, Couvadc, Dismiss Darkness Elemental (small only), Healing Trance, and Summon Darkness Elemental (small only).

Is "couvadc" your typo, or Draft-CoG's typo?  😉

Trollpak has several other spells:  Turn Blow, Attract Attention, Group Defense, Shield of Darkness (Chief & High Priests only); all are RBoM spells, though of course (and alas!) RBOM doesn't have the Cult-specific info.

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

😉

Trollpak has several other spells:  Turn Blow, Attract Attention, Group Defense, Shield of Darkness (Chief & High Priests only); all are RBoM spells, though of course (and alas!) RBOM doesn't have the Cult-specific info.

I'd expect she'll get all the RQ2 spells. 

I wonder if Healing Trance could regrow limbs or heal characteristic loss? It never seemed like a very useful spell. It could serve as Troll version of those spells if it did. From a Gloranthan ecology standpoint you'd think Trolls would be able to heal those wounds themselves. Hard to imagine a ZZ Death Lord asking a CA healer to grow his arm back. 

As an aside, maybe Healing Trance should work with the Darkness rune. It's Life and Harmony in RBoM and it's the spell XU gives ZZ as an associate cult. The irony of a Zorak Zorani getting an xp roll in either of those runes for making that spell work is delicious, but why would they give up a point of Power to be able to try?

On 4/18/2022 at 12:38 AM, Frp said:

I'd expect she'll get all the RQ2 spells. 

I wonder if Healing Trance could regrow limbs or heal characteristic loss? It never seemed like a very useful spell. It could serve as Troll version of those spells if it did. From a Gloranthan ecology standpoint you'd think Trolls would be able to heal those wounds themselves. Hard to imagine a ZZ Death Lord asking a CA healer to grow his arm back. 

As an aside, maybe Healing Trance should work with the Darkness rune. It's Life and Harmony in RBoM and it's the spell XU gives ZZ as an associate cult. The irony of a Zorak Zorani getting an xp roll in either of those runes for making that spell work is delicious, but why would they give up a point of Power to be able to try?

Since the sacrificed POW is added to their runepool they aren't giving it up, but I can't see it being very high on their choices. ZZ has a lot of spells to choose from.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:38 AM, Frp said:

Same with Eiritha who gets Shield from Waha (says Storm Bull in the rules, but that's a mistake). They have opposite runes as well, so an Eirithan will always have a hard time using this spell. That's just the way it is. At least with Healing Trance you're not going to be in such a rush as an Eirithan might be with Shield! A day of ritual prep and an augment should get even the most disorderly and deadly ZZ up to a decent chance of success.

Confirmed from the Dragonmeet (Dec 2019) draft: Xiola Umbar Rune Priestesses still get Attract Attention, Group Defence, Turn Blow, and Shield of Darkness, four cult special Rune spells which aren’t available to initiates.

JDM listed the Rune spells available to initiates.

There are also a handful of Enchantments available to Rune Priestesses, but they’re fairly boring and it’s getting late.

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 1:38 AM, Frp said:

you may find some zz whith harmony (life should be weird, I agree) some poor trolls who had/wanted to join a desperate cult for any reason, but who were not, and stille are not, exactly a zz. Those guys are important, kind of medic in a little destroying task force. More heal, more destruction.

9 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

you may find some zz whith harmony (life should be weird, I agree) some poor trolls who had/wanted to join a desperate cult for any reason, but who were not, and stille are not, exactly a zz. Those guys are important, kind of medic in a little destroying task force. More heal, more destruction.

Having played a Death Lord, or two, medic ZZs were not a thing in our games. There was always someone willing to patch you up on your way out of town, or that would "volunteer" to tag along into the chaos nest to see to your medical needs. No need to recruit from within. An XU, that I'm happy to see well represented in RQG, were always best to have along. Except Mom would say to bring 'em back in one piece. 

3 hours ago, Frp said:

Having played a Death Lord, or two, medic ZZs were not a thing in our games. There was always someone willing to patch you up on your way out of town, or that would "volunteer" to tag along into the chaos nest to see to your medical needs. No need to recruit from within. An XU, that I'm happy to see well represented in RQG, were always best to have along. Except Mom would say to bring 'em back in one piece. 

then, in this case, no issue to have only harmony and life for healing trance 😛

that's my point. you can have a ZZ with a weird (runes speaking) XU spell because this ZZ is weird or you don't need to learn this XU spell because there are other  ways  (as you described) to obtain its effect.

There aren't any ZZ rune spells that are Disorder-only. Seal Wound is the only spell they get that they can use with Disorder (other than the common rune spells of course) so it's entirely possible to get by as a ZZ with high Harmony and low Disorder runes. You might be setting yourself up for a fall with heroquest identity challenges down the line though.

(Did anyone else see the title of this thread and think "RQG Extended Universe?")

Edited by PhilHibbs