Glorantha CRPG?

svensson

1 hour ago, svensson said:

So, it's been three years since the announcement that Black Shamrock was creating a Glorantha-themed computer game.

But not a word about it since. Black Shamrock's website doesn't even list Chaosium as a client.

Much as it pains me to ask, did this project die?

Nope.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, svensson said:

... Black Shamrock's website doesn't even list Chaosium as a client...

I'm surprised that there is NO mention of Glorantha/RuneQuest/Chaosium on Black Shamrock's website.  But if the anticipated release is far-enough out, it makes some sense to avoid the dreaded accusation of "vaporware" (which premature promotion can incite).

OTOH, I wouldn't expect "client" to be the likely category... partner, licensor, etc...?

I guess we'll see more when... well, when there's more to be seen!  🤩

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, g33k said:

I'm surprised that there is NO mention of Glorantha/RuneQuest/Chaosium on Black Shamrock's website.  But if the anticipated release is far-enough out, it makes some sense to avoid the dreaded accusation of "vaporware" (which premature promotion can incite).

OTOH, I wouldn't expect "client" to be the likely category... partner, licensor, etc...?

I guess we'll see more when... well, when there's more to be seen!  🤩

3 years is a loooong time for a project to be worked on, and not have any mention about (if it is actually happening. It's typical for games that are dying/dead - or not being worked on at all at the moment, but might be in some distant future).... And I just read that the average time (I think it was from announcement) to release is 5 years...

I'm of two minds about the length of time in development...

On the one hand, the 12-year-old wants to open his present NOW!!!

On the other, I have a deep and abiding affection for three RPGs /settings: Runequest/Glorantha, Traveller/OTU, and L5R/Rokugan. I would LOVE to have computer RPGs developed with the attention to detail and love of the milieu that I have coupled with the same skill and innovative that have given us the stellar titles that so many of us love... the writing of Baldur's Gate, the open world exploration of Witcher 3 etc. etc.

And on the third hand, I don't want the game to be a hustle wrapped in a boondoggle like Star Citizen and I don't want it to have the launch day issues of Cyberpunk 2077. Let me note that I pre-ordered CP77 and played it on PC. I got my money's worth in the game, but I completely understand those who wanted to play it on console being pissed off. They were sold a bill of goods and that bill didn't deliver. Nevertheless, I'm still pretty impressed with CDPR for the amount of transparency they had, their wilingness to refund the full purchase price immediately, and the efforts they made to fix the problems. Not many game companies would take that level of responsibility, certainly not Bethesda Softworks, or BioWare, or Ubisoft... all of whom once had stellar reputations but then pee'd all over them in the last 5 to 8 years.

Quality takes time and I certainly don't want to rush Black Shamrock. What I would like to see is some kind of progress announcement. I'd like to know what kind of computer game they're developing. I'll be a lot more excited about an RPG than I would for a fantasy battle simulator, for example. And if the average development time for a new property is 5 years, then 3 years isn't an unreasonable time frame to start previewing the early Alpha development.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

what kind of game is it ?

I mean something like wow, cyberpunk, etc.. is very much complex than king of dragon pass or stuff like this (even if it is a very nice game, that is not the point).

it depends on a lot of things. 3 years may be very long or very short

That's kind of what I'm getting at. We don't know what kind of game it'll be and that's certainly something I'd like to know!

3 hours ago, svensson said:

On the one hand, the 12-year-old wants to open his present NOW!!!

We can say this about the Computer Game, GM Pack, HeroQuesting Rules, and so on.

I want them all now, but am patient.

Hopefully, I will see them all before I die.

A lot of people, however, are not as patient and are far more vocal than I am ...

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here