Hungry Jack?

Jolt

I was wondering how much information has been released about Hungry Jack.  I know little of him(?) outside of what is mentioned in the Dragon Pass wargame.  I don't have a lot of the earlier RQ stuff and outside of the Dragon Pass inclusion I've only stumbled across the name in a single table in Arcane Lore.  What else do we know?

• Like 1

Based on what's been said about Ethilrist, Hungry Jack lives (or lived) in the Mislari Mountains.  The primary source for this is the RuneQuest Companion where Ethilrist describes a fight between himself and the monster while having a simultaneous dick-waving contest with Keener Than.  The Guide itself mentions a crossing of the Mislari Mountains on p364 which was last attempted over a century ago by Ethilrist.

2 hours ago, Jolt said:

I was wondering how much information has been released about Hungry Jack.

As @metcalph noted, the primary info is the RQ Companion.  It primarily lives in the Convergences.  It's powers are like that of a Jack-o-Bear but on a much greater scale (e.g. Harmonize spell to draw prey into its mouth).  Only Ethilrist (and Keener Than as a consequence) is known to have survived (and slain) one.  Once killed, his soldiers carved it up to eat.

http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/enemy_template/3022/ has stats based. There is a cult briefly described in one of the Drastic Resolutions books and it has initiates etc described in the Encounter Generator. All of these can probbly be modded by hand to run with any edition.I think there might have been some sentences as well in the Dorastor books. 

I always assumed that Hungry Jack was the severed head of the Jack-O'Bear chaos deity, a bit like the Left and Right Hand in Snakepipe Hollow.  Ethilrist destroys it, but it eventually returns to the world like the Crimson Bat does when destroyed. 

• Like 2

Whenever I hear of 'Hungry Jack' I think of the Australian franchise of USA's Burger King takaway stores.

thumb.php?src=hungry-jacks.png&wmax=182&hmax=300&quality=90&nocrop=1&bname=122184

Yes totally useless information, but I just had to post it lol

• Like 4

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

"Happy" Jack of Who fame always winds through my mind so there might be some clues to his origins in that song as well . . . the broken body lost in the lapping waters, leaving only the horrible gourd head to dream, grin and propagate. The "furry donkey" implies that his enemies were children of an ancestral Issaries figure. Cast Townsend and Moon (or Daltrey) as the bickering Ethilrist and Than and the adventure writes itself.

I also like the notion of the severed head being part of a larger chaos entity looking for some evil genius to stitch it back together like Atyar and Than. Maybe the bears are its seeds or runners. I wonder what happened to their heads when the pumpkin came in. 

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

• 2 weeks later...