New Pavis Thief Tunnels

ChrisWentWhere

I noticed in "City on the Edge of Forever" (which is fantastic by the way) mention of 'New Pavis Thief Tunnels' in one place which would be immensely helpful, but I've not been able to find anything else about them, is there anything else out there at all - if not I will just make something up of course, but whenever I do that it seems it comes back to bite me on the arse...

Cheers

Okay, so New Pavis doesn't have a sewer system (it has drains), but it does have a lot of basements, and quite a few of them connect.  Of course using the tunnels is fraught, as you are moving thru someone's property. Allegedly some of these tunnels are magical in nature, perhaps the product of Lanbril Divine Intervention?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darius West said:

Okay, so New Pavis doesn't have a sewer system...

Not pertinent to Pavis, but I want to encourage GMs who set games in cities that do have sewers to employ pockets of noxious gases that more often than not kill intrepid adventurers outright.  Confined spaces should not be trifled with.  Don't forget to bring a canary, or an air elemental, or both!

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
  • Like 4

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

As further information this was in Ian Thompson's excellent supplement (I have looked in the others too) and referred to  getting into and out of the Rubble (so a sort of Secret Secret Secret Tunnel...). I was thinking if I have to make it up of less a tunnel than a crack in the wall in the basement one of the buildings which a suitably skinny (SIZ<13) person could squeeze through. Perhaps that odd looking building behind the Beleagered Buffalo... You emerge into a small pit with a ladder. The pit is covered in a false roof covered in dust and surrounded by various spiny bushes. For obvious reasons only senior initiates know about this, and it is normally only used at the dead of night... 

3 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

employ pockets of noxious gases more often than not kill intrepid adventurers outright.  Confined spaces should not be trifled with.  Don't forget to bring a canary, or an air elemental, or both!

Yes, good point!

Reminds me of the old Nomad Gods counter "Gas": 'Gas attacks on a whiff of air, trying to drive men mad enough to run into their lairs in the marsh... [Gas] can only be removed by a successful Shaman's attack or by the Three-bean Circus.' (While that was explicitly for the Devil's Marsh, I see no reason not to take advantage of it at a smaller scale in sewers such as those of Nochet.)

image.png.91e759de07fa295d2377653cbfb44663.png

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Not pertinent to Pavis, but I want to encourage GMs who set games in cities that do have sewers to employ pockets of noxious gases that more often than not kill intrepid adventurers outright.  Confined spaces should not be trifled with.  Don't forget to bring a canary, or an air elemental, or both!

!i!

While that is true not just for sewers but also for any other kind of confined underground cavity, keep in mind that most ancient world sewers are first and foremost drainage systems for rainwater, often with the additional purpose to collect the water for cisterns, rather than the almost sludgy stuff in the collection tubes from modern cities which often have separate systems for rainwater, too (if for other reasons - mixing rain water with highly polluted water actually makes treatment harder and more expensive).

So, when you set up a sewer system, first think whether you have toilets flushing into this system. Most toilet systems in older cities were mainly holes in the ground collecting whatever fell into them, with the liquid slowly seeping into the ground around them. Dangerous places if you fell in - there is one report from Lübeck where a groom and his brother lost their lives down in the loo on the wedding.

Trolls can eat anything, including air, and possibly also bad air. There might be trained food trollkin tasked with eating up the bad air in the tunnels.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 9/4/2023 at 6:44 PM, Ian Absentia said:

!i!

Canaries are scarce in Prax, and a noisy way to detect gas pockets for a thief.  Small rodents are probably a better choice. 

Going underwater in a totally dark tunnel with no certainty there is a way forwards, and no easy way to get a sense of direction if you get turned about should be a SAN check imo.  Putrid water makes it that much worse.

Sometimes physical obstacles are worse than enemies.

On 9/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, ChrisWentWhere said:

As further information this was in Ian Thompson's excellent supplement (I have looked in the others too) and referred to  getting into and out of the Rubble (so a sort of Secret Secret Secret Tunnel...). I was thinking if I have to make it up of less a tunnel than a crack in the wall in the basement one of the buildings which a suitably skinny (SIZ<13) person could squeeze through. Perhaps that odd looking building behind the Beleagered Buffalo... You emerge into a small pit with a ladder. The pit is covered in a false roof covered in dust and surrounded by various spiny bushes. For obvious reasons only senior initiates know about this, and it is normally only used at the dead of night... 

Well, the answer is to get your hands on Shadows of Pavis, the 2003 Ian Thompson publication.  That has maps and everything....but finding one for sale might be difficult.  Am sure that Ian will get around to reproducing that stuff in his new series

• Like 1

P

4 hours ago, Nozbat said:

Just doing some research on tunnels...

The Limburg tunnels or Limburg Mergelgroeven were from mining limestone underground.. could this be were the stone for Pavis came from?

https://www.urbex.nl/limburgse-mergelgroeven/

The Pavis Rubble notably has two surface quarries operated by the City cult with the aid of the Flintnail dwarves. The dwarves excavate tunnels, and will need to get rid of their excavated material, some of which might be used for masonry and the rest possibly for gravel. The trolls near the Troll Break have dug (or gnawed) their own tunnel systems, which may connect to others. Many of the human survival sites in the Rubble have their own underground chambers and tunnels with hideouts and nasty traps to surprise invaders.

Most of the bedrock of Prax appears to be limestone or sandstone. Soil cover may vary. But the Big Rubble occupies some of the best grazing and farming land in Prax, which indicates a healthy layer of topsoil above the bedrock in most places.

Limestone gravel is a good ingredient for burnt chalk, which in turn is the ingredient for mortar and plaster, but fuel might be a problem.

Telling how it is excessive verbis