33-36 +1d4

37-40 +1d5

41-44 +1d6

45-48 +1d7

49-52 +1d8

53-56 +1d9

57-60 +1d10

etc… etc…

I like the chart and could see myself using it in my campaigns. The only problem I would have with it, would be in Super Hero games as now you would need muck greater STR+SIZ to damage tanks and stuff.

Nice balanced spread though and good for 90% of the campaigns I run.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I like the chart and could see myself using it in my campaigns. The only problem I would have with it, would be in Super Hero games as now you would need muck greater STR+SIZ to damage tanks and stuff.

Nice balanced spread though and good for 90% of the campaigns I run.

Rod

Cool :)

Yeah, for a supers I would probably just stick with db as written in the BRP systems.

BRP Ze 32/420

I'm getting that one! :lol:

Cool! Wear it with pride. Or sympathy. Or something.

On a different note, I have an actual question about parrying. Specifically, in the attack vs. parry matrix, what does it mean when an effect is list with an "or" conjunction? I don't have the book here at the office, but the gist of it is something like "Attack fails, no damage OR shield takes 1 pt of damage."

Why the or?

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

On a different note, I have an actual question about parrying. Specifically, in the attack vs. parry matrix, what does it mean when an effect is list with an "or" conjunction? I don't have the book here at the office, but the gist of it is something like "Attack fails, no damage OR shield takes 1 pt of damage."

Why the or?

Hi, oh Venomous One. I noticed that nasty looking "or" too, and posted a question for Jason on the Clarifications thread (stickied at the top). Hopefully he'll be getting back to us on it - that entire top bit of the Attack & Parry Matrix is a bit murky at the moment!

My guess is you've got something like "Attack fails and no damage is done and the shield takes 1 pt of damage", or on another row, "Attack succeeds but is blocked, roll your damage to see if it gets through the parrying weapon or shield, which takes 2 pts of damage anyway". It all needs a bit of clarification.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Hi, oh Venomous One. I noticed that nasty looking "or" too, and posted a question for Jason on the Clarifications thread (stickied at the top). Hopefully he'll be getting back to us on it - that entire top bit of the Attack & Parry Matrix is a bit murky at the moment!

My guess is you've got something like "Attack fails and no damage is done and the shield takes 1 pt of damage", or on another row, "Attack succeeds but is blocked, roll your damage to see if it gets through the parrying weapon or shield, which takes 2 pts of damage anyway". It all needs a bit of clarification.

Cheers,

Sarah

Thanks for clueing me in on that, Sarah. I think I saw your original questions and then promptly forgot about them. The ol' memory ain't what it used to be :)

We'll wait and see what the mighty Jason has to say. But I suspect you're right, or very close to it, anway.

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

DAMAGE BONUS CHART

STR + SIZ Damage Bonus

01-04 -1d4

05-08 -1d3

09-12 -1d2

13-16 -1

17-20 +0

21-24 +1

25-28 +1d2

29-32 +1d3

33-36 +1d4

37-40 +1d5

41-44 +1d6

45-48 +1d7

49-52 +1d8

53-56 +1d9

57-60 +1d10

etc… etc…

If you had a +1d9 db, then you'd roll a d10 and reroll any '10' result until you got in the 1-9 range.

Looking at the chart now, I probably would revise it slightly so you would roll one die plus modifier or two dice plus modifier. Basically, it follows the RQ2 -point progression.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of the 1d7, 1d9, etc. I'd probably just go from 1d2, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, and then what? MRQ goes to 2d6 and starts over, which I don't like. RQ:AiG had an interesting take in that weapons all did a rolled die of damage, with no adds if I recall correctly. So, weapons did 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, etc. Damage bonus went up by 1's, but wasn't rolled, so it went +1, +2, +3, etc. I kind of like that idea.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of the 1d7, 1d9, etc. I'd probably just go from 1d2, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, and then what? MRQ goes to 2d6 and starts over, which I don't like. RQ:AiG had an interesting take in that weapons all did a rolled die of damage, with no adds if I recall correctly. So, weapons did 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, etc. Damage bonus went up by 1's, but wasn't rolled, so it went +1, +2, +3, etc. I kind of like that idea.

I'd go with using the SB5 demon chart. So:

25-30=+1d2

31-35=+1d4

36-40=+1d6

41-45=+1d8

46-50=+1d10

51-55=+1d10+1d2 (or 2d6)

56-60=+1d10+1d4

61-65=+1d10+1d6 (pr 2d8)

66-70=+1d10+1d8

71-75=+2d10

wash, rinse repeat.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

RQ:AiG had an interesting take in that weapons all did a rolled die of damage, with no adds if I recall correctly. So, weapons did 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, etc. Damage bonus went up by 1's, but wasn't rolled, so it went +1, +2, +3, etc. I kind of like that idea.

Hmm, that seems sort of familiar from some other system... despite that, I like it too. But would there be a problem far up the STR/SIZ scale, with +50 bonuses (or whatever)?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Hmm, that seems sort of familiar from some other system... despite that, I like it too. But would there be a problem far up the STR/SIZ scale, with +50 bonuses (or whatever)?

It would be way up the scale. A combined Strength and Size of 71-75 yields a DB of +10.

The formula is ((STR + SIZ) / 5), round up, then subtract 5.

SDLeary

PS... what other system were you thinking of? <dense right now>

It would be way up the scale. A combined Strength and Size of 71-75 yields a DB of +10.

The formula is ((STR + SIZ) / 5), round up, then subtract 5.

SDLeary

I like that formula :)

BRP Ze 32/420

With the current system once you get to 5 or 6 d6's, the variance is so low as to make anything far away from the average extremely rare, so this really isn't much different in practice. A +49 bonus is the average from rolling 14d6. Just what STR/SIZ combo does that need! :shocked:

With the current system once you get to 5 or 6 d6's, the variance is so low as to make anything far away from the average extremely rare, so this really isn't much different in practice. A +49 bonus is the average from rolling 14d6. Just what STR/SIZ combo does that need! :shocked:

12x16+56=248 or so.

I like that formula :)

Steve Perrin used that in SPQR. Originally he changed the damage bonus to a flat number too. Then, after prompting by as yet unrevealed source (:D), he offered the option of switch the +1 to a +1D2, the +2 to a +1D4 and so on like I had posted on the previous page.

I think it was called "D and <something>". Can't quite remember the other letter... ;)

And yes - nice formula (good pedigree). Something about the "Dice + Adds" method appeals, too: clean and neat (my T&T background showing?). I just wondered if having big flat bonuses like "+50" (or even +20, or whatever...) would offend too many people around here. It seems not...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I think it was called "D and <something>". Can't quite remember the other letter... ;)

And yes - nice formula (good pedigree). Something about the "Dice + Adds" method appeals, too: clean and neat (my T&T background showing?). I just wondered if having big flat bonuses like "+50" (or even +20, or whatever...) would offend too many people around here. It seems not...

They don't "offend" me, but I'd never use a flat db, and that's why I like the Elric! die step table, as it keeps the db as a single dice (and thus a linear addition to base damage) for as long as possible and also mitigates the "centre loading effect" of simply adding additional dice of the same size.

In my pedantic moments I favour taking the RQIV:AiG approach and adjusting ALL weapons to a single (or if absolutely necessary two) Dice, and db to something like the the Elric die step table (but including d12's ;) ) so for the majority of vaguely human scale entities damage is a single die from a weapon and another single die from their db, thus preserving the variability of damage#.

Then I come to my senses and remember that it's all a bit fiddly and that since I've been happily using the standard BRP damage table for a quarter of a century I'm obviously really not that bothered...

:D

Nick Middleton

#which to me is an important element that represents the quirks and fickle moments of fate in combat where a beatifully timed blow you don't see just happens to coincide with a stumble that swings you back such that it only catches you a glancing blow on the thigh, rather than a solid blow to the gut...

We never did that. But then we usually had much better parry scores.

Most characters did; as noted, it was hard to have a good Dodge score. But that didn't mean we thought the few people who depended on them should be idiots, and the old rule pretty much made them such, since they were almost certainly doomed the first time a crit came in.

Yes, in RQ3 none of my characters used the Dodge skill; the penalties were too steep, success was a toss up, and starting percentage too low for my tastes. They all developed a parry skill of some sort; usually the Shield skill.

The usual cases we saw were sorcerers (who already had to keep their encumberance really low anyway) and a few light-fighter florentine fighting types who needed _something_ to do about ranged attackers.

Steve Perrin used that in SPQR. Originally he changed the damage bonus to a flat number too. Then, after prompting by as yet unrevealed source (:D), he offered the option of switch the +1 to a +1D2, the +2 to a +1D4 and so on like I had posted on the previous page.

At least one of the RQ4 drafts was simillar; my only complaing was they used some adders in some cases that made wierd bumps in the progression, but as long as you didn't mind a damage bonus being different size dice (1D6+1D8 for example) it was fairly easy to iron that out.