The Praxian Tradition

David Scott

I'm with Tindalos - the two neighbouring demonic Imps seem unlikely to be a coincidence. They may be the same being who foments trouble between the two nomad cultures even? Or just the same being known to both. Probably not Agimori.

Not that there might not be Agimori Trickster aspects known in Prax. There are multiple Trickster aspects known in Southern Pamaltela where the Agimori originate, and Hare being the best known Trickster among the Fiwan people including the ancestors of the Praxian Basmoli. 

Also, its interesting that Raven is explicitly noted as being Trickster as Firebringer - but in Pent, not Prax. I would speculate that the three feathered rivals are also known to the Pentans, or is it just Raven? 

• Like 1

On 27/2/2017 at 1:56 PM, David Scott said:

Sure, I don't see why not. Naturally she would have a small cult. Maybe a daughter of Ernalda and Eurmal. Go wild, it's your game.

Who killed Orani? The Devil? Ragnaglar? another god with Death powers?  and was it an "entropic death"?

2 hours ago, kalidor said:

Who killed Orani? The Devil? Ragnaglar? another god with Death powers?  and was it an "entropic death"?

There's two entries in the Guide in the Gazetteer section of the Wastes - Orani's Tongue & Mistake. It was the Devil and what do you mean by "Entropic Death"

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

11 hours ago, David Scott said:

There's two entries in the Guide in the Gazetteer section of the Wastes - Orani's Tongue & Mistake. It was the Devil and what do you mean by "Entropic Death"

I mean, no soul, body or powers left behind. Death by chaos. I was wondering about what is left of Yamsur, Seolinthor, orani and hothmir (after being beheaded by tien). If there is something to  save.

Edited by kalidor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kalidor said:

I mean, no soul, body or powers left behind. Death by chaos.

I've been thinking about how this works for a long time. Being killed / consumed by chaos can be broken down into a number of residual levels:

We don't know you ever existed

We know you existed by inference e.g. Genert's sons, he had sons, they died, we don't know their names.

You left a name behind

You left a part behind, but not enough to be you. e.g Orani's Tongue.

I was wondering about what is left of Yamsur, Seolinthor,

Seolinthur's headless "remains" lie in the Krjalki Bog. They are a series of heavily polluted channels that are referred to as Seolinthur's Grave by members of the Thirstless spirit society. Seolinthur himself likely became gorp and other chaos that lives there. Nothing remains of him other than the "grave".

Seolinthur's Grave.png

Yamsur has left nothing behind except his name.

There is nothing to save from them unless you want to make a plot hook for your game.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

In my game the Crown of Yamsur still exists, and is symbolic of authority over solar and fire powers in the Wastes. This may well have been not an actual relic of Yamsur but an artifact created later (probably in the First Age, such as by First Council Yelm worshippers keen to have a symbol of their authority to the Praxians). Anyway, it was a cool maguffin for my Lunar players to enquire, so that the Lunar magicians could use it to demonstrate authority over Oakfed and turn him against the Praxxian shamans at the battle of Moonbroth. 

The most important enduring legacy of Yamsur, though, is that he was an ancestor of Hyalor Horsebreaker, and so ultimately part of the link between horses and the Sun. Quite how the modern Pure Horse people interpret this is I don't know. But I'm sure someone in modern GLorantha believes it. 

One version of Nomad Gods includes the Firestick of Yamsur as a treasure, But I'm not sure if this is canon. j

On 2/27/2017 at 6:35 PM, Iskallor said:

I remember coming across a list of Trickster spirits/gods from around Glorantha, somewhere on the web or in a magazine a few years back. I can't remember the names but there was a Praxian one. Will have to go search.

In my game he's called Wimoweh and often appears as a cat, though once he appeared as a piece of talking dried dung in the Elder Wilds.

600x600.fitdown.jpg

Presumably he grants a couple of spells Everyone Goes to Sleep and Everyone Wakes Up. 

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

7 hours ago, davecake said:

In my game the Crown of Yamsur still exists, and is symbolic of authority over solar and fire powers in the Wastes. This may well have been not an actual relic of Yamsur but an artifact created later (probably in the First Age, such as by First Council Yelm worshippers keen to have a symbol of their authority to the Praxians). Anyway, it was a cool maguffin for my Lunar players to enquire, so that the Lunar magicians could use it to demonstrate authority over Oakfed and turn him against the Praxxian shamans at the battle of Moonbroth. 

The most important enduring legacy of Yamsur, though, is that he was an ancestor of Hyalor Horsebreaker, and so ultimately part of the link between horses and the Sun. Quite how the modern Pure Horse people interpret this is I don't know. But I'm sure someone in modern GLorantha believes it. 

One version of Nomad Gods includes the Firestick of Yamsur as a treasure, But I'm not sure if this is canon. j

We had Yamsur's Crown as well. Our PCs found Yamsur's Chariot in the Old Sun Dome Temple and this allowed them to found a Charioteers Society which was a vehicle for bringing back Yamsur.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/5/2016 at 9:30 PM, David Scott said:

Chris Klug over on G+ asked for a list of Praxian gods with their runes. This prompted me to update my work-in-progress structure of the Praxian Tradition that I'm using for the Prax book. Some of the societies are mentioned in HeroQuest Glorantha, and this PNG puts them into the structure I'm using.

Praxian Tradition structure v2.png

Hi david, is there a god/goddess of the wells in the wastelands/prax? or are the water spirit in every oasis on their own?

16 minutes ago, kalidor said:

Hi david, is there a god/goddess of the wells in the wastelands/prax? or are the water spirit in every oasis on their own?

There's no overall Water God/Goddess in the Wastes, that's the problem that the death of Seolinthur caused. Waha met all the Water spirits and gave them an honoured place in Praxian society - the Thirstless spirit society. Within this are all the individual water spirits, including the individual spirits of the oases. The "chief" spirit of the society is Zola Fel. The gazetteer of the Wastelands in the Guide gives info on some of the Oases spirits. 

• Like 3

-----

10 minutes ago, David Scott said:

There's no overall Water God/Goddess in the Wastes, that's the problem that the death of Seolinthur caused. Waha met all the Water spirits and gave them an honoured place in Praxian society - the Thirstless spirit society. Within this are all the individual water spirits, including the individual spirits of the oases. The "chief" spirit of the society is Zola Fel. The gazetteer of the Wastelands in the Guide gives info on some of the Oases spirits. 

Thanks David. I was planning to heroquest  a myth called "How Ronance married his wife" so one of my players can marry  the spirit/goddess of an oasis and put  the oasis and its people under his protection. He is a rune lord of Ronance (Wandering Lord) and the oasis would be his base of operations.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2017 at 6:23 AM, davecake said:

I'm with Tindalos - the two neighbouring demonic Imps seem unlikely to be a coincidence. They may be the same being who foments trouble between the two nomad cultures even? Or just the same being known to both. Probably not Agimori.

Also, its interesting that Raven is explicitly noted as being Trickster as Firebringer - but in Pent, not Prax. I would speculate that the three feathered rivals are also known to the Pentans, or is it just Raven? 

I don't think it's a coincidence either. The obvious reason is that the Praxians (and of course Pentans) were part of Sheng's Empire. There had to be some cross-pollination and Gloranthan Gods and spirits rarely exist in isolation between cultures. 

• Like 3

-----

I was planning to heroquest  a myth called "How Ronance married his wife" so one of my players can marry  the spirit/goddess of an oasis and put  the oasis and its people under his protection. He is a rune lord of Ronance (Wandering Lord) and the oasis would be his base of operations.

If you have the Guide, look up Ronance Well, it has some small details of the spirit there.

• Like 1

-----

20 minutes ago, David Scott said:

If you have the Guide, look up Ronance Well, it has some small details of the spirit there.

I hope you put a description of Ronance Well in your book, but i understand that you have to prioritize. I have the guide and the idea came from that. The player is using the old Ronance Roads to open the mythic territory and where the road finish he heroquest. The objetive is to link the whole territory.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2016 at 9:30 PM, David Scott said:

Chris Klug over on G+ asked for a list of Praxian gods with their runes. This prompted me to update my work-in-progress structure of the Praxian Tradition that I'm using for the Prax book. Some of the societies are mentioned in HeroQuest Glorantha, and this PNG puts them into the structure I'm using.

Praxian Tradition structure v2.png

Good morning,  questions about the basmoli. Basmol has de Beast and the Earth rune, why the Earth rune and not the Mastery rune or the Death rune?. Basmola is not canon anymore? Is Basmol a spirit or a God? or maybe both. What is his relationship with the lion god of Peloria?.

14 hours ago, kalidor said:

questions about the basmoli. Basmol has de Beast and the Earth rune, why the Earth rune and not the Mastery rune or the Death rune?. Basmola is not canon anymore? Is Basmol a spirit or a God? or maybe both. What is his relationship with the lion god of Peloria?.

To honest I haven't really looked at the Basmoli in any depth. The reason is that the Basmoli (like all Hsunchen) are pure animists and we haven't really had a chance to look at how the transform magic works with the tradition.

Main references

Pavis GtA page 50 (notes they have the Beast Rune)

The Guide page 18 notes the three Basmoli Populations - Prax, Ralios, and Pamaltela. Page 27 has Praxian details, page 150 notes the Beast & Mastery Runes. There are other snippets spread about.

Borderlands and Beyond has many references, page 9 has Tada and the lion dance and many other snippets.

Earth and Beast is incorrect, it's Beast and Mastery.

Basmol is a spirit, there is one group I think in Ralios that worship him as a god.

Basmol is the Basmoli aspect of Lion Gods. Like Bisos and Storm Bull are aspects of the Bull god.

The only real validation of Basmola is in Greg's unfinished novel - In a myth call how the peace was made "Basmola, who was the Mother of Lions"  

• Like 1

-----