Yinkin in society, holy places

Joerg

On 8/16/2022 at 12:13 PM, Cassius said:

Does any learning language spell exist in the rules books ? I don't think so. It would be rules breaking because it  would make learning a language too easy for the PCs.

Translate, a rune spell, would give the user the equivalent of a Rosetta Stone for any written language.

Anyway, if you can suspend disbelief enough to believe in an intelligent (awakened) snake, why choke on it being able to talk?  Folk tales and at least one bronze age legend I recall, have talking animals.

Now, I would be tempted to play little awakened animals with a little squeaky voice.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Anyway, if you can suspend disbelief enough to believe in an intelligent (awakened) snake, why choke on it being able to talk?  Folk tales and at least one bronze age legend I recall, have talking animals.

It's hard to say why, for anyone, the line between the believable and the unbelievable runs here rather than there.

I'd see the possibility of an animal speaking a human language, even if they don't have the organs to do so, as an exception and not the rule. Such animals would be particularly important from a magical or mystical point of view.

After all, in order to speak the draconic language, human beings have to undergo a 'surgical' operation because they don't naturally have the right organs to speak that language. I really like this idea. I could admit, however, that there are some exceptional humans who don't need this operation.

Finally, I quite like the idea of non-verbal communication between a human being and an awakened animal. It seems interesting for the RP, both for the GM and the player.

Edited by Cassius

3 hours ago, Cassius said:

It's hard to say why, for anyone, the line between the believable and the unbelievable runs here rather than there.

I'd see the possibility of an animal speaking a human language, even if they don't have the organs to do so, as an exception and not the rule. Such animals would be particularly important from a magical or mystical point of view.

After all, in order to speak the draconic language, human beings have to undergo a 'surgical' operation because they don't naturally have the right organs to speak that language. I really like this idea. I could admit, however, that there are some exceptional humans who don't need this operation.

Finally, I quite like the idea of non-verbal communication between a human being and an awakened animal. It seems interesting for the RP, both for the GM and the player.

Of course an awakened animal can speak whatever the appropriate language is. Humans and animals used to be the same after all.

Auld Wyrmish is something else entirely!

4 hours ago, Cassius said:

their are two categories :

- awakened beast (and half beasts) as "people" : ducks, baboons, manticores, minautors, griffins ?  (I think), etc... the exception is the individual not able to speak

- awakened beast among not-awakened beast: then they are the exception of their non sentient people.

As you said, there is no need to have our world requested organs to speak in glorantha. Or you are planning to destroy ducks, baboons and others chimeras.

So for me the point is anyone (sentient + mundane) is able to speak any language based on words.

After all, in order to speak the draconic language, human beings have to undergo a 'surgical' operation because they don't naturally have the right organs to speak that language.

the big issue with the draconic language is that is considered as a verbal language (and it was in previous version as you "just had" to split your tongue to be able). However, rqg says that this language is not a verbal one. The verbal part seems to be 25% (the human limit) or about. You need other senses, draconic senses (magic ? other plans access ? smell ? aura ?...), to be able to "speak".

What I like with this new definition is precisely the issue is no more a question of organ (the tongue). So that is, from my perspective, totally consistent with animals able to "speak"

I could admit, however, that there are some exceptional humans who don't need this operation.

well personaly, not without something external to the human nature. Not a physical surgery, but a mystical transformation (maybe with surgery,for sure). these humans should not be "full humans" anymore

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cassius said:

I could admit, however, that there are some exceptional humans who don't need this operation.

Don't look at me... 🥴

Bad enough I'm one of the rare "low-tongue S" speakers. Went through five years of speech therapists before managing R and S. S is traditionally a high-tongue -- the tip of the tongue is against the back of the upper teeth (if the whole tongue is high, one probably gets a proper French "tu" sound). My tongue is against the lower teeth with a slight up-turn on both sides. My R still sometimes slips into Elmer Fudd mode...