Bachelor Thesis for a new BRP software tool

Raven

Hey everyone,

some of you may already have read it at the "BRP Computer Tools (multi-platform for preference...)" topic.

But to make it more clearly arranged for me, I'll start a new topic.

I'm studying game development and I'm doing a research study at the moment (as a preliminary work for my bachelor thesis), where I'm trying to figure out what functionalities a role playing game software tool should have to perfectly assist a game master (and maybe also the players) in order to manage the campaign.

Therefore I'm going to make a survey on the matter where I would need people/players to help me (probably in one or two weeks).
If anyone of you would be interested in filling in the survey, then please like this post, so I can see how many there would be and if that would be enough.

If some of you are interested and have already played for a long time, then maybe even write a comment, so that, if I don't get enough people for the poll, I could make some interviews with the experts ;)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 5

As far as functionality, I believe your project should have a goal of being flexible. That is, users can customize enough aspects of software to be useable in multiple incarnations of BRP.

Growing up I used Core Rules software for AD&D exclusively because it was very customization friendly. I paid around $100 for the software and expansions. And this was 20 years ago!

Software on par with Core Rules... for BRP? I'll throw $$ at THAT!

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I'm planing of making a list of functionalities which you could rate, including managing tools (as character (pc and npc), item and skill lists, etc), game mechanic tools (like auto generating characters, calculations of the DEX ranks in battles or damage, etc) and some other aspects as (multi-)platform, customization and extension possibilities, etc. I probably won't cover any complex mapping tools, though.

The Bachelor Thesis will just cover the design and probably some form of a simple prototype.

I want to implement it some day, based on the rules (and optional rules) of the edition I have (2nd), but so that it can be mostly adjusted, but for the Thesis that would take far too much time.

Well, AFTER the thesis, get ahold of Chaosium and offer to make the real deal. Chaosium could then sell books to import as updates and give you a piece for coding them! :)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Yeah.. they're either not very good at responding, or they have their spam filters operated by HAL9000.

They seem to be active on G+, specially with Call of Cthulhu.

You could try hounding them there and see if you can expedite things.

It's good to have an official stamp on your creation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm analysing pretty much all of the possible requirements I can conclude somehow and will make a long list out of it (and probably a diagram, when I finished).

I would need you to rate their relevance, so I can make kind of a ranking list, exclude some that are not necessary in your opinion or add some, if I forgot anything that seems important to you.

I'm trying to finish the list and questionnaire until Monday, and I would need the answers 'til Thursday. It might even be that I have to interview you (the experts), for there are too few people willing to make the poll.

So, you'll hear from me, soon.

Hey everyone :)

I'm actually not yet done with the requirements list and the questionnaire '>.>

Sorry for the delay! But I will finish it within the next days, hopefully by tomorrow evening.

For those of you who'd be willing to make an interview via skype (preferably written, for I need a written version of it anyway),

please write me a PM with the days and time you are available. As said, days from tomorrow 'til saturday would be fine.

Oh, and don't forget to write down the time zone you're in!

You can also write your skype name, so I can add you, or I'll send you mine.

I have one more question:

Does anyone of you use Realm Works?

I watched the tutorials and Gen Con Videos, and it seems quite close to what I'm imagining.

As far as I can tell, what they "lack" is a combat system integrated, but the mechanics/rules can be stored for reference.

So I'm thinking that it might be more useful to see if I can cooperate with them and develop the design for am easy to use combat system.

The advantage would be that there is a team behind it, working full time, which means, you (and I) could use the tool way sooner than when I'd try to programm it in my spare time.

And they are currently working on a web integrated version of their tool, which means, that it will be available for mac and linux users, too.

Sorry to say it but good luck getting Lone Wolf Developement to work on ANYTHING that isn't Pathfinder related. I've been bugging them for HeroLab updates for BRP for years. Gave up.

Would make since to use Realm Works in this way, and actually, if you can speak the language, you could model your project around incorporating a BRP Data set into HeroLab, which may be easier. Again, if you can work with their authoring kits language...

They already have a decent start with CoC data set.

They already have permission from Chaosium for BRP projects BTW, so purchasing the authoring kit is all you'd need. (I think)

Sorry to say it but good luck getting Lone Wolf Developement to work on ANYTHING that isn't Pathfinder related. I've been bugging them for HeroLab updates for BRP for years. Gave up.

Would make since to use Realm Works in this way, and actually, if you can speak the language, you could model your project around incorporating a BRP Data set into HeroLab, which may be easier. Again, if you can work with their authoring kits language...

They already have a decent start with CoC data set.

They already have permission from Chaosium for BRP projects BTW, so purchasing the authoring kit is all you'd need. (I think)

Hey :)

Well, that wouldn't really be a problem, for I would do it myself.

But seems there is another problem :P

They've written that they don't have an API for Realm Works so far (even though they're planing to make one), which means I can't work on it.

There are some BRP settings in Hero Lab, under Call of Cthulhu...

But as far as I've seen (watched a seminar on the Hero Lab Editor) it isn't very complicated to code. The language is quite simple, and there are a lot of samples to use. It's actually more a matter of time.

Simple if you're in school learning it. :)

I've done some scripting for another game but couldn't wrap my head around HeroLAbs Authoring Kits code. Even with examples. :)

I bought the CoC Data Set a couple years ago because LoneWolf said they were going to implement BRP but they've really Only added a couple basic features. I haven't checked in awhile so maybe they have updated and not put it in their news letter.

If YOU would do a Magic World data set, I'd throw money at you! But like you said, it's very time consuming.

Simple if you're in school learning it. :)

Yeah, we kinda were forced to learn heaps of different languages within a few weeks each, so I probably am used to adapt very fast to new languages.

I guess I can do that... but after I finished my bachelor thesis.

• Like 1

Hey everyone :D

Finally finished the survey/poll!

Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qWgE9Pn6YPCRkjimM0s6RWzIvuKoS6ObdssT16NJQS8/viewform?usp=send_form

Please take the time to fill it out!

I need the answers 'til Sunday evening, so it's only about one day time.

It is important for me to get as many answers as possible, so I'd be glad if you could send the link to your BRP friends, too.

Thanks for helping!

Greetings,

Raven

Hey :)

Thanks to anyone who participated so far!

I forgot to add a "Comments" box at the end, yesterday... (It's included now)
For those who already filled it out: If there is anything you'd like to add or functionalities you think were missing, PM me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Sorry for not writing earlier.

So I finished the research study with 13 participants in the poll. Thanks again to everyone who helped!

The result was not that clear, but this is what I'll try to design (and partially prototype) for my bachelor thesis, which starts in about a month:

- Character creation and growth management (or shortly, an advanced character sheet), with different optional rules, such as Hit Location System and Sanity

- List editing: Adding and Removing Characters, Skills, Powers & Equipment

- A very basic combat system with initiative calculation (DEX & DEX+1D10), PP and HP management, and the auto-calculation of the damage severity (kinds of wounds)

- Digital Dice Roller and Rolls assisting tool

I will create a more detailed overview of the functionalities early in the thesis and then share it with you.

So, stay tuned! :D

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone :)

So, I've made an overview of the functions I want to implement in a first full version. For the prototype/thesis some of the functions might be cut off, for I only have 2 weeks time.
But that should be the basic tool. After that, I will probably implement more of the optional rules etc. one after the other.

The File is quite big, so don't be shocked ^^'
That's why I had to put it on dropbox. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2kj0mhkfnpulpg/Activity-Diagram.png?dl=0

It shows all the functions that a user can use. Starting point is the black cirle on the left.
There might come some small changes on the accessibility, but the overall functions should stay the same.

I (unfortunately) have to do another survey on some criteria soon.
But it is much shorter than the last one and should only take 5 - 10 min to complete.

At the end of it, you can enter your email address, then I'll send you a link to download the prototype (result of the thesis) and later on the full version, when it's done.

Edited by Raven
  • Like 2