Souls of those sacrificed to Yara Aranis

ChildOfEru

I'm slowing reading the HeroQuest Glorantha book and came across this:

Criminals and rebels are sacrificed to feed Yara Aranis and power the Glowline.

Are the souls of those sacrificed to power the Glowline destroyed?   If they are not destroyed what happens?   I doubt that an Orlanthi Rebel's soul would find its way to a proper Orlanthi afterlife.

This is call a for the GM. However if I remember correctly, they are destroyed. If you don't want them destroyed, have a look at where the Lunars put Hosfaring Treeleaper in the Sartar book campaign.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, ChildOfEru said:

I'm slowing reading the HeroQuest Glorantha book and came across this:

Are the souls of those sacrificed to power the Glowline destroyed?   If they are not destroyed what happens?   I doubt that an Orlanthi Rebel's soul would find its way to a proper Orlanthi afterlife.

As an idea: They become the Glowline.

Yara Aranis takes the souls of the sacrificed, and weaves them into her great glamour. For as long as the temples of the Reaching Moon stand, they know no peace, no sanctuary; only the existence of powering Lunar magic.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tindalos said:

Yara Aranis takes the souls of the sacrificed, and weaves them into her great glamour. For as long as the temples of the Reaching Moon stand, they know no peace, no sanctuary; only the existence of powering Lunar magic.

Which means that you can get to them and persuade them to break the link in the Glowline, perhaps making a hole. If you can persuade many of them you might be able to bring down the Glowline.

• Like 5

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Which means that you can get to them and persuade them to break the link in the Glowline, perhaps making a hole. If you can persuade many of them you might be able to bring down the Glowline.

I'd rather say that you might be able to rescue them (via Heroquest) than convince them (I presume they are bound, their free will constrained; their psyche's tied involuntarily to the Glowline)...  But still, this will surely affect the Glowline!  Maybe a hole/breach, maybe a "notch" into territory previously inside the Glowline, etc...

Edited by g33k
clarified/expanded the idea
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, Tindalos said:

I like it.  And it's in line with what Belintar did to create the Building Wall. 

And if they are woven into the Glowline, likely by dividing their six souls into separate parts, then it's not simply a matter of going to the Glowline to rescue them.  You'd probably have to heroquest to one of the Glowline centers, cause it to fail, and then find a way to recover the parts before the Glowline is reestablished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

I like it.  And it's in line with what Belintar did to create the Building Wall. 

I like this idea.  I would like to treat the Lunar Empire as a way of relating to the world that is different from the Orlanthi and not fundamentally evil.  For me, destroying a soul permanently crosses that line.    Better for a soul be bound into the glowline than to be devoured in the belly of Yara Aranis.    As mentioned in this thread, it readily lends itself to a HeroQuest.

1 hour ago, ChildOfEru said:

I like this idea.  I would like to treat the Lunar Empire as a way of relating to the world that is different from the Orlanthi and not fundamentally evil.  For me, destroying a soul permanently crosses that line.    Better for a soul be bound into the glowline than to be devoured in the belly of Yara Aranis.    As mentioned in this thread, it readily lends itself to a HeroQuest.

I could also see it being the greatest duty a Danfive Xaron member could perform, following in his footsteps to become a sacrifice and bridge. That might be the most disturbing prospect for that quest, the fact that many of the sacrifices were willing would be horrifying to an Orlanthi.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TRose said:

I would have the souls suffering and unable to break free since its supposed to be punishment. And freeing one would be a capital offence .

Oh, if you are in the position of freeing spirits bound into the Glowline, you are waaaay past capital offences.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

It is worth remembering that she is a spider goddess.  The Glowline is the Lunar web, within which all are bound together, and upon which attackers become stuck and frustrated.

Of course she eats her victims, and of course they are recycled as Glowline, but whether they have any continued sense of self or existence is very much a matter of YGWV.  I am put in mind of the late, great Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light and the 'reincarnation' of Mahasamatman, where he was aware of his state of existence and somewhat aggrieved to be called back!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps heroquesting to rescue these souls from the Glowline is how Argrath establishes his temples of the Reaching Storm? They are rescued from the torment and disgrace of being forced to serve the Lunars, instead they have the joy and glory of serving Orlanth! 

(which is to say, their situation may not change much, but they are now expected to feel good about it)

• Like 2