Ingenew Redson & His Swords

Erol of Backford

In the Gods War, Humakt lost his original sword and needed replacements, so Inginew made them for him. Inginew’s father was Gustbran the Smith, but Inginew specialized and so surpassed even his father. He made many famous blades: the Diamond Blade; the first sword forged from iron, called Uz-Cleaver; Mazta’s Invisible Sword; the Wind Sword; and many others. Initiates first learn metallurgy and basic weapon crafting then may learn to use the Death Rune to enchant swords.

Besides the Windsword the Air’s weapon. Made of tempered iron, it has a Truestone bound into the hilt... These don't show up in the Well of Daliath.

Who is able to locate them or hypothesize why are they sitting on some dead king's chest, impaled in stone or being wielded currently by some hero want-to-be?

I see that Mazta is noted as an (air spirit) possibly its made from some sort of form set air but then why would Ingenew have made it, possibly he could use any material to to create a weapon?

Beat Pot has a cleaver but surely its not the Uz-Cleaver?

The Diamond Blade, maybe a lycanthrope dinosaur in Dorastor has it?

We all know where the Windsword is but what of the others?

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

I see that Mazta is noted as an (air spirit) possibly its made from some sort of form set air but then why would Ingenew have made it, possibly he could use any material to to create a weapon?

Mazta's Sword appears in Plunder. Like the wind, it is invisible. Mazta was destroyed in the Gods War though.

They would be wherever you decide to put them. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

This seems difficult?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was that simple, as when I went on the Well of Daliath "Mazta" didn't show. Also I saw "Mazoo's Tooth" in my Plunder hard copy but no "Mazta" there either.

I'd appreciate you showing me how you might search for it Akhor so I know better for future?

Uz-Cleaver, the Diamond Blade or the Unbreakable Sword?

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was that simple, as when I went on the Well of Daliath "Mazta" didn't show. Also I saw "Mazoo's Tooth" in my Plunder hard copy but no "Mazta" there either.

I'd appreciate you showing me how you might search for it Akhor so I know better for future?

Uz-Cleaver, the Diamond Blade or the Unbreakable Sword?

Thank you!

I was trying to make a joke about the difficulties of finding an invisible blade that's laying about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

In Plunder, since it's a pdf, you go to your Search bar and enter "Mazta". Your Search spell will reveal him! (But if you've only got hardcopy, then the spells don't succeed as well.) 🙂 

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I was trying to make a joke about the difficulties of finding an invisible blade that's laying about.

I am a little slow, as you might guess, my middle name is quick, it would be difficult to find, invisible and all... thanks for explaining. 🙂

Surprised the Wind Sword and Mazta's Sword were crafted by the son of a god but are not more powerful? I suppose in the hands of a deity, like the snakepipe, the powers are enhanced?

18 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I am a little slow, as you might guess, my middle name is quick, it would be difficult to find, invisible and all... thanks for explaining. 🙂

Surprised the Wind Sword and Mazta's Sword were crafted by the son of a god but are not more powerful? I suppose in the hands of a deity, like the snakepipe, the powers are enhanced?

Plunder is really old, don't expect it to make as much sense as you'd like.

19 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Surprised the Wind Sword and Mazta's Sword were crafted by the son of a god but are not more powerful?

Maybe they are but you have to uncover the heroquest secrets or invoke the right god powers to do so? Not really sure what needs to be more powerful though.

• Like 1

before reading all the answers I imagined that all these swords were done from gods (or very elders people) so before time, so not in mundane world

Does that mean that the wind sword in mundane Balazar is this kind of gear ? so poor / weak were the gods ?

Seems to me impossible that this kind of swords are the best you may craft when you are the best god in this domain ?

or is it just because we see the "mundane" sword and if you got it and visit the god plan you see another level of power, something that a standard sword is unable to provide ?

I would imagine then that the compromise is not about gods, but about everything/everyone from the god plan. So the swords ?

5 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Seems to me impossible that this kind of swords are the best you may craft when you are the best god in this domain ?

200% agree, if I am following you, if forged by Ingenew, the swords would likely take possession of any non-hero level mortal who touches them IMO.

Spoiler

The powers in the right hands, like the Snakepipe, would be a 10 factor or more as noted in the old scenario?

I think that was the premise of the Elric of Melnibone's sword, Stormbringer or something like that. These swords would have a will most certainly more powerful than your average mortal?

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

uncover the heroquest secrets or invoke the right god powers

So you get the Windsword and after that epic quest, then a PC would need to Hero Quest to truly unlock its powers...

I always figured "Uz-Cleaver" was a call-out to the sword Orcrist, "also called the Goblin-Cleaver," from The Hobbit.

• Helpful 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

7 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Do tell!

I should set up a contest as to where these swords are - who has them.

Uz-Cleaver, the Diamond Blade or the Unbreakable Sword

Besides under Otra's bum...

The Unbreakable Sword is broken, and shards can be found in Dorastor.

Collecting the pieces and reforging them seems like a worthy HeroWars activity.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

if I am following you, if forged by Ingenew, the swords would likely take possession of any non-hero level mortal who touches them IMO.

oh I was not saying that a sword from a smith god has/is a spirit, that is another point. Just that a sword with a max dammage 30 seems to me too mundane and not really divine

In my opinion, a sormbringer-like may exist,even forged by gods. But for me the sources would be :

- a god who become itself the sword (somewhere like Humakt, and why not when the sword was broken, humakt was not anymore able to be the sword but "only" the bringer, just a thought)

- a god / great spirit who was trapped by an evil god/hero/powerful person (evil  from the perspective of the bound god's pantheon) or judged by other (in that cas, that's the bound god who is evil from th pantheon's perspective)

I don't imagine any "good" smith god trapping a "good" god to make a more powerful sword (or other gear)

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

The Unbreakable Sword is broken, and shards can be found in Dorastor.

Collecting the pieces and reforging them seems like a worthy HeroWars activity.

I felt this to be true but it was listed as just speculation... noted in the Your Dumbest Theory thread:

So there you have it, from Land of Doom, you can get parts of the Unbreakable Sword and that of Nysalor's body.

Speaking Wheel (Orta is sitting on Speaking Wheel) knows where the rest of the parts of Nysalor's body are and if you bring them all to the Dwarves they will reassemble him without the egg shell and vines...

Nysalorankenstein (my daughter was reading Frankenstein for school when I wrote that several weeks back)

image.png.96622090ca85f2efa49f04f2aca3602f.png

14 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

oh I was not saying that a sword from a smith god has/is a spirit, that is another point. Just that a sword with a max damage 30 seems to me too mundane and not really divine

I agree, how would a god kill a true dragon or something like the Bat with a sword that on a critical does 32 max damage 2d6 x 2 even with 100d6 damage bonus? (What would a god's damage bonus be?) to exceed armor and hp on the Bat's chest you'd need about 100d6 and a critical with a standard 2HD sword... 

On 4/24/2023 at 6:44 PM, AlHazred said:

"Uz-Cleaver" was a call-out to the sword Orcrist, "also called the Goblin-Cleaver,"

felt the same but was too chicken to say that... I still like the general idea though. Iron swords (made in Gondolin) do double to trolls and elves, quadruple if blessed to do double damage...

18 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I felt this to be true but it was listed as just speculation

That doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't true

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

21 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Are you hinting that some of those Dorastor scenarios you wrote have interesting scenario climaxes with big, rude, ugly, disgusting things?

That sounds highly unlikely, doesn't it?

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Crazy, I found the write-up for Ingenew: TotRM 15 p. 55, while looking for a better map of the Krjalki Bog... funny. So he's a half god, a demigod, it helps ease the thought that his weapons are not so powerful or maybe less so in the hands of a normal human... funny that a certain god knocked him out and so he was forced to serve him and so learned his smithing skills. Good stuff.