Why so few monsters published for 7th edition.

General Ork

1 hour ago, General Ork said:

But only one 128 page monster book.

The RQ Bestiary is 200+ pages, so a bit more than you note. This covers a fairly extensive range of non-humans as it is. 

However, you will find additional creatures and spirits in The Smoking Ruin, Pegasus Plateau, and the Red Book of Magic.

The RQ Classic works: Gateway Bestiary, Griffin Mountain, and Trollpak (to name a few) also have additional creatures that are fully usable.

• Like 1

Runequest has extensive rules, a very extensive world, and magic. But only one 128 page monster book.

Is there a reason the game has so few officially published monsters?

Is there any plans to release more extensive monster compilations?

I guess there's several responses to that...firstly as Jajagappa has observed there are in fact many more monsters out there than just the bestiary. Next it's worth pointing out that the focus of RQG so far has been central Genertela - Dragon Pass and Prax. As other parts of Glorantha are explored I'd imagine we'll see other creatures being available,In the RQ3 bestiary there were several Pamaltelan creatures, it's quite possible they may re appear.

The Jonstown Compendium has a variety of products with extra monsters ranging from spirits to creatures, there's a couple of little bestiaries and products like Secrets of Dorastor are full of gruesome goodness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, General Ork said:

Personally, I don't find over 180 a few. I never used more than maybe a quarter of those.

• Like 7

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Ok, so I got the page count wrong.

But, my point is that there should be - for a Fantasy TTRPG - a bigger and more extensive bestiary and having additional monsters all spread out in bits in other products is not as good as having a more extensive bestiary. One should not have to buy a couple of extra books, and worse yet previous editions to get further creatures.

Releasing a second bigger and more extensive bestiary would add to Runequest significantly.

So is there any plans to add additional creatures, and maybe collect the additional ones into a second bestiary.

Runequest is a great game, but is lacking in extensiveness in a few areas. Fleshing that out would add greatly to the game.

But I am new to Runequest and moved to it from DnD 5E. I am glad I did and like the game more. However I feel that a more extensive second monster book would greatly enhance teh game for me and other new players. I am not going to start a new system and have to go all over the place to get creatures, or decide to design my own.

In short, Runequest does lack a range and volume of creatures compared to competitor games and no matter how you slice this cake that is a fact. Maybe the majority of Runequest fans from older editions don't feel this is an issue at all.

• Helpful 1

12 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Personally, I don't find over 180 a few. I never used more than maybe a quarter of those.

180 is not a lot, compared to other major RPGs its quite a few. And using only a quarter, In 1 year of playing I have used half. Each person has there own style of play and GM style.

I’m a new-ish fan of the game compared to many folks on here, and I find the Bestiary to be adequate. But I get where you’re coming from. There are a few ways to diversify or expand the available beasts. For Chaos creatures, you can always add chaotic features from the list. Spirits and demons are also meant to be sort of DIY (and remember some can take physical form). Finally, making a monster an initiate of different gods can change up an encounter in interesting ways. For example, fighting Zorak Zoran trolls with zombies can feel very different from fighting Gorakiki trolls riding giant grasshoppers.

• Like 2

There are many answers:

The current edition of Runequest is not a generic RPG. A generic RPG needs Orcs, Goblins and Hobgoblins and a lot of other species because a GM may want to make them a part of their setting. I am not sure if most GMs use all monsters and species in their Bestiaries. Their is no orcs or goblins in Glorantha so you dont need them.

The Bestiary seems to lack Pamaltelan monsters and species. You dont need those until there is a Pamaltelan sourcebook. That probably will include those.

Pamaltela is not the only region in Glorantha with unique monsters. I guess that future sourcebooks for Krarorela, Pent and the West will include their unique monsters. 

Spirits and Chaos beings are very flexible. It is easy to see that the spirit category can include dozens of different variants that would have their own heading in other RPGs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are quite a few more in the Gateway Bestiary as well: https://www.chaosium.com/gateway-bestiary-pdf/, which are for RQ2 but easy enough to use with the latest edition. The RQ2 Trollpak also has a few that aren't in the current bestiary: https://www.chaosium.com/trollpak-pdf/. As noted already, there are many, many more spread across specific publications both official and on the Jonstown Compendium (e.g. check out Anaxial's Manifest: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/377924/Anaxials-Manifest?affiliate_id=1107865). If you want an overview, there's an index to published monsters from before the current edition in the Meints Index to Glorantha: https://www.chaosium.com/mig3-the-meints-index-to-glorantha-pdf/

Personally: I'm more than happy with what's currently available. Like most people's RQ games, I don't play it as a monster hunt. You can encounter trolls many times, and the experience may be different each time. And much of my game is about interaction between human tribes and cultures. But if you are after monsters, there are plenty more waiting for you in other existing publications.

• Like 2

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

But I am new to Runequest and moved to it from DnD 5E. I am glad I did and like the game more. However I feel that a more extensive second monster book would greatly enhance teh game for me and other new players. I am not going to start a new system and have to go all over the place to get creatures, or decide to design my own.

In short, Runequest does lack a range and volume of creatures compared to competitor games and no matter how you slice this cake that is a fact. Maybe the majority of Runequest fans from older editions don't feel this is an issue at all.

...And using only a quarter, In 1 year of playing I have used half. Each person has there own style of play and GM style.

As you note it does come down to where you're starting from and your style of play.

I know in my case, despite a long time playing RQ, I've not felt a lack of creatures (and certainly the range of spirit options is quite extensive).

As of this point, I've not heard of anything in the pipeline for a second Bestiary. I do know that my Heortland manuscript included additional Chaos creatures for the Footprint and other unusual beasts for the Stone Wood, so you are likely to continue to see creature additions through that and other setting locations (e.g. new works for Pavis/Big Rubble, Snakepipe Hollow, etc.). Perhaps at some point a range of additional creatures will be compiled and consolidated out of the various works, but that's clearly for Chaosium to decide vs other priorities.

• Like 5

I like your energy. What kinds of creatures in particular are missing for you to run the kind of game you want? I ask because it takes time to develop any line of GM options . . . current RQ has only been out for about five years and they've been kind of crazy years. Of course that's no excuse so it would be helpful to know what sort of encounter slots you consider poorly supported. If you need monsters, let's get you some monsters.

One challenge they have right now is that current RQ is world specific. If there's no room for an animal, spirit or other entity in Glorantha, it won't appear here. That's a limiting factor compared to the kitchen sink drama other publishers provide. Another factor is that RQ "forked" off other roleplaying franchises extremely early, before the term "monster" got set to mean fantasy species. Back then, a "monster" was any encounter, from the old lady you meet at the post office to the leviathan that cleans the sea. The developers took an approach that the differentiating part of the encounter was on the inside where it comes out in play . . . the external stats could become a little streamlined and even generic. 

foes.png.e0a1799f9083ff556ed89b48c1745aab.pngAt one point they even sold a sourcebook advertising 1200 "monsters" for a penny apiece. They were really NPCs . . . not unique fantasy species because that book would have needed to be a little under 1000 pages long, cost more than $12 and been a daunting enterprise to come up with that many on the go even with the help of a computer. (And we get what we pay for when a computer does the writing.) That DNA is with us today. RQ can cheerfully generate infinite NPCs. That's what it's interested in doing.

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

Call of Cthulhu is not a monster hunt either but has more monsters than Runequest, and having to look at previous editions, convert monsters etc and look up lists of products is not quite satisfactory.

And surely Runequest, as a RPG should be flexible to many styles of play.

Point is I questioned
"Is there a reason the game has so few officially published monsters?" - This is not an attack on Ruequest and how many monsters there is in the current edition is merely a publisher choice, not something intrinsic to Runequest as a RPG system. But no one has really addressed this and has only stated they personally do not need more or where to find more in previous editions or how they play Runequest. But unless Chaosium wants Runequest to always be a niche game and not compete with DnD having more monsters will be important to some people, but not to all. So IS there a reason?? Is it just because the old fan base sees no need?

Is there any plans to release more extensive monster compilations? - No answers to this so far. This is the most important need.

I would also point out there is a lack on
1) Game Mastery Guide (to be addressed at some point I do know as a future publication).
2) Adventures - Only 2 PRESENT edition adventure books.

Now, I think the Runequest core rules, and game world of Golarion are really good, better to my tastes than DnD. I would like to get more people to play and see the game grow and not be Call of Cthulhu's (currently) Cinderella sister.

That means attracting new people.

To do that you need
1) Offer a variety of styles of gaming - and that needs more monsters in ONE new book.
2) More adventures in the current edition.
3) The GM Guide ASAP.

It needs be seen, is Runequest for the old and loyal player base AND attracting new blood???

Again, I an NOT attacking the game, in fact I really love it and have no complaints. I am merely trying to see if in the FUTURE there will be more monsters and adventures and if not is there a reason Chaosium have chosen not to do so, so far or feel it is unnecessary to do so in the future.

6 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

I like your energy. What kinds of creatures in particular are missing for you to run the kind of game you want? I ask because it takes time to develop any line of GM options . . . current RQ has only been out for about five years and they've been kind of crazy years. Of course that's no excuse so it would be helpful to know what sort of encounter slots you consider poorly supported. If you need monsters, let's get you some monsters.

One challenge they have right now is that current RQ is world specific. If there's no room for an animal, spirit or other entity in Glorantha, it won't appear here. That's a limiting factor compared to the kitchen sink drama other publishers provide. Another factor is that RQ "forked" off other roleplaying franchises extremely early, before the term "monster" got set to mean fantasy species. Back then, a "monster" was any encounter, from the old lady you meet at the post office to the leviathan that cleans the sea. The developers took an approach that the differentiating part of the encounter was on the inside where it comes out in play . . . the external stats could become a little streamlined and even generic. 

foes.png.e0a1799f9083ff556ed89b48c1745aab.pngAt one point they even sold a sourcebook advertising 1200 "monsters" for a penny apiece. They were really NPCs . . . not unique fantasy species because that book would have needed to be a little under 1000 pages long, cost more than $12 and been a daunting enterprise to come up with that many on the go even with the help of a computer. (And we get what we pay for when a computer does the writing.) That DNA is with us today. RQ can cheerfully generate infinite NPCs. That's what it's interested in doing.

I would say, that as a Bronze age game there is a world (hundreds) of Bronze Age mythological creatures that make perfect sense in Golarion, and what if someone wants to play in parts of Golarion that are "off screen". Then mythology of the heavens in the Bronze age included (say take Sumerian myth) hundreds of creatures populating the air, the moon and the heavens. There is also plenty of dungeon style adventuring and monster slaying quests in old mythology. Plus, should Runequest not also be flexible enough to play non "Cannon Golarion" games or must everyone constrain themselves to only that.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, General Ork said:

Then mythology of the heavens in the Bronze age included (say take Sumerian myth) hundreds of creatures populating the air, the moon and the heavens.

These are good notes. You're in luck: the upcoming Cults of Glorantha series will fill in a lot of that later this year. It's been a long time coming but we're almost there at last. It should help fill the gap. Also, if you like the RQ engine but are looking for a broader source pool that goes beyond the Gloranthan canon, MYTHRAS actively supports several settings that can be mined for stats.

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

There is a lot of stuff in the pipeline and the mentioned GMs guide is a priority that we will see late this year or (probably) 2024. That include stuff we NEED.

I dont see why Chaosium cant publish a second bestiary at some point. But we first need the Cults books, the GMs Guide, the Sartar Book, books about Prax, Tarsh, the Holy Country, Sorcery/Malkionism/Invisible God, Heroquests and the Great Argrath Campaign. So the queue is long 😉

But Anaxials Manifest mentioned above is a good start to get more monsters.

Edited by Soccercalle
Forgot
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, General Ork said:

I would say, that as a Bronze age game there is a world (hundreds) of Bronze Age mythological creatures that make perfect sense in Golarion, and what if someone wants to play in parts of Golarion that are "off screen". Then mythology of the heavens in the Bronze age included (say take Sumerian myth) hundreds of creatures populating the air, the moon and the heavens. There is also plenty of dungeon style adventuring and monster slaying quests in old mythology. Plus, should Runequest not also be flexible enough to play non "Cannon Golarion" games or must everyone constrain themselves to only that.

Golarion ?

even allowing for autocorrect that's a long way from Glorantha  😃

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

As you note it does come down to where you're starting from and your style of play.

I know in my case, despite a long time playing RQ, I've not felt a lack of creatures (and certainly the range of spirit options is quite extensive).

As of this point, I've not heard of anything in the pipeline for a second Bestiary. I do know that my Heortland manuscript included additional Chaos creatures for the Footprint and other unusual beasts for the Stone Wood, so you are likely to continue to see creature additions through that and other setting locations (e.g. new works for Pavis/Big Rubble, Snakepipe Hollow, etc.). Perhaps at some point a range of additional creatures will be compiled and consolidated out of the various works, but that's clearly for Chaosium to decide vs other priorities.

Off topic I know, but i was always surprised nothing concrete had been written up for adventuring in the Footprint and Stone Wood. Now looking forward to this immensly.👍

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, General Ork said:

I would also point out there is a lack [of] Adventures - Only 2 PRESENT edition adventure books.

Please come and visit the Jonstown Compendium, Chaosium’s community content programme: we have dozens of highly-regarded RuneQuest adventures waiting for you to discover them. If you want to know the best-selling and highest-rated stuff, pick up my cheap Catalogue, or just explore the store’s hottest/most popular lists. More than thirty of the most popular titles are available in print.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

I would also point out there is a lack [of] Adventures - Only 2 PRESENT edition adventure books.

Please come and visit the Jonstown Compendium, Chaosium’s community content programme: we have dozens of highly-regarded RuneQuest adventures waiting for you to discover them.

This is probably out of date, but I did a breakdown of where Jonstown Compendium Scenarios were set. I should probably add monsters to that list.

image.png.e0e1e1a4951fb6711053d775c76b5cf6.png

image.png.d17d73b05b7825fbef68f302fa2b0ff4.png

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Releasing a second bigger and more extensive bestiary would add to Runequest significantly.

So is there any plans to add additional creatures, and maybe collect the additional ones into a second bestiary.

Now, if they DID release another bestiary of some sort i would buy it.

Is there any particular area of monsters you feel that are poorly served ?

For example, do you think the Dinosaur section is good....but the chaos creatures section is a bit thin ? Maybe you like the troll section but think the spirits are wafer thin  ?

If you were in charge and could wave a magic wand and have anything you like what would you really want to see in another bestiary ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, General Ork said:

Probably because it focuses on Gloranthan monsters, not generic ones.

But, my point is that there should be - for a Fantasy TTRPG - a bigger and more extensive bestiary and having additional monsters all spread out in bits in other products is not as good as having a more extensive bestiary. One should not have to buy a couple of extra books, and worse yet previous editions to get further creatures.

That argument has been made for numerous things, for example Cults, Non-Humans, and Regions. The only real answer is "Wait and see what comes out", which is not particularly helpful.

Looking at the alphabetical list of creatures, there are 230 creatures listed, which is a fair amount.

Runequest is a great game, but is lacking in extensiveness in a few areas. Fleshing that out would add greatly to the game.

The trouble is that the monsters from Jonstown Compendium are from many authors and it would be tricky to collect them into one Bestiary. Also, Chaosium probably have other priorities than making up new monsters. That is what people like me are for!

As a fan of RuneQuest from long ago, I would love for all the previous monsters to be collected into a Bestiary, as it would make my life easier.

Call of Cthulhu is not a monster hunt either but has more monsters than Runequest, and having to look at previous editions, convert monsters etc and look up lists of products is not quite satisfactory.

For me, part of playing RuneQuest is interacting with non-humans. Sometimes they are intelligent foes or allies, sometimes they are just monsters. So, I see RuneQuest as definitely being part monster-hunt. That is why I have included monsters in most of our Dorastor series, many of which could be used outside of Dorastor, in any Chaos Nest.

I would also point out there is a lack on
1) Game Mastery Guide (to be addressed at some point I do know as a future publication).
2) Adventures - Only 2 PRESENT edition adventure books.

The lack of some of the material in a Game Master's Guide is something of a frustration to many of us. It has been pointed out that RQ2 didn't have one, and RQ3 had one as part of the boxed set, but that isn't a help to RQG GMs.

As for Adventures, I have posted some figures, that are now out of date, showing how many adventures are in the Jonstown Compendium. Sure, some people don't count them, as they are not official, but they can still be used in a campaign. My eventual aim is for Dorastor to have more scenarios than Sartar, but I am not sure how achievable that is.

5 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

s there any particular area of monsters you feel that are poorly served ?

For example, do you think the Dinosaur section is good....but the chaos creatures section is a bit thin ? Maybe you like the troll section but think the spirits are wafer thin  ?

If you were in charge and could wave a magic wand and have anything you like what would you really want to see in another bestiary ?

I was going to ask the same thing. Maybe we can point General Ork towards more monsters.

When I get my finger out, I'll be able to produce the 13th Age Glorantha to RuneQuest conversions for Monsters, but my finger is well and truly stuck at the moment. I have great artwork for it but a stationary finger.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, General Ork said:

Runequest has extensive rules, a very extensive world, and magic. But only one 128 page monster book.

Is there any plans to release more extensive monster compilations?

So far the Bestiary covers most of the non-human entities player characters are likely going to have meaningful interactions with if they are adventuring in Genertela (where probably 99% of all RQ campaigns take place). From my point of view, the main thing that it is missing are sea creatures (the only triolini presented are the ludoch) and creatures from beyond Genertela. Those will have to wait.

Now there are few new monsters that appear in new books - Duckbears, various Beast Peoples, and so on. Maybe eventually they will get collected into a new edition of the Bestiary. 

• Like 6

But Runequest is more than just Glorantha. While it is great that Runequest is based strongly on Glorantha it is more.

A lot of people responding here are stating that in Glorantha we just do not need more monsters than X.

Should the 7th edition come with a label: "Warning game only applicable to Glorantha."

I know it says role playing in Glorantha. But yet it also advertises itself as a general role playing game system and that you can create you own worlds.

What if someone wants to use Runequest, but run a campaign in say their own world, or even adapt a book. Whatever, its RPG so no limits.

Or is Runequest ment to be deliberately limiting and anyone using it outside of a strict cannon version of Glorantha is wandering in the wilderness with no support.

So the original 1E of Runequest was published as a game one could use for Glorantha or ones own world.

3E was not Glorantha.

Does 7E need be constrained by Glorantha cannon.

Should one's Glorantha game be constrained?

Now you can just say, Runequest == Glorantha and if you want your own stuff write it up, don't bother us, or go play DnD.

That is fine, but how can the game appeal to a wider audience (who may in turn become keen supporters of Glorantha) in such a case, and why should it.

As I have said, the rules of Runequest are very good, and could be made to support so many game worlds, even generic ones.

So is the "Its not in Glorantha." answer justify no further monster books????

Sounds honestly like a great resource to
1) Develop as a significant product on Jonstown Compendium with several collaborating authors with high quality art and production. If you want a monster book to compete with other RPG books it absolutely requires very good colour art and good descriptions for every monster in 2023.
2) Kickstarter it.
3) Ideally this could be done working with Chaosium with them editing and setting art standards to meet consistency with official Runequest 7E existing monster compendium.
4) Include "generic" creatures to allow the game to be used in other non Glorantha campaigns. And add to such creatures how they could fit into Glorantha or if not why in cannon Glorantha this creature is not reccomended.
5) Add more bronze age, Indo European, Sumerian, Indian, creatures that can be used for monster hunts.
6) Expand on spirits and demons, the Sumerians had over 3000 distinct demons listed, same for Egypt, bronze age Greece had many spirits and Demons (the kind that could be good or evil, not teh Demons of evil in modern times), then there were extensive lists of Genie that existed long before Islam, good and evil Genie, the hordes of Undead from ancient Bronze age Hells that became the many Buddhist hells. Then spirit animal and animist animals, such as teh dozens of snake types, and Naga. Sea creatures, mythical underground creatures.

Point is there is in a bronze age world justification for hundreds of creatures more, and mythology behind each and every one, complex histories and heor quests in myth involving them.

Unless we are 100.00 % bound to present cannon of Glorantha.

I am not a game designer, so not something i could do as I have a full time very busy job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, General Ork said:

But Runequest is more than just Glorantha. While it is great that Runequest is based strongly on Glorantha it is more.

ENORMOUS SNIP  😆
I am not a game designer, so not something i could do as I have a full time very busy job.

i do get what you're saying here, i also think RQ could be adapted for other settings - even real earth settings. RQ3 had a very well respected Vikings supplement ( if you ever get the chance to buy a copy, do so ) The problem for Chaosium is that Gloranthan Runequest is the focus of their endeavers at the moment and realistivcally that's likely to remain the case. there's a huge amount of material in the pipeline but due to the Gods of Glorantha logjam i imagine they're not where they would like to be in terms of product schedules.

Now, could RQ be used by a licensee to produce other settings ? i'd say yes looking at RQG some aspects could easily be adapted. Imagine an ancient Greek Setting , lots of the monsters in RQ are derived from Greek mythology and as you say there's plenty more that could be written up. The Runes wouldn't translate across well, but the Passions would  eg: Loyalty ( Athens ) , Worship ( Zeus ) Hate ( shouty spartan king ). Magic could port over spirit magic and Divine  magic ( magic  ) maybe even sorcery rooted in greek philosophy or some such justification 🙂

But....there's another kid on the block that does that - Mythras  which is derived from the same RQ/d100 engine and has a lot of supplements already out - including fantasy earth. i think they have a fantasy Greece in the works. the Legend rpg from Mongoose also has it roots in the same ruleset, though not much has happened there in a long while.

So......Chaosium could could try and break new ground, but they'd be competing with other companies. On the other hand they and they alone have Glorantha so it make sense to focus there. But after the initial flurry of production , the release schedule does seem to be glacially slow.

18 minutes ago, General Ork said:

A lot of people responding here are stating that in Glorantha we just do not need more monsters than X.

Should the 7th edition come with a label: "Warning game only applicable to Glorantha."

I know it says role playing in Glorantha. But yet it also advertises itself as a general role playing game system and that you can create you own worlds.

What if someone wants to use Runequest, but run a campaign in say their own world, or even adapt a book. Whatever, its RPG so no limits.

Or is Runequest ment to be deliberately limiting and anyone using it outside of a strict cannon version of Glorantha is wandering in the wilderness with no support.

So the original 1E of Runequest was published as a game one could use for Glorantha or ones own world.

3E was not Glorantha.

Does 7E need be constrained by Glorantha cannon.

Should one's Glorantha game be constrained?

Now you can just say, Runequest == Glorantha and if you want your own stuff write it up, don't bother us, or go play DnD.

That is fine, but how can the game appeal to a wider audience (who may in turn become keen supporters of Glorantha) in such a case, and why should it.

As I have said, the rules of Runequest are very good, and could be made to support so many game worlds, even generic ones.

So is the "Its not in Glorantha." answer justify no further monster books????

Sounds honestly like a great resource to
1) Develop as a significant product on Jonstown Compendium with several collaborating authors with high quality art and production. If you want a monster book to compete with other RPG books it absolutely requires very good colour art and good descriptions for every monster in 2023.
2) Kickstarter it.
3) Ideally this could be done working with Chaosium with them editing and setting art standards to meet consistency with official Runequest 7E existing monster compendium.
4) Include "generic" creatures to allow the game to be used in other non Glorantha campaigns. And add to such creatures how they could fit into Glorantha or if not why in cannon Glorantha this creature is not reccomended.
5) Add more bronze age, Indo European, Sumerian, Indian, creatures that can be used for monster hunts.
6) Expand on spirits and demons, the Sumerians had over 3000 distinct demons listed, same for Egypt, bronze age Greece had many spirits and Demons (the kind that could be good or evil, not teh Demons of evil in modern times), then there were extensive lists of Genie that existed long before Islam, good and evil Genie, the hordes of Undead from ancient Bronze age Hells that became the many Buddhist hells. Then spirit animal and animist animals, such as teh dozens of snake types, and Naga. Sea creatures, mythical underground creatures.

Point is there is in a bronze age world justification for hundreds of creatures more, and mythology behind each and every one, complex histories and heor quests in myth involving them.

Unless we are 100.00 % bound to present cannon of Glorantha.

RuneQuest is not marketed as a generic fantasy roleplaying game system by us - RuneQuest is our game set in Glorantha. Basic Roleplaying, on the other hand, is precisely that. It is the engine that underlies RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, and Pendragon. And we are doing quite a bit more with Basic Roleplaying.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1