Bladesharp, Bludgeon & Dullblade: I wonder why…

Agentorange

We have one  boosting spirit magic spell for bladed weapons - bladesharp
One  for impact weapons - Bludgeon.

But only one reduction spell dullblade which affects both bladed and impact weapons.

Surely for the sake of cosmic symmetry and to avoid winding me up we should have dullblade AND dullclub  😁

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Surely for the sake of cosmic symmetry and to avoid winding me up we should have dullblade AND dullclub  😁

Dullblade & Softclub.

"Boffer" is the Godlearner spell.

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Bladesharp, Bludgeon & Dullblade: I wonder why…
17 hours ago, Agentorange said:

But only one reduction spell dullblade which affects both bladed and impact weapons.

😆

9 hours ago, g33k said:

Dullblade & Softclub.  "Boffer" is the Godlearner spell.

😂 Boffer?  I love it!  "Come at me with your pool noodle you damn dirty troll!"

More seriously, I think Dullblade needs to be viewed from the perspective that afaik only Chalana Arroy teaches the spell (apart from shamans).

20 hours ago, Agentorange said:

The best symmetry would be if one spell boosted sharp weapons and penalized blunt ones, and the other was the opposite!

So why not bring in something like Bluntpoint as well, that works on spears?

11 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Any spells that weaken objects, like Dullblade, are likely to be of more limited use. Reducing their utility further by making them specific to blades vs. clubs just invites non-use.

True that, but it also makes them more interesting when you're in a territory that is surrounded by foes who are particularly known to use a particular type of weaponry. So, Softclub is particularly common around Troll lands, and Bluntpoint where Yelmalians hang out (a particularly fun spell for Humakti).

Granted, one could always just go the route of saying they're all the same spell, with different names as appropriate to the area or cult that's teaching it, and which affect everything equally...

One of the issues in having 1 spell affect all 3 melee damage types is that good old Humakt can't learn it - because they'd never dampen the damage (and maybe not skill either) or a sword-wielder. Having different spells may alter that, so it can affect blunt weapons (such as that of their enemy, ZZ... and their rival, Yelmalio).