Supplement Wishlist

soltakss

When you see a BRP Supplement, what kinds of things would you like to see included?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. When you see a BRP Supplement, what kinds of things would you like to see included?

I voted for...

Backgrounds/Professions

Bestiary

Equipment/Magic Items

Gazeteer

Scenarios

and

Spells/Psionics/Magic

Now, this obviously depends greatly on the subject of the supplement so I chose as if it was a "generic" setting book. A "monster" book would require far less obviously and a book on "time travel" would require one or more timeline(s).

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

While I would like all of the options, I voted for what I consider the bare minimum

for a (setting) supplement, gazetteer and scenarios, the description of what is

to be found there, and how the characters can interact with it.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Guest Vile Traveller

I'm just as minimalist, I just want gazetteers and scenarios. I'm not a fan of rule-bloat, especially scattered throughout supplements. There are (literally) more than enough rules in the BGB for my tastes.

Well it depends on the setting for some of it - such as magic. I think there are enough skills in the BGB to cover most anything with nothing more than a name change. A time-line if it's pertinent. If we have a good background, bestiary and gazetteer we don't really need a scenario - just add some adventure hooks and let people go from there. If you are going to add equipment then a clear explanation of how it helps add to skill checks would be nice.

No Gods - No Masters

Scenarios - adventures are what it's all about.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Other: Good Maps. Everybody loves 'em.

I voted Gazeteer and Scenarios, but of course it kind of depends on the type of supplement. If a setting warrants it Skills, Backgrounds, spells and even equipment should be included if they are not covered by the BGB. But then if every supplement includes it's own magic/powers, backgrounds, and equipment there are a lot of unnecessary pages in the BGB...

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Scenarios/plot hooks and related bits (bestiary, NPCs and equipment info) for me... not that I'd necessarily use them straight up... but I'd mine them for ideas and elements... mix and match. It's always great to see the rules put to creative use... stretched to new limits.

What I don't want are loads of new skills/powers or additional rules... unless they're really necessary to carry off some new genre/setting.

These days I prefer supplements that describe a world*: a Gazetteer, Scenarios, Timelines (a place needs a history), and variant or new powers if necessary. (I'm never happy with generic magic or psionics; tweaking those is another way to make a world different.) The other stuff, if present, should flow out of the world description, or events in that world.

* A "world", here, could be a single island, valley, or town ... any sort of sandbox I can play in.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

These days I prefer supplements that describe a world*: a Gazetteer, Scenarios, Timelines (a place needs a history), and variant or new powers if necessary. (I'm never happy with generic magic or psionics; tweaking those is another way to make a world different.) The other stuff, if present, should flow out of the world description, or events in that world.

Yeah, this. I'm looking for inspiration. So give me your creative output and feel free to push the boundaries in doing so. Feel free to include anything off that list that furthers that goal. Chances are - if its something I haven't really seen before and fires my imagination, I'll take it.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Yeah, I can get a lot of mileage out of those... rough sketches of scenarios are often of more use than the fully fleshed out sorts.

And they are a lot easier to write ;)

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here