Stat This: The Wasp Knife

Britain on alert for deadly new knife with exploding tip that freezes victims' organs

Last updated at 11:06 AM on 17th July 2008

Senior police officers have been warned to look out for a new knife which can inject a ball of compressed gas into its victim that instantly freezes internal organs.

The 'wasp knife', which can deliver a ball of compressed gas capable of killing its victim at the press of a button, may be heading for Britain, the Metropolitan Police fear.

A needle in the tip of the blade shoots out the frozen ball of gas which instantly balloons to the size of a basketball, freezing organs.

The Metropolitan Police have told colleagues in the West Midlands to be on the lookout for the blade, which is designed to kill sharks and bears.

Enlarge article-1035729-01F90FBF00000578-244_468x165.jpg

The American-made weapon is sold to hunters and divers and injects the frozen gas when the small handle-mounted trigger is pressed.

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

I'd make it equivalent to a normal dagger, but on an impale, instead of the special effect, it does an additional 2d4 damage to the target, with no armor protection. For a hit location system, it's going to be deadly to almost anywhere it sticks into, and will be pretty deadly to even if normal HP are being used.

I'd also make it only effective against living beings, so the special damage has no effect on skeletons, robots, etc. In those cases, it's just an impale.

It looks like it only has a few charges before it needs a new gas cannister.

From looking at the video,It looks like it's only really efective if you impale someone with it and then wait for your next action to trigger the gas. Be interesting to see just how effective it would be if you stabbed something with a little more density, like a slab of beef.

Does anyone else find this weapon terrifying?

I'm not overly terrified... I mean, the notion of being stabbed is plenty bad enough.

I can only assume that if you're going to stick a knife into someone and keep it in there, you're hoping they die pretty quickly.

That channel through the blade is going to weaken it, especially at the tip and without a tang the weapon won't standup up to lateral forces (like a parry) very well. I'd reduce the weapons HP by at least half.

How many HP does a normal dagger have?

Mark

Abusus non tollit usum

"Abuse is no argument against proper use"

Now maybe it is just me, but my first thought looking at the schematic was that opening the valve to release the gas should be triggered automatically by a pressure switch near the handle-end of the blade.

In that case the stats might be: Anytime the weapon does at least four points of damage it then delivers an additional 2d4. But it does this only once, thereafter it fights as a normal knife.

Seems like if you had it impaled in someone, setting off the gas would do away with those skill tests to retrieve the weapon out of the enemy target.

Somehow I think I'd rather have this in the form of a spear... maybe with some system of revolving cartridges to give me multiple charges.

Seems like if you had it impaled in someone, setting off the gas would do away with those skill tests to retrieve the weapon out of the enemy target.

Somehow I think I'd rather have this in the form of a spear... maybe with some system of revolving cartridges to give me multiple charges.

Or one, long, highly pressurized cartridge.

Meat popsicle, anyone?

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

Very cyberpunk, having said that it is blatantly for killing people brutally and nastily, anyone carrying one in the UK should do serious time.

But not James Bond.

How much does anyone want to bet it does show up in the next Bond movie?

Edited by Dredj

How much does anyone want to bet it does show up in the next Bond movie?

I could see that happening... though there is something kind of villainous about it. Seems like James Bond in hand to hand shouldn't have to resort to such shenanigans...

Maybe he could stab a watermelon with it, then push the button... and because he's not holding the watermelon (like the man in the video) the watermelon shoots off the blade and knocks the henchmen off the catwalk and down into the vat of cryonic storage coolant.

A needle in the tip of the blade shoots out the frozen ball of gas which instantly balloons to the size of a basketball, freezing organs.

The American-made weapon is sold to hunters and divers and injects the frozen gas when the small handle-mounted trigger is pressed.

This sounds similar to this futuristic weapon from the Orion's Arm background:

Chemknife: Advanced construction places a hollow duct within a knife blade; this essentially turns the knife into a giant hypodermic needle. The handle contains a low-pressure piston and a fluid reservoir. Upon activation the piston drives the fluid through the duct and into the victim. The usual payload is a toxin or disease agent, but corrosives have been used for anti-cyborg or remote applications. Suspended nanotech agents are equally effective against both androids and biological organisms. Chemknives can be made with only medium tech, and assassins on medium tech worlds have been known to use them.

There are more sci fi weapons here:

http://www.orionsarm.com/tech/melee_weapons.html

:eek: "GM please give me the hyperdiamondoid neutronium coated stasis field armour!"

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)