LEGEND

Trifletraxor

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - I cannot see it would be worth it.

That's a shame.

Still, best of luck with the new line. I for one have never forgiven myself for not grabbing all the the Chaosium RQ stuff years ago, so these days I tend to support most BRP/RQ lines where I can. Having MRQ2 Core Rules in hard cover, I'm not sure what a paperback LEGEND Core Rules can add to my library, but I'll certainly support the LEGEND product line with supplements like Age of Treason, Deus Vult, The Spider God's Bride, etc

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Guest Vile Traveller

Having MRQ2 Core Rules in hard cover, I'm not sure what a paperback LEGEND Core Rules can add to my library

Maybe not the library, but they could be pretty handy fro the gaming table.

The Legend RPG is certainly on my Christmas List! :)

But is there any point my putting The Spider Gods Bride adventures book on the list too (i.e. when's that due out) ?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Maybe not the library, but they could be pretty handy fro the gaming table.

Yes, I see the point in the digest format, aka Savage Worlds Explorer Edition or Mongoose's CONAN Pocket Edition - quite handy to have during an actual session, although I tend to make my own screens out of pdfs so not much value for me personally.

I would have much preferred a nice big hardcover tome that can stand the test of time and also look a thing of beauty in my collection. IMO perhaps a limited run of a large hardcover will be nice, with the smaller digest edition being marketed as a tabletop-friendly reference, much like Mongoose did with CONAN Core Rules Hardcover and the CONAN Pocket Edition.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

But is there any point my putting The Spider Gods Bride adventures book on the list too (i.e. when's that due out) ?

Can't wait for this one, I love sword n sorcery

The Legend RPG is certainly on my Christmas List! :)

We are just waiting for the final text to come in - we are then fast tracking it and, as our printers have a four day turnaround on these books, there is every chance it will see Christmas!

I see that Amazon.com has LEGEND listed as a paperback? If Matt is reading this, I am wondering if there are any plans to release it as a hard cover?

I personally prefer paperback rule books. I know some people prefer hardback for its durability, but I'm always careful with my books and the paperback versions are a lot easier to read.

The d10 Tavern - Role-playing and other games.

Free games: Odd Story | Smeg!

We are just waiting for the final text to come in - we are then fast tracking it and, as our printers have a four day turnaround on these books, there is every chance it will see Christmas!

Excellent news!

We are just waiting for the final text to come in - we are then fast tracking it and, as our printers have a four day turnaround on these books, there is every chance [The Spider Gods Bride adventures book] will see Christmas!

Good to hear it's coming soon - sounds great! Thinking about it though, the new year would do fine (hopefully I'll get some Christmas money...) I wouldn't want to feel responsible for it being a rush job, risking editing errors like those spoiling Chaosium's Trollslayer adventure.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

The Hyborian Age and the d100 system were made for each other.

Know what you mean - similarly, Lanhkmar. (Though Elric, with piles of bodies, always struck me as more suited to D&D...)

CONAN is easily ported over using Mongoose's CONAN RPG supplements 'Road of Kings' and 'Faith and Fervour' for resource material, and using the MRQ2: 'Lanhkmar' book for alot of sword n sorcey setting material, especially the Black Magic of Newhon which is very suited to Hyboria. Throw in some Lovecraftian beasties from CoC, and you've got CONAN down to a tee.

But it's not the same as actually holding 'CONAN: BRP Adventures in Hyboria' or 'LEGEND of CONAN' ...sigh...

Edited by Mankcam

The copyright status of the Conan stories is hotly contested at the moment. The situation is both interesting and amusing, but unfortunately the estate of REH doesn't stand to benefit either way.

In the US, the copyright period was calculated from the date of publication and the copyright needed to be periodically renewed until 1963. The stories published during the lifetime of Robert E. Howard are therefore theoretically in the public domain. Indeed, Project Gutenburg makes these works available for free online.

However, many of the Conan stories were republished in a modified form in the late 1960s and these altered versions are covered by copyright until at least 2030. Furthermore, a number of Howard's stories were published long after his death and the copyright status of these varies greatly. Many of them will not enter the public domain until 2072 - assuming no further changes to copyright law to extend the copyright period.

To complicate matters, the Swedish company Paradox Entertainment gained control of Conan Properties Inc from Stan Lee Media Inc in 2001. Paradox has taken out a trademark on the name Conan and the names of a number of other Robert E. Howard characters. They also assert that they own the copyright to all of the material that Robert E Howard wrote, although this claim is fairly dubious (due to the fact that a lot of it is in the public domain). They also claim ownership of all stories written by other authors under license from Conan Properties Inc since the 1960s and this claim is on more solid ground as the rights to these were held by Conan Properties.

Paradox have also exploited a loophole in European copyright law to gain control of a number of works of Robert E. Howard that would otherwise be in the public domain. Basically, if a work is in the public domain but hasn't been published in the European Union, the first person to publish it in the EU can claim publication rights for at least 25 years - with the possibility of further extension. In 2007, Paradox published a book containing Robert E Howard's prose and poetry not previously released in the EU - with a print run of only eleven copies! On the basis of this work, they claim exclusive ownership of these works. This means that a number of works of Robert E. Howard that had clearly entered the public domain may now be back under copyright due to a legal technicality!

Just when you thought that things couldn't get any more messy, in August Stan Lee Media Inc brought a lawsuit against Paradox claiming that the transfer of the ownership of Conan Properties Inc back in 2001 was fraudlent because it was unauthorized by its shareholders. According to SMLI, the Conan IP was unlawfully transfered when the company was in bankruptcy protection. Stan Lee Media Inc is also engaged in litigation with Marvel Entertainment over the ownership of Spiderman, the Incredible Hulk, the Avengers, et al which were transferred across to Marvel Entertainment around the same time.

The whole thing is an ungodly mess and nobody will benefit but the lawyers. No matter who wins the current dispute, the estate of Robert E. Howard won't see a single cent. And it makes me think that Mongoose might hesitate to renew the Conan license through Paradox until the legal situation becomes clearer.

Edited by Prime Evil

Don't the new EU copyrights only apply to the EU though, and not the US, considering that's the system they were created under? I mean, the things that were previously in the public domain in the US and which are now supposedly under copyright in the EU, aren't they still under public domain in the US?

I know Mongoose is a UK company so I imagine they have to go along with whatever the EU says, but I still find it interesting.

The d10 Tavern - Role-playing and other games.

Free games: Odd Story | Smeg!