Choosing a Magic System

Paul_Va

I'm preparing an historical Japanese horror campaign set in the Heian Period, and I'm trying to decide which Power system to use for the Shinto priests. I've already decided to use the Psychic Abilities system for the Buddhist priests/monks, but I envision the Shinto priests a little differently. While Buddhism entails a great deal of mental discipline and meditation, which seems to lend itself naturally to Psychic powers, Shinto is more about the channeling or invoking of Kami (nature spirits/gods). Moreover, I want to run a very low-magic setting. I want my Shinto priests to be able to perform rituals such as exorcisms, and I want them to be able to invoke their guardian Kami in desperate situations as a last ditch effort, but that's about it. At first, I had considered the sorcerer power, but sorcerers don't have anything akin to exorcism. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can follow me on Google+ here: https://www.google.com/+PaulVasquezE

I would first decide if you want the Shinto priests to always succeed when they perform magic or if you want them to have a chance of failure, and then go from there.

Magic - Certain percentage of success/failure.

Sorcery - Always works unless it cannot overcome resistance.

As far as exorcism, I would use sorcery as the base power type and use the Summon Demon spell for exorcism. Once a demon is bound, you can then either dismiss the demon or destroy it.

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

I'm preparing an historical Japanese horror campaign set in the Heian Period, and I'm trying to decide which Power system to use for the Shinto priests. I've already decided to use the Psychic Abilities system for the Buddhist priests/monks, but I envision the Shinto priests a little differently. While Buddhism entails a great deal of mental discipline and meditation, which seems to lend itself naturally to Psychic powers, Shinto is more about the channeling or invoking of Kami (nature spirits/gods). Moreover, I want to run a very low-magic setting. I want my Shinto priests to be able to perform rituals such as exorcisms, and I want them to be able to invoke their guardian Kami in desperate situations as a last ditch effort, but that's about it. At first, I had considered the sorcerer power, but sorcerers don't have anything akin to exorcism. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You might look at The Magic Book. Some elements of Divine Magic and Spirit Magic might be adapted to work for your setting.

Sorcery is the best solution for Shinto, as it was developed for the demon-binding magicians of the Young Kingdoms. You should just create a Bind (Kami) spell that the priest uses to exorcise or persuade an unwanted spirit, to complement the Summon (Kami) used to invoke benignant deities.

I have not read Loz's Land of the Samurai, but the old AH "Land of Ninja" has a decent representation of Shinto with the RQ3 rules and "Spirit Communication" used to learn magic from Kami. You will still need to own the Magic Book as these magic systems are not included in the gold book. In LoN, all priests are considered acolytes so the problem of spending POW for one-shot divine magic is bypassed. Moreover, the old divine magic system requires prayer at an appropriate temple to regain use of a cast-out spell, forcing the priest to go on pilgrimages very frequently. This is quite appropriate for Shintoism.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Sorcery is the best solution for Shinto, as it was developed for the demon-binding magicians of the Young Kingdoms. You should just create a Bind (Kami) spell that the priest uses to exorcise or persuade an unwanted spirit, to complement the Summon (Kami) used to invoke benignant deities.

I have not read Loz's Land of the Samurai, but the old AH "Land of Ninja" has a decent representation of Shinto with the RQ3 rules and "Spirit Communication" used to learn magic from Kami. You will still need to own the Magic Book as these magic systems are not included in the gold book. In LoN, all priests are considered acolytes so the problem of spending POW for one-shot divine magic is bypassed. Moreover, the old divine magic system requires prayer at an appropriate temple to regain use of a cast-out spell, forcing the priest to go on pilgrimages very frequently. This is quite appropriate for Shintoism.

This really answers my question. Thank you Rosen! It looks like I need to get the magic book. :)

I think he meant Sorcery in the BGB. Sorcery in the Magic Book is a different beast, its the old RQIII Sorcery system.

It would work but would need to be modified somewhat into a more general system. Right now that system works best to model the "Old Wizard in the Tower" stereotype.

SDLeary

I agree with Rosen, I would go with Sorcery from the BGB for any lengthy rite-based practice. Possibly call each spell a Rite if you dont want it to some too much like a D&D magic user, such as Rite (Summon Kami), Rite (Summon Hungry Ghost) etc but the BGB Sorcery should suit. You could do the same for Buddhism, just choose different spells/rites. I would still perhaps allow BGB Magic and call it 'Folk Magic' and tie the effects to various trappings you might read, but this would be more the magic of the village wise woman etc, perhaps mixed with things like Herbalism etc.

The RQ3 Land of Ninja book did have rules for Ki Skills (or Ch'i Skills, whichever you prefer). These were good for covering some of the Mind-Over-Matter abilities of Buddhists, and could lend itself to Wushu type abilities at higher skill levels. I believe that Ki Skills (or a similar concept) may be being reprinted/reviewed for one of the upcoming Magic World supplements (unsure where I read that though). You could always simulate Wushu abilities using BGB SuperPowers, just make them lower level than you would if playing comic-book style superheroes.

Typically there would need to be several ingredients for a Shinto/Buddhist Rite to work, such as components, the time of day, the mind set of the invoker, etc. If you research these then it will add flavour to the magic. BGB Sorcery automatically works, but only if the stipulated trappings are all present, so sometimes it may be hard to do so, and if this occurs then the Rite will simply fail; this takes the place of the casting roll. Even if the Rite itself succeeds there will be other factors at play which will require a % roll to see if you achieve the aim of what you want to achieve with the Rite, so BGB Sorcery does have game balance in that respect.

But certainly no need to buy the RQ3 magic book for Shintoism, I would just stick with the BGB Sorcery rules for this, it is much more what you would be looking for here.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Also, Nephilim did an excellent job of incorporating summoning spells that revolved around the effects of the spirit/entity summoned. Another potential source of inspiration is the Virtues system in the Gods of Law monograph which is also conveniently available for free on line.

With my first reading of your post, it seemed to me that you were looking for a magical combat system which I seem now is not the case. A shame, because I don't get to recommend Dragon Lines nearly as much as I would like.

70/420

I just bought Call of Cthulhu, so I might be getting ready to answer my own question, but I'll ask anyway. Do any of the BRP magic systems allow for extended POW contests between a ghost/spirit and a magic user or group of magic users? I really want to find a mechanic that would allow me to have exorcism rituals that are a battle of POW between a ritual Shinto/Buddhist priest or group of priests and a ghost/demon. Do any of the systems in the Magic book have a mechanic for anything like that?

Do any of the BRP magic systems allow for extended POW contests between a ghost/spirit and a magic user or group of magic users? I really want to find a mechanic that would allow me to have exorcism rituals that are a battle of POW between a ritual Shinto/Buddhist priest or group of priests and a ghost/demon. Do any of the systems in the Magic book have a mechanic for anything like that?

Yes indeed. The RuneQuest 3 spirit combat has been reproduced in the Magic Book. It seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Also, there is the summoning ritual magic, which may also be of use.

RuneQuest 6th Edition also have rules for spirit combat with Possession and Exorcism as a subheading. It might be even better than the Magic Book version, depending on your preferences.

Edited by smjn

Yes indeed. The RuneQuest 3 spirit combat has been reproduced in the Magic Book. It seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Also, there is the summoning ritual magic, which may also be of use.

RuneQuest 6th Edition also have rules for spirit combat with Possession and Exorcism as a subheading. It might be even better than the Magic Book version, depending on your preferences.

OK, I guess it's settled then. I need The Magic Book and maybe the Runequest 6 book. Thank you, again. :)