Typographical question on BRP:UGE book

:
I bought the Basic Roleplaying UGE book both in pdf and in paper version, but in the latter I have great difficulty reading it, it's written too small... For me it's really unusable 😞 and it's a very sad thing. 
Let me start by saying that I don't have problems with glasses, I read all my other game manuals until I wear them out.

The QUESTION is: do you think there is a way to print it for me (e.g. lulu.com or something else if you know) at a SLIGHTLY larger size?
I'm not talking about the fonts, I mean the larger size of the pages.

Thanks for any help!

40 minutes ago, Questbird said:

I caratteri sono piuttosto piccoli in BR:UGE, soprattutto nelle tabelle. Ma ci sono molte informazioni da inserire.

Disclaimer: ho bisogno di usare gli occhiali in questi giorni 🤓

...they were also in the BGB, but they were readable there 😉 

The new printing of the rulebook uses a (slightly) larger font, and everyone who purchased the .pdf should receive an updated .pdf when it is available. 

I'm not sure a larger-print edition is possible, given the effort in re-laying out the book and market confusion. 

That said, the text is all available under the ORC. Should anyone want to give a go for doing a version with larger font sizing, they are free to do so. 

9 hours ago, Jason D said:

The new printing of the rulebook uses a (slightly) larger font

Is the new printing "weeks", "months" or "years" away? I am only asking because I try to bundle several books in a single order to save on shipping and I planned BRP to be in my next batch. Happy to change my plans if the new printing is on the horizon. 

20 minutes ago, Saki said:

I'd count on Months, between finishing the PDF updates, issuing to the printers and reviewing proof(s), actually doing the print run, then shipping to distribution. 

Thanks, it makes a lot of sense. I missed the fact that the next printing would be based on the errata'ed file, and therefore, was not already sent to printers.

On 1/11/2024 at 4:21 PM, Saki said:

I'd count on Months... 

Given that we have @Jason D himself in-thread -- and he didn't actually say where in the process a "new printing" is -- I think I'd hold off on ordering 'til he loops back here (if size of typeface is an issue for you).

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 1:44 AM, DreadDomain said:

Thanks, it makes a lot of sense. I missed the fact that the next printing would be based on the errata'ed file, and therefore, was not already sent to printers.

I'm currently making the edits to the file. The tables use a clearer and slightly larger font. We could not go with a much larger font, but it is noticeably more readable. 

I'm simultaneously creating an errata document for all changes that affect game mechanics. (I am not including things like typos or slight cleanup of language.) 

• Like 6

Thanks Jason.

If its possible to include in the errata - two rules I found when reading that I'd like clarity on are:

Do Magic Spells that can be dodged (Like Blast or Fire) still require overcoming the target's resistance after a successful hit, per the general rule on Page 55?

Is the Slung Shield rule on Page 178 intended to function during combat?  That is, is it intended that a shield could be left slung while fighting in order to "passively" block several hit locations?  Or is the rule only meant to apply against attacks made against the wearer when they aren't actually fighting yet?

On 1/10/2024 at 5:24 AM, Questbird said:

The fonts are quite small in BR:UGE, especially in the tables. But there is a lot of information to pack in.

Disclaimer: I do need to use glasses these days 🤓

LOL! Me too. I used to be able to read that small font in the RQ2 APPENDICES, and old C&S was entirely written in something like a 4 point font, which I went through with no problem. Now, I'm lucky if I can read the chapter headings without glasses.  

I wonder, as the average age of table top RPGers increases will we wind up with LARGE PRINT editions of all the old RPGs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

28 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

LOL! Me too. I used to be able to read that small font in the RQ2 APPENDICES, and old C&S was entirely written in something like a 4 point font, which I went through with no problem. Now, I'm lucky if I can read the chapter headings without glasses.  

I wonder, as the average age of table top RPGers increases will we wind up with LARGE PRINT editions of all the old RPGs?

one of the forums i'm on has something like 90% of the gamers over the age of 40 and 50% are over the age of 50. I think it is a reasonable thing to expect. nothing below 11 point

13 minutes ago, Raleel said:

one of the forums i'm on has something like 90% of the gamers over the age of 40 and 50% are over the age of 50. I think it is a reasonable thing to expect. nothing below 11 point

As a member of the Grognard Brigade, I think it may ultimately be a matter of contrast, though size is certainly a factor.  Artistic, evocative backdrop shading and design, and font color often render layout difficult to read.  It's like those bot-foiling security codes.

!i!

• Like 3

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

25 minutes ago, Raleel said:

Sad, but probably true. Not a good thing for the hobby though. When the day comes where the majority of tabletop RPG players are getting the senior discount, then the hobby will probably be like rotary telephones.

5 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

As a member of the Grognard Brigade, I think it may ultimately be a matter of contrast, though size is certainly a factor.  Artistic, evocative backdrop shading and design, and font color often render layout difficult to read.  It's like those bot-foiling security codes.

!i!

Definitely. This might be a case of new tech and capabilities working against us. Old RPGs were done in basic, legible fonts on a while high contrast background. Today most games are full color with lots of artwork, and can use highly stylized fonts designed to invoke a sense of the setting/genre being emulated. But generally at the expense of legibility.

And to be fair, BRP isn't bad as far as size and legibility goes, it's just our eyes aren't what they used to be. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

7 hours ago, Jason D said:

I'm currently making the edits to the file. The tables use a clearer and slightly larger font. We could not go with a much larger font, but it is noticeably more readable. 

I'm simultaneously creating an errata document for all changes that affect game mechanics. (I am not including things like typos or slight cleanup of language.) 

Thanks, that's useful. I'll wait for the errata document before I decide to buy first or second printing. 

4 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Old RPGs were done in basic, legible fonts on a while high contrast background. Today most games are full color with lots of artwork, and can use highly stylized fonts designed to invoke a sense of the setting/genre being emulated. But generally at the expense of legibility.

4 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

!i!

This is a bunch of it. Older books were also notably smaller and could bear a larger font. Small serif fonts are definitely an issue, and I wear glasses. Colored background ones are much worse.

i don’t think we have to worry about the hobby going the way of the rotary phone. There are a lot of new players with a different base form what we have. They just aren’t on the forums 🙂

4 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

!i!

The "Artisanal" character-sheet released for RQG was a thing of beauty -- I loved  it!  But looked upon it with deep suspicions as to legibility in-play.

My fears were borne out at the table, alas!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a status report:

• We're just sending the updated files to the printer. We can't predict exactly how long it will take to go through existing stock, or how much existing stock is sitting in stores unsold, so we can't say exactly when the updated edition will be available commercially.
  • We'll be making the revised/corrected .pdf available soon.
  • We're also going to be releasing an errata document in the immediate future as well. (it's prepared, but needs some formatting and cleanup)
  • There are some interesting/exciting announcements to come regarding BRP.
  • Like 5

On 2/14/2024 at 6:55 AM, Jason D said:

Just as a status report:

• ... We can't predict exactly how long it will take to go through existing stock ... we can't say exactly when the updated edition will be available commercially.

How will we be able to tell when that time has come?
How do we know we're getting the new printing?

(I understand you have no way to track retail / FLGS inventory; I'm specifically inquiring about Chaosium fulfillment warehouses)

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...

Should I hold off buying the current hard copy from Chaosium because the new print run is about to be made available? 

d100 low is my favourite system and I love Cthulhu, so a d100 multi-genre system is ideal. But, I have a bit of an irrational dislike of errata. I accept there will always be some in RPG books, but my ADHD goes haywire if it's over a certain amount. 

At least hold off until the errata document drops to determine if it will bother you.  Also, if you buy the PDF Chaosium will give you credit towards a later physical copy purchase.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saki said:

At least hold off until the errata document drops to determine if it will bother you.  Also, if you buy the PDF Chaosium will give you credit towards a later physical copy purchase.

Do you mean if I buy the pdf off Chaosium? That's a much better option. 

Thank you.