So what have you been using OpenQuest for?

Newt

Well I have River of Heaven which I have not yet had time to run, but it looks very good.

I also have Age of Shadow, which I may use as a base to run Middle Earth at some stage (probably with some additional concepts brought across from Cubicle 7's The One Ring rpg).

I have introduced my children (late primary school age) to rpgs, and used OpenQuest Basic to do it. Ran a few sessions of classic fantasy along the lines of Basic D&D modules and Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. It worked really well. My 9 yr old has some issues grasping the concept of rolling percentile, but my 11yr old was fine with it.

I have bought The Savage North, intending to run with a more adult group at some stage, when they're in a less adult mood :)

For me I like the simplicity of OQ, and the fact that characters can be rolled up quite quickly. For me it's a nice counterpoint to more 'serious' gaming.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Eheheh, I did a lot with this little gem :D

played a couple of OQ adventures (the road less traveled an the first from the savage north) and tried a AD&D module using the races of Age of Shadows;

I've used the River of Heaven weapons and rules to play a one-shot cyberpunk game and it went pretty well (the only thing I was not satisfied was with the "armor issues" of a cyberlimb, didn't know how to manage the shielding of the cyberlimb in a system without damage location), I was expanding the rules taking bits from cyberpunk 2020 but the thing is on hiatus right now;

then I've played a one-shot with a cthulhu-like setting, with sanity points and mental damages. it was a blast and I'm gonna do it again soon, almost finished a new adventure and can't wait to test it with my friends [insert evil laugh here].

now I would like to translate the chapters of openquest I didn't translate before (my italian translation covers only the chapters included in OpenQuest Basic Edition), and maybe fix a couple of things to use OQ in a Stormbringer / Eternal Champion campaign...

I have RoH but not used it yet. Currently running OQ2 as written for fantasy but added the special actions from RQ6 as my players love them. Last year I ran home brews. Steampunk and a modern Zombie game. I added hit locations for the zombie game.

I love the simplicity and flexibility of the system so it's my go to.

I recently bought print copies of OQ Deluxe, Crucible of Dragons and Savage North. I am preparing a CoD campaign. The content of CoD is exactly the kind of content I need to run a campaign; it gives me all the tools and some story ideas and I can weave the plot as I wish... (one criticism of CoD is that there are a lot of typos!)

OQ is simple yet powerful and I want to convince my team (via demonstration) that it is the rulebook they need for their campaigns ;-)

• Like 1

Greetings Newt and sundry:

As I've posted in other areas of the forum, I'm interested in creating a John Carter of Mars, Sword and Planet, game setting. A few long ago conversations with Jason Durall and others about the once-upon-a-time Sword and Planet BRP possibility left me ever yearning for "...the red sea bottoms of Barsoom."

I didn't get too awfully far in my attempts to interpret Barsoom's races, beasts, flyers, and radium weaponry BRP-style--though I did finish delightful re-read of Borough's series as part of my research. I decided to use MW as a foundation, along with a few other resources, Agents of the Crown, for example, as it looked promising and supported.

A bit disillusioned with Chaosium's new direction, I turned to Mini-D6 instead and made further headway. After a pile of work, I did an initial Chargen test and though things went okay, I still wasn't satisfied and decided to put the project on the back burner in favor of being a player for a time instead of a GM.

Now that I've used OQ to such satisfying effect as my Sword and Sandal setting engine, I'm wondering if it might not be time to take a third crack at my Barsoom.

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

I think OQ would be an excellent engine for this; but really ANYTHING in the BRP family.

I'd also point you at Chaosium's "Blood Tide," and/or C&W's "Pirates&Dragons" (making sure you get their d100-engined version of the game, as they have 2 for the setting); IMHO that whole pulpy-"pirates" feel is actually very close to Barsoom.

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, ReignDragonSMH said:

... Runed Worlds science fantasy inspired by Heavy Metal and Lensman stories and art. 

That's an interesting combo.

HeavyMetal's rebelliousness & in-your-face sex-drugs-rockNroll vibe is very different from the law&order, anti-drugs, strong-morality stance of Lensman...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

A setting that captures that weird rebellious Metal Hurlant /Heavy Metal magazine vibe certainly gets my interest!

• Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 hours ago, g33k said:

That's an interesting combo.

HeavyMetal's rebelliousness & in-your-face sex-drugs-rockNroll vibe is very different from the law&order, anti-drugs, strong-morality stance of Lensman...

Yes indeed. Pitting the two against one another is the idea right now. Pockets of law in a sea of chaos in essence. I do a lot of making lists and scratching items off as I chisel through to the core of it.  Some of the inspiration comes from the Lensman anime movie, but I definitely would want to tap into the stories themselves as inspiration.

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Mankcam said:

A setting that captures that weird rebellious Metal Hurlant /Heavy Metal magazine vibe certainly gets my interest!

I am doing my research for sure, immersing myself in art. Refining the Q21 system to better handle that. /shrug. I am fascinated by the idea and am eager to see where it goes and what kind of audience it finds.

• Like 2

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

• 4 months later...

I´m preparing to play the first module of the "Book of Quests" Campaign for RQ with OQ. I´m thinking to blend it with "Life or Dead" or Savage North... Crucible of Dragons...maybe.

First I want to try the system with the group of the saturdays night. "Hardass" Glorantha´s players (In RQ the third, of course). I like OQ much more for the simplicity but these Orlanth b*st*rds are...stubborn! Nevermind. The game will be great whatsoever!

Hey, Nacho!

Welcome to the OQ Simplicity Club! I hope your game with the RQ3 crew works out! Good Luck!

Cheers!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

I've decided to run my Wind in the Willows style game (set in a fantasy world, although I am contemplating a 1920's/1930's feel setting too) that I call A Breeze Among the Oaks with OQ instead of Mythras, yet I am still running a Mythras S&S game. With the plethora of anthropomorphic figures out there, it is hard to resist using miniatures too and the game is fun.

• Like 1

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

I initially wanted to run an OQ Wind In The Willows with my kids, but decided Fate Acclerated was better for it. In hindsight I also could of gone with HQ.

However my lads also wanted a play a classic fantasy game, so I later ended up retrapping some old Fighting Fantasy gamebook plots and used OQ for the ruleset. It was a perfect fit, we had a great time with it! 

Considering running an asian fantasy for them now, inspired by Journey To The West. OQ is on my list of engines (although I am also considering options of Fate Core/Accelerated, and HQ)

But OQ remains a great option for simple BRP rules for classic fantasy

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Considering running an asian fantasy for them now, inspired by Journey To The West. OQ is on my list of engines (although I am also considering options of Fate Core/Accelerated, and HQ)

Errr cough cough...have you considered this little thing that I'm working on?

Monkey the Roleplaying Game

Full game by the end of the year, Quickstart by the end of the month :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I dont know anything about the Journey To The West game mechanics, so I will definately be taking a look at the Quickstart :)

Edited by Mankcam
  • Thanks 1

Which is exactly why it's going to be a free pdf release :)

I'm getting to run the Mandate of Heaven, aka the Mega Monkey, today for amy home group. This a big ambitious Monkey adventure, spanning Heaven, Earth and Hell. Two of the players are going to be co-Gming it with me in a couple of weeks time, when we fun the full three table version for three groups simultaneously, at Furnace in Sheffield :)

Back to an OQ focus, I still intend to do a Far Eastern OQ setting, alot of the setup for martial arts is already in place in Battle Magic, but it's a long way down the roadmap at the moment :)

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Thanks for the free quickstart release that is coming soon in regards to Monkey, you have definitely grabbed my attention now!

Getting back to OQ, yes I agree that OQ Battle Magic can easily be retrapped in a Wushu/Wuxia coating. i could see this well done.

However in regards to thinking what niche I think OQ shines in, I am a big supporter of using it for classic fantasy. I really love the classic fantasy genre that emerged from many British publications back in the 1980s, many of them portrayed an interesting blend of sword & sorcery, high fantasy, with classic fable elements. Stuff like Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Dragon Warriors, Brian Froud's fairie and goblinoid artwork,  Terry Pratchett's Discworld, etc.

That's the kind of flavour I think OQ works well with. D&D OSR games like Dungeon Crawl Classics, Swords & Wizardry / Crypt & Things etc have oodles of atmosphere, and I just think OQ should really be portrayed in that same niche. I love the cover art of The Savage North, Life & Death, etc more of that is the way to go I reckon.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have been looking into running a one shot sword & sorcery game at Necronomicon 2019. Originally I was going with Desolation, a Ubiquity system rpg that is out of print. OpenQuest strikes me as the next best thing. While it does not have the spontaneous magic system from Desolation, OpenQuest magic can be tweaked to make it a little darker. Plus I would like to support an available product that utilizes the Open Game License. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 3:43 AM, Newt said:

Errr cough cough...have you considered this little thing that I'm working on?

Monkey the Roleplaying Game

Full game by the end of the year, Quickstart by the end of the month :)

You have 27 days... ;)

I just discovered OQ and Crucible of Dragons, looks like my kind of fantsy campaign. I plan to try and get a campaign going with it in the new year.

• Like 1