QUASAR A science fiction space opera universe

Might be going with "Emprise"...which is just another name for module. I dunno. My wife says keep it familiar 🤷‍♂️

Anyway the first Emprise, or module, is in development. It will include a kinda horror  introductory scenario and deck plans (battlemaps) for at least two freighter class or larger starships as well. 

I'm thinking each Emprise will have some larger ship deck plans included. That's one thing I always missed in other sci-fi RPGs. Whata you good folks think?

Of course this is just a prototype image and all just to get my juices flowing...

The creators of Event Horizon might take issue😀Screenshot_20240222_220428_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e60b214c4df0c1dd3ee5cb805daa3986.jpg

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

12 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Might be going with "Emprise"...which is just another name for module. I dunno. My wife says keep it familiar 🤷‍♂️

I think "Emprise" doesn't really fit...  It's archaic, not modern (let alone futuristic)... and (as your wife suggests) an unfamiliar word to many (I suspect).

Maybe "Mission Profile" or "Project Briefing" or "Datafile" or somesuch?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

I don't think "Emprise" works. It seems artificial, or some sort of take on Enterprise.  If you want another word that means module you could use for adventures that sounds more futuristic,  try something like capsule or capsule adventure.

The thing is with "module" is that the word module refers to something that is a section or part of something bigger. It's connotations with "adventure scenario" stems from old D&D, where it was used to refer to their "series" adventures (A Series, D Series, G-series, etc.) which were  indeed modular. It got misinterpreted in the  early days and used as a generic term for an RPG adventure because TSR used it.

If your adventures are going to be part of a inter-connected narrative "module" fits. but if they are self contained adventures the module is out of place. 

But that's just my two cents.

• Helpful 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:49 AM, Atgxtg said:

I don't think "Emprise" works. It seems artificial, or some sort of take on Enterprise.  If you want another word that means module you could use for adventures that sounds more futuristic,  try something like capsule or capsule adventure.

The thing is with "module" is that the word module refers to something that is a section or part of something bigger. It's connotations with "adventure scenario" stems from old D&D, where it was used to refer to their "series" adventures (A Series, D Series, G-series, etc.) which were  indeed modular. It got misinterpreted in the  early days and used as a generic term for an RPG adventure because TSR used it.

If your adventures are going to be part of a inter-connected narrative "module" fits. but if they are self contained adventures the module is out of place. 

But that's just my two cents.

I tend to agree with these comments. I also would like to point out that the word Adventure' could also be used or combined with another word like 'Adventure Segement'. I checked an online Thesaurus with the word module and it gave some words that may work for you. So while I agree with another person that the word module is archic, language and meanings of words will change. Kinda like playing Postman through generations. 'Postman refers to the game children play of whispering in another persons ear and the next person does into another's ear and so on until it travels completely around a group and back to the first person. Then the children look at how the meaning and the words changed. Kinda like gossip.)

Example using the words I used would be 'An adventure segment for Starship 'Argo'. (Argo was the name of the ship in the Greek Mythlogy 'Jason and the Argonauts'.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by Ethereal
Misspelled word.

Adventure segment? Does that mean this is only part of it, and I have to buy more? Don't confuse people, your objective here is to communicate what you are offering, not to impress or be original.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hix said:

Adventure segment? Does that mean this is only part of it,

Yes, that is what "module" meant too,- modular adventure. Someone who bought S1 could then buy S2 and S3 to continue the adventure.

5 minutes ago, hix said:

and I have to buy more?

Have to? No. That the company want's you to, and is setting things up to make it easier to sell you more by organizing things that way, certainly. TSR could have bundled any of their series modules together to get a series of linked adventures similar to RQ's Borderlands, but they chose not to. Exactly why is unknown. IT could simply be that they determined the $6-7 price point for a module would be more successful than a $20 bundle. 

5 minutes ago, hix said:

Don't confuse people, your objective here is to communicate what you are offering, not to impress or be original.

Well, if the adventures are modular in some way then that is what is being offered. If  an author is not original or fails to impress, who would want to buy their stuff? It's hardly a selling point.

That said, I do agree that the idea here is to communicate what is being offered. Potential customers have to be able to figure out what the product is. I'd much rather see "Adventure" or "Scenario" on a product than some archaic term I'd have to google. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

This has all been very helpful. Thank you all. I sit corrected 👍

Don't worry about us all that much, nor our corrections. At the end of the day it is your product line and you get to call the shots (not to mention your money at stake) Naturally the rest of us will second guess you decisions and speak as if we could do it better, but you are the one actually doing it, not the rest of us. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Don't worry about us all that much, nor our corrections. 

However some of you do follow my progress and even purchase my materials.

Not only that but the good people of this group have held my hand and taught me a LOT since back when I was a newb. And even now.

The decades of experience with BRP and RPGs in general here is such a valuable commodity! 

I'd be a fool and an ingrate not to listen. 👍

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

On 2/27/2024 at 3:34 PM, tooley1chris said:

However some of you do follow my progress and even purchase my materials.

Not only that but the good people of this group have held my hand and taught me a LOT since back when I was a newb. And even now.

The decades of experience with BRP and RPGs in general here is such a valuable commodity! 

I'd be a fool and an ingrate not to listen. 👍

That's nice,even praiseworthy, but you'd also be a fool and a coward not to listen to yourself. You're the one who put your time and resources into making and sustaining your game. If was your decisions and abilities that got your game this far, don't give up on yourself now.  You are the one doing the work and taking the risks, so you are the one you really have to make happy. The rest of us are a bonus.

So while you can, and probably should listen to fellow gamers, fans & customers, you aren't not obligated to follow any of our suggestions or advice (including my advice here in this message). In other words, listen to me and feel free not to listen to me, or don't listen to me and feel free to listen to me. Oh, and if you figure that out, please explain it to me. 

Besides, it's not like the rest of us are all going to agree on just what is the right thing to do anyway!

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 3/5/2024 at 2:27 PM, tooley1chris said:

SmartSelect_20240305_162515_FotoPlay.gif.51ad1510a75e2f32dce6881d0f77cb4e.gif

I can imagine a future where people can get ☝️that☝️ -- animation & all -- as a postcard in their (snail)mailbox!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, g33k said:

I can imagine a future where people can get ☝️that☝️ -- animation & all -- as a postcard in their (snail)mailbox!

Ah but unlike this site, theirs will include the audio😀

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 5:27 PM, tooley1chris said:

SmartSelect_20240305_162515_FotoPlay.gif.51ad1510a75e2f32dce6881d0f77cb4e.gif

Maybe you should do a thread where you just list the various QUASAR products that are available as well as what is in the works? That way people can go there to see if something they have been anticipating is out yet.

The idea would be a thread with just your releases without that chatter (that can go in other threads like this one).

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Peter Fitz said:

I'm wondering why a reptilian species would have such massive boobs, or any boobs at all?

Lol!

With ya! Ai Art isn't perfect just yet. I actually saw AI made this pic and TRIED to make her have 4 breasts just to be MORE weird but it wouldn't do it 😀

Edited by tooley1chris

2 hours ago, Peter Fitz said:

I'm wondering why a reptilian species would have such massive boobs, or any boobs at all?

Not boobs...  Those are some massive cojones, man!

😉

(more seriously, the overall "humanoid" bodyplan shouldn't be presumed to mean every aspect is identical; maybe that's a water-reserve from an arid-planet species, or ducts for holding a binary-ignition incendiary, or etc etc etc).

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)

Uploading my first draft of QUASAR Core Print on Demand to DTRPG for approval. Wish me luck. Gods of Cobal I hope I got this right. Theyre so picky

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 4

Ok I finally got QUASAR Core book to work with DTRPGs format bot and its off to the printers for approval!

It'll be hard cover with full color or B&W options. Can't wait to order myself a color copy 😎

I'll post here when PoD is available. 

Hope the next 2 books go quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1