Monster Coliseum or Basic Creatures

rustorod

I was looking to get a compilation of classic RPG monsters. Which monster book would be a good choice Monster Coliseum or Basic Creatures. I was going to be running MRQII along with using the BRP gold book. Any thoughts about either book would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

I was looking to get a compilation of classic RPG monsters. Which monster book would be a good choice Monster Coliseum or Basic Creatures. I was going to be running MRQII along with using the BRP gold book. Any thoughts about either book would be appreciated...

BASIC Creatures is the old AH/Chaosium RQIII Creatures Book with no real amendments to reflect the difference sin BRP - it's a great book but not 100% in line with BGB BRP (or MRQ2), but it's cheap and the differences are easy to adapt on the fly.

MRQ2's Monster Coliseum is more expensive but purpose written recently for MRQ2 and in addition to the "usual suspect" of classic monsters and an admixture of Gloranthan beasties there are some original creations like the Iqari.

Honestly, it depends on your budget as either will server you well.

Cheers,

Nick

Finally got to download this...its very handy to have. Chaosium really should contact the author about putting out a proper monster monograph like this for BRP.

Honestly, with BASIC Creatures already available, don't think we need another "monsters" monograph - what we need a full distribution Basic Role Playing Bestiary with all new art and a good spread of creatures for all genres and styles of play.

How likely such a thing on the other hand...

Nick

what we need a full distribution Basic Role Playing Bestiary with all new art and a good spread of creatures for all genres and styles of play.

And not another rehash of a reprint of a reprint of all the same creatures Sandy Peterson came up with in 1980 in the Gateway Bestiary. I don't recall seeing any (well not many) new creatures since then. =|

And not another rehash of a reprint of a reprint of all the same creatures Sandy Peterson came up with in 1980 in the Gateway Bestiary. I don't recall seeing any (well not many) new creatures since then. =|

Oh, that's not entirely fair. The RQ3 Creatures book did come up with some new creatures. Or at least ones that were "new" to RQ.

As for the drought since then, I'd blame that on the fact that Chaosium degenerated into the "CoC Company" during the late 80s, and didn't do much else of any significance for a couple of decades other than break up.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Honestly, with BASIC Creatures already available, don't think we need another "monsters" monograph - what we need a full distribution Basic Role Playing Bestiary with all new art and a good spread of creatures for all genres and styles of play.

How likely such a thing on the other hand...

Nick

Agreed....I'd love to see a Malleus Monstrorum suited for the multi-genre approach to BRP.

Whoever wrote that download seemed like a good place to start, was all I'm suggesting =)