New MRQII setting

GianniVacca

Sure! Being Italian, I'm quite interested... in the setting as well as in the RQ-ita corebook.

Is the fantasy novel on which it's based any good? Gianni, did you read it? I guess Rosen Mc Stern, being among the authors of the sourcebook, has read the novel...

When I heard about the novel my gut reaction was negative: WTF, an Italian fantasy novel with an English title? Why 'The King'? Wouldn't "Il Re Nero" be cool enough as a title? But my guts might be horribly mistaken and 'The King' might be the most powerful creation of Italian genius after the Dante's Divine Commedy, Michelangelo's Sistina and the pizza margherita...

Tell us more about the novel!

No, unfortunately I haven't read it (I live abroad, so it's quite difficult for me to buy Italian products). I guess it's "generic"/Tolkienesque fantasy, with elves, orcs, etc.

Paolo definitely does know a lot about it.

It is only mildly Tolkienesque, in fact. You have elves and dwarfs, but the Goblins (equivalent to the orcs of other settings) are not evil creatures, they are somehow like Gloranthan trolls. What is really, really interesting is that you have "dark" elves similar to D&D Drows, the only difference is that they live beyond the sea instead of underground. The book contains also the theme of the Redemption of Dark Elves (Shazir), so you can play the equivalent of, say, Drizzt'do'Urden, or Viconia DeVir of Baldur's Gate, without having to use D&D. This is absolutely the best part of it, as the dark elves are more three-dimensional than the other races.

The magic is all pyrothecnics and flashbang. There are seventeen schools of magic (which cost me several long nights of writing) and "instinctive" magic (Ajaran) that you may possess without even knowing it, and can kill you if you lose control of it. And "do-it-yourself" demons like in Stormbringer. The black people (Warantu) have a shamanistic culture, and they look almost done on purpose to test Loz and Pete's new Spirit Magic rules :)

It does not require much study to play, but is peculiar enough to avoid the deja-vu effect of some other settings.

The only problem is that I do not know if and when they will translate it.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Try info@asterionpress.com, they will answer.

Or try http://stores.ebay.it/La-Grotta-di-Merlino, it has Italian products and sells abroad.

All this sounds much like "Campanile sera" to me. Why the @#@@ should Italian publishers make so good editions and then fail to ship to FRANCE or GERMANY???

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

LOL!

I could tell you horror stories about Italian internet bookshops shipping to Lugano (just across the border in Switzerland!) at the same rate they ship to Australia!

La Grotta Di Merlino is a very cool ebay shop and apparently ships everywhere. I've bought several things from them. Shipping rates are not unreasonable, but they are not cheap either.

OK, I haven't read the novel, but I've received the parcel this morning. Unfortunately I've only been able to skim through the setting book, but it looks promising... I maintain it's pretty "generic" fantasy with brooding elves and warlike dwarves, but there is a dark and gloomy overtone to the setting which makes it quite interesting. More "Warhammer" than "Forgotten realms" :)