Converting Cthulhu Tech?

Conrad

Would it be a fool's errand to convert the Cthulhu Tech game to BRP? I'm at ease with the BRP system and I have Call of Cthulhu rpg. I'd like to run a BRP game where big mythos monsters fight with funky mechs. If the new DBRP book has some form of stats for giant robots/ mechs would it be easy to use these as the basis for converting CT type mecha to BRP rules?

The Secrets of Japan book for CoC has stats for biosuit mechs that look similar to the Tagers from CT, so that particular type of mech will be easily converted to the BRP rules. But bigger mecha?

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

No, it would be very useful.

I'm not into Cthulhu Mythos or any of that rubbish, but the Cthulhu Tech stuff does seem interesting and seems ripe for a BRP conversion.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

OK give me a few months and a couple of hundred sanity rolls!;)

Oh, and factor in some time for the DBRP rulesbook to reach the shores of Albion.

I assume the sanity rolls are for dealing with the number of times you will have to send the book back to Mongoose because it falls apart! :D

SDLeary

I assume the sanity rolls are for dealing with the number of times you will have to send the book back to Mongoose because it falls apart! :D

SDLeary

Heh! My copy seems robust. I tested it on a fellow roleplayer by bashing him with it repeatedly about the head until he was unconscious. The book was a little bloodstained but it stood up to the testing and no pages have fallen out yet!:shocked:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Heh! My copy seems robust. I tested it on a fellow roleplayer by bashing him with it repeatedly about the head until he was unconscious. The book was a little bloodstained but it stood up to the testing and no pages have fallen out yet!:shocked:

You are lucky! Some reports I've heard have people on their third copy! :eek:

SDLeary

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad

Heh! My copy seems robust. I tested it on a fellow roleplayer by bashing him with it repeatedly about the head until he was unconscious. The book was a little bloodstained but it stood up to the testing and no pages have fallen out yet!

You are lucky! Some reports I've heard have people on their third copy!

SDLeary

I guess some roleplayers just take a lot more damage to subdue. But I have to say that using three copies just to subdue one unruly player is a bit much.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

You are lucky! Some reports I've heard have people on their third copy! :eek:

SDLeary

I heard that there were some dodgey copies around with faulty binding. So I checked my copy in the shop before I bought it. I'm friends with the shop owner, so an unconscious battered roleplayer on the floor wasn't much of a problem. :eek::shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

If you keep a firm grip on the book with both hands and whip across hard to the temple, you can knock someone out.

I think that I'll try reading it first before I go on the battlefield with it. The game has advantages and disadvantages like Champions or Superworld. Which makes me think that using some supers rules may be the key to effectively converting it to BRP. Superworld might be the rules to use.

By the way Fun Guy what brings you so far from your regular haunt on Yog Sothoth.com?

• 2 weeks later...

So, yeah...CT into BRP...I'd like that ALOT. My own forays into big Mecha and BRP usually scare people when they roll out with hundreds of HP and weapons that do thousands of points of damage...

A more...sane...approach would be nice to see. Apparently borrowing from Palladium, adding physics and cooking with BRP gives me 120mm cannons that do 300 damage with HE warheads, and that just doesn't *seem* right, ya know??

So, when it comes out, I'd be more than happy to see it.

-STS

So, yeah...CT into BRP...I'd like that ALOT. My own forays into big Mecha and BRP usually scare people when they roll out with hundreds of HP and weapons that do thousands of points of damage...

A more...sane...approach would be nice to see. Apparently borrowing from Palladium, adding physics and cooking with BRP gives me 120mm cannons that do 300 damage with HE warheads, and that just doesn't *seem* right, ya know??

So, when it comes out, I'd be more than happy to see it.

-STS

Using some form of megadamage rules might be the way to go with BRP. For example each point of damage a mecha does is multiplied by ten if it hits a person.

I use four different "damage classes"

Little Damage = LD = 1/10 hp. I use it for small games like bunnies and burrows and other really small characters :)

Damage Capacity = DC = 1 hp. Used as normal.

Vehicular Damage Capacity = VDC = 10 hp. Used for Vehicles

Mega Damage Capacity = MDC = 100 hp. Used for big vehicles and heavily armored vehicles

Ultra Damage Capacity = UDC = 1,000 MDC!!. I use it for big spaceships (Star Trek, Star Wars, ROBOTECH, etc.).

A weapons class can only affect one class above...

Thus LD can harm DC, DC can harm VDC, but not MDC, VDC can damage MDC, but not UDC and MDC can harm UDC...but I rarely bother even annotating it.

-STS

I use four different "damage classes"

A weapons class can only affect one class above...

Thus LD can harm DC, DC can harm VDC, but not MDC, VDC can damage MDC, but not UDC and MDC can harm UDC...but I rarely bother even annotating it.

-STS

Thanks for posting these damage classes. It has got me thinking, which is no mean feat!:shocked:

It may be noted that the CoC writeups for Mythos deities are wrtten with human-level opponents in mind; you may have to tweak them to make sense when fighting similarly-powered entities.

Eg., the damage from Hastur's tentacles is listed simply as "death". Reasonable when fighting a human investigator, not so much when fighting other GOOs or giant mecha.

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

It may be noted that the CoC writeups for Mythos deities are wrtten with human-level opponents in mind; you may have to tweak them to make sense when fighting similarly-powered entities.

Eg., the damage from Hastur's tentacles is listed simply as "death". Reasonable when fighting a human investigator, not so much when fighting other GOOs or giant mecha.

That was always one reason that I liked Palladium products...they aren't scared to give damage ratings like 2d6 x 1 million MDC which is equivalent to hundreds of millions of hit points...

Most other game companies would just laugh and say "Death", but not K. Simbieda...he says "millions of points of damage, hell yeah!"

I would say that GOO's would do thousands to millions of points of damage...and people thought there was no good reason for RIFTS :) It was made for battlin' 'Thulies!! (what we call Mythos critters in my house).

-STS

So the +13D6 damage bonus mentioned for Hastur doesn't factor into things?:rolleyes: