Lanbril and Consecrate Rune spell

Zalain

Hello all,

In pg 115 of Lightbringers book, Rune Magic: the cult provides all common rune magic except "consecrate": does it implies the thief has to return to his haunt (assuming its a shrine/temple) to recover his Rune Points?

And: the only rune spells avaiable for thieves are Divination Block and Dismiss (elemental)? WHat sense does it have dissmiss a elemental and not be able to summon it? (what sense does it have a thief can be summon/dismiss elemental?)

Maybe those questions seems a bit silly, but im creating a Lanbril thief, and maybe its not a good choice if the campaing is in other cites different of his own.

thank you in advance!!!

3 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Simplest explanation: the Lanbril cult steals already-sanctified holy places that belonged to other gods.

But to recover Lanbrils Rune Points, doesnt the thief need a consecrate place to Lanbril himself?

(well, could be a great idea that a Lanbril thief could use shrines from other gods and the bonus he takes to "Worship Lanbril" comes from the things the thief steals of objects/animals sacrified to their gods)

18 hours ago, Zalain said:

Hello all,

In pg 115 of Lightbringers book, Rune Magic: the cult provides all common rune magic except "consecrate": does it implies the thief has to return to his haunt (assuming its a shrine/temple) to recover his Rune Points?

They don't have Sanctify (RBM 76) - which creates an area that can be used temporarily as a temple. Initiates will need to return to their Ring leader's refuge -  as The temple is both a worship site and a refuge (LB 115). Lanbril is a criminal ring, not a cult for solo thieves. 

And: the only rune spells available for thieves are Divination Block and Dismiss (elemental)?

And Dismiss Magic, Divination, Extension, Find Enemy, Heal Wound, Multispell, Spirit Block, and Warding. Plus Dismiss Elemental (specific type, small or medium) and Divination Block. (per LB 115).

WHat sense does it have dissmiss a elemental and not be able to summon it? (what sense does it have a thief can be summon/dismiss elemental?)

Dismiss elemental is very handy when you realise that the Pavis cult in Pavis (the centre of a large Lanbril cult) can summon elementals. Elementals are very useful for guarding things. Put an elemental into a binding enchantment on a chest, add the condition of if not opened by the caster - release the elemental. 

Maybe those questions seems a bit silly, but im creating a Lanbril thief, and maybe its not a good choice if the campaing is in other cites different of his own.

They will need to ingratiate themselves with the local ringleader. I'd use the lay member interview (LB 112) and CHA x 5 plus their reputation. Don't make it harder for the player than it need be.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

17 hours ago, Zalain said:

But to recover Lanbrils Rune Points, doesnt the thief need a consecrate place to Lanbril himself?

Any associated cult would work. Unfortunately, Lanbril has none.

I think in some of the Lunar provinces Orlanth is mostly a cult of thieves and bandits, who occasionally claim to be rebels. So the idea of stealing access to a worship site is more suited to that version of Orlanth, given his many associates.

I love the idea that Lanbril initiates and rune levels can use any temple, because they steal RP from other gods.  It makes up for the fact that they have so much trouble getting the necessary numbers for a shrine or temple.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 5:38 PM, Zalain said:

And: the only rune spells avaiable for thieves are Divination Block and Dismiss (elemental)? WHat sense does it have dissmiss a elemental and not be able to summon it? (what sense does it have a thief can be summon/dismiss elemental?)

Elementals are often used as temple guardians.

• Like 2

While the Lanbril thief in the campaign I was running was undercover in Sandheart (tracking down someone to 'deliver a message'), I had the Boss take him under his wing and suggest he invest in a little votive statue. It was proving impractical otherwise. Of course that meant he owed the Boss a bit more and was a bit more under his thumb, but hey, them's the breaks.

I have also been running the Lanbrils doing occasional Heroquest Heists where they manage to sneak into temples in the middle of a ceremony and effectively steal some Rune Points, which was an idea I obviously stole from here! Probably a bit off piste, but quite good fun!