Orlanth’s Thief Aspect

Erol of Backford

Is this a sub-cult or is there a write up somewhere with detail? Also is there a Vingan derivative? 

Is Desemborth Orlanth was posted by g33k but I didn't see where to find more.

Desemborth = Thief was noted by JustAnotherVingan from Thunder Rebels.

image.png.2a4f45d4592a40fe084cd8b84d182622.png Wouldn't Dark Walk be part of this aspect? (sorry if this was detailed previously...)

40 odd years ago in CoP, it was written that Orlanth stole the Sandals of Darkness (Dark walk) from Kyger Litor and it was part of Orlanth Adventurous's magic weapons subcult. 20 years ago it became a whole subcult of the Orlanth Adventurous subcult in addition to the magic weapons subcult. Now we're back to normal times where it's just Orlanth adventurous again and back to just part of Orlanth Adventurous's magic weapons subcult. As Heortling Mythology and Sartar Kingdom of Heroes say, it's one of Orlanth's 49 names, and IMHO we don't need a cult for every name a deity has (especially Loud-Thundering Husband of Ernalda and Tat).

You can search for Desemborth here.

As for Vinga stealing stuff under the name Desemborth, that's a different name of Orlanth. Vinga is likely called just Vinga if she steals stuff, so a Vinga Adventurous initiate could join the magical weapons subcult. I would expect there to be a thieves guild in Boldhome or Nochet that has Orlanth Adventurous as their patron.

One thing I can tell you for sure, Orlanth Adventurous isn't a mask of Lanbril or any other thief god (Greg made that very clear when I asked him).

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

27 minutes ago, David Scott said:

One thing I can tell you for sure, Orlanth Adventurous isn't a mask of Lanbril or any other thief god (Greg made that very clear when I asked him).

I had a chat with Yelm about this, and this is what he told me (through his spittle-flecked beard):

Some other thief god? No. Orlanth is the very type of a thief: he stole my wife, my throne, half my family, and my life. Me, rightful emperor of the universe! Adventurous, schmadvanturous — what is an “adventurer” but a prettied-up cutpurse, footpad, highwayman, pirate, assassin, or regicide? Well? Tell me! What?!

At this point, he had plasma shooting out of his ears, and he had to retreat to his padded cell withdraw to his imperial staterooms.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Basically, Orlanth is a great many things, including a thief. This aspect of his being, like many others, has sometimes been given its own name and identity as one of the Thunder Brothers, in this case Desemborth, who will appear as a distinct character in myths like "The Plundering of Aron." But for the purposes of actual cult worship, a thief who initiates to Orlanth is, 9 times out of 10, just a normal initiate of Orlanth Adventurous, which provides no shortage of magic useful for a thief's work.

Certainly there could be some obscure local sub-cult somewhere dedicated to Desemborth or some thieving Orlanthi hero with some unique thievery-related magic, but that would be more of a "local flavor" thing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Is this a sub-cult or is there a write up somewhere with detail?

Hero Wars covered this. If you want to use it, have a look at my converted Hero Wars material, which links in to the Book of Doom spells for RQG and might be a goof place to start. My gut feeling is that this will not be detailed in RQG.

Also is there a Vingan derivative? 

Vingans can join Desemboth's Subcult as easily as normal Orlanthi.

Wouldn't Dark Walk be part of this aspect?

Probably not, as this is a specific Subcult that taught the spell to Wind Lords. Desemborth might get the spell in the same way, just not only to Wind Lords.

Desemborth is probably subsumed into the Orlanth Adventurous cult.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I would play it that a thieving orlanthi magical group may use Desemborth, or some other name, to separate themselves from the above the board Orlanth temple. I would allow as a special case that their shrine teaches as its special rune spell Darkwalk, without needing to join the Four weapons, which means normal initiates can learn the spell.

• Thanks 1