Sartarite Free Army

M Helsdon

Composition of the Sartar Free Army

A large portion of Sartar’s army consists of mercenaries and outlanders, with only the core drawn from Sartarite tribes and City Rings.

Brotherhood of Death

Sartarite

Eaglebrown Warlocks

Sartarite

Earth Twins

Tarshite

Egglord Warlocks

Hendriki

Eleven Lights

Sartarite

Free Philosophers

Sartarite

Mularik’s Men

Western mercenaries

Snakepipe Dancers

Sartarite

Tosti Runefriend’s Company Light

Sartarite

Warm Sisters

Esrolian

Bullocks

Praxian

Swordbrothers

Tourney Altar

Twin Spear

Praxian

Antlercase

Sartarite Kheldon tribe

Colymar

Sartarite Colymar tribe

Headhunters

Sartarite Culbrea tribe

Pavis Royal Guard

Pavis

Thieves’ Arm

Pavis - many Sartarite adventurers.

Tworidge

Sartarite Malani tribe

Bush Rangers

Tarshite, Grazelander, Sartarite mercenaries.

Boldhome Royal Guard

Sartarite

Free Men

Hendriki

Gold Gotti

Mercenaries

Guildsmen

Sartarite

1st Bush Children

Tarshite

2nd Bush Children

Tarshite

3rd Bush Children

Tarshite

Candle Dancers

Sartarite

Wolf Runners

Sartarite

Duck City Militia

Sartarite

Tribal Levies

Sartarite

Tribal Levies

Sartarite

Flash Jack

High Llama Tribe

And-Jay

Bison Tribe

Krise

Sable Tribe

1st Pol-Joni

Pol-Joni

2nd Pol-Joni

Pol-Joni

3rd Pol-Joni

Pol-Joni

1st Amber

High Llama Tribe

2nd Amber

High Llama Tribe

Potor

Bison Tribe

Ansil Heavy

Rhino Tribe

Are there official numbers that go with those?

Are you allowed to release those, if so?

If all the above are "yes"es... is it a reasonable amount of work to ask you to do?

C'es ne pas un .sig

Did you replace Sir Narib's company (Nochet-based, according to Harald's city map) with Mularik? I'm missing Baron Sanuel from Smithstone, too.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I would make the Swordbrothers Praxian.  

The Flash Jack, Amber and Potor were once said (verbally) to be Pol Joni related (ie they weren't pol joni but had similar origins) rather than Praxian.  I have no idea what the current story is.  

• Like 1

Some 

5 hours ago, metcalph said:

I have no idea what the current story is.

Some current story (note that all khans wear metal armor)

The 2x 6-5-5-0 Units

The Twin Spears are led by the Waha Khan, Two Spear (Yazurkial’s brother) of the High Llama Tribe. Along with his bodyguard are 5 Waha Khans leading 120 warriors each

High Llama Warriors. Heavy Cavalry. Leather Armor. Lance or spear, javelin, axe or sword, shield. Morale: Veteran.

The Sword Brothers are led by the Sword Khan Zamalath (Yazurkial’s half brother) of the High Llama Tribe. along with 300 Warriors.

High Llama Warriors. Heavy Cavalry. Leather Armor. Lance or spear, javelin, sword, shield. Morale: Veteran.

The 3x 5-3-5-4 Units

The Flash Jak unit is led by the High Llama Tribal Khan, Yazurkial Blue Llama, his bodyguard is led by Waha Khan Bastaki the Poet and his 48 warriors. Magical support is from Flash Jak, the Tribal  Shaman of the High Llama Tribe and his assistants. Also likely are 4 Waha Khans leading 120 warriors each.

High Llama Tribal Khan & Companions. Heavy Cavalry. Metal Armor. Lance, axe, shield. Morale: Elite.

High Llama Warriors. Heavy Cavalry. Leather Armor. Lance or spear, javelin, axe or sword, shield. Morale: Veteran.

The Krise unit is led by the Bison Tribal Khan, Akasha Ironspear. Magical support is from Krise, the Tribal  Shaman of the Bison Tribe and his assistants. Also likely are 4 Waha Khans leading 120 warriors each.

Bison Warriors. Heavy Cavalry. Leather Armor. Lance, sword, javelin, shield. Morale: Veteran

Bison Tribal Khan & Companions. Heavy Cavalry. Metal Armor. Lance, sword, javelin, shield. Morale: Elite.

And-Jay unit is led by the Sable Tribal Khan, Roneer the Hue. Magical support is from And-Jay, the Tribal Shaman of the Sable Tribe and his assistants. Also likely are 4 Waha Khans leading 120 warriors each.

Children of Kyritha (Sable Sub-tribe/phratry)

Sable Warriors. Light Cavalry. Leather Armor. Spear, javelin, sword, shield. Morale: Veteran.

Sable Tribal Khan & Companions. Light Cavalry. Metal Armor. Spear, javelin, sword, shield. Morale: Elite.

4x 4-3-5 Units

Amber Clan 1, Llama Tribe Waha Khan with 5 Waha Khans leading 120 warriors each

Ansil Clan, Rhino Tribe Waha Khan with 5 Waha Khans leading 120 warriors each

Heavy Cavalry. Leather Armor. Lance, axe or mace. Morale: Regular.

Potor Clan, Wind Khan Khardaziel Blackwind (Cousin to Yazurkial's wife) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors, with Wind Khan Bistungji (Kin to Yazurkial) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors, Wind Khan Lower Farangli (Son of Bistungji) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors and Wind Khan (Sister of Khardaziel) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors.

Amber Clan 2, Storm Khan Eight-Horn of the High Llama Tribe leading 110 Warriors, with a mix of 300 other warriors including 3 khans.

Impala Warriors. Light Cavalry. No Armor. Bow, short sword. Morale: Veteran.

Bison Warriors. Heavy Cavalry. Leather Armor. Lance, sword, javelin, shield. Morale: Veteran

Sable Warriors. Light Cavalry. Leather Armor. Spear, javelin, sword, shield. Morale: Veteran.

3x 5-5-5 Units are Pol-Joni

this looks right to me although some errors may have crept in...

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

9 hours ago, Joerg said:

Did you replace Sir Narib's company (Nochet-based, according to Harald's city map) with Mularik? I'm missing Baron Sanuel from Smithstone, too.

I believe that Narib and Sanuel are no longer canonical.

9 hours ago, metcalph said:

I would make the Swordbrothers Praxian.  

I believe that the Swordbrothers include members of all Praxian tribes, as well as a number of non-Praxians.

9 hours ago, metcalph said:

The Flash Jack, Amber and Potor were once said (verbally) to be Pol Joni related (ie they weren't pol joni but had similar origins) rather than Praxian.  I have no idea what the current story is.  

I believed that:

• Flash Jack and the Ambers are High Llama Tribe magical societies.
  • Potor are a Bison Tribe magical society.

However, it seems I am incorrect regarding Potor. Will update my notes.

56 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

I believe that Narib and Sanuel are no longer canonical.

While I haven't been a guardian of Gloranthan canonicity for more than a decade now, I am fairly confident that the original units of the Dragon Pass boardgame are being kept canonical.

There are (unpublished, of course) fragments of stories about the Seshnegi venture in Kethaela and Kerofinela which probably draw upon these characters.

There may well be changes to Sanuel's presentation as of Dragon Pass: Land of Doom, but I don't think he will be written out of Gloranthan canon entirely. Why, even Redbird the Sage remains...

Peter confirmed the re-appearance of Sir Narib in the recent Nochet project, and I am confident that we will see something of Sanuel in the planned Heortland volume of the Kethaelan books.

Is it just me, or does "Narib" sound a bit like a Pithdaran name?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

Sir Narib's Hall and Sir Narib's Compnay Barracks appear on the map of Nochet just south of the Harmast Gate.  The map in question is a recent one and put up http://www.glorantha.com/nochet-city-of-queens/

That may be, but in talking with Jeff a year or two ago, Narib was replaced by Mularik, at least in the Sartar Free Army. Of course, things may have changed since then.

I also understood that Sanuel was removed, but again, things may have changed.

Additional: I've checked through some Army Lists Jeff authored a few years ago: Sanuel appears in the earliest draft but is later replaced by Mularik. Narib was never listed. Things may have changed...

Edited by M Helsdon

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, Sir Narib exists and, yes, his company still exists.  It was missed in the original army list and Jeff has a writeup for it.

Would be interested in any information you can share. Is the Company divided into the Stags and Boars?

3 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Would be interested in any information you can share. Is the Company divided into the Stags and Boars?

Here's a couple of the index references from the Nochet Guide that are pertinent.  I believe Sir Narib has largely hired Heortlanders and Esrolians to protect his sorcerers.

M22.Sir Narib’s Company’s Barracks.  Current residence of Sir Narib’s mercenary company when not out in the field in service.  Narib paid the Caprati family handsomely to take over this building.

M23.Sir Narib’s Hall.  An adventurer from Pithdaros, Narib was once a sorcerer in the service of King Rikard of Malkonwal. When his king fled from the Lunar Empire in 1620, Narib formed a “company” with the surviving sorcerers; Sir Narib’s company found its way to Esrolia where he has variously hired out his followers to those willing to pay.  Narib is indifferent to the local Malkioni and does not acknowledge the leadership of any local Talar, though he has found several recruits from amongst the local Esvulari including Tathorine, daughter of the Speaker of Aeol!

M27.House of the Stag.  The warrior society of the Stag meets here to learn and practice its skills.  They are known for their speed and maneuverability and serve the Caprati family.  Horali of the Stag regiment never sport beards or mustaches and keep their hair cropped.

M28.House of the Boar.  The warrior society of the Boar is housed here.  Known for their tenacious and ferocious attacks, as well as their thick and bristly mustaches, they are sworn to the du Tumerine family.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:46 PM, David Scott said:

Potor Clan, Wind Khan Khardaziel Blackwind (Cousin to Yazurkial's wife) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors, with Wind Khan Bistungji (Kin to Yazurkial) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors, Wind Khan Lower Farangli (Son of Bistungji) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors and Wind Khan (Sister of Khardaziel) of the High Llama Tribe leading 120 Warriors.

Looking at Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, page 231, the Potor are described as a Pol-Joni clan, formed from refugees of the Dundealos tribe. Am wondering if canon has changed?

13 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Looking at Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, page 231, the Potor are described as a Pol-Joni clan, formed from refugees of the Dundealos tribe. Am wondering if canon has changed?

Maybe, my info is unpublished so Sartar is correct.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/