Shaman assisting Lanbril Cultists?

jholen

Greetings,

I've started my Mythras/RQ6 game set in Nochet back up again, surrounding an up-and-coming Lanbril initiate. I've kicked it off and would love to add a second character to the mix, and my curiosity of Animism/Shamanism is very high up on my list. I've been doing some reading and am struggling to find connections between an appropriate spirit society that could work in concert with a Lanbril initiate set in Nochet. All of the logical spirit societies seem to be largely based in or around Prax from my readings. Being that Glorantha is still fairly new to me, I wanted to see if someone could set me in the right direction.

If it isn't plausible, I'll just roll something up from Prax and possibly try to conclude the Lanbril storyline in Nochet earlier than I had intended to tie it in but would prefer to keep things centered in Nochet for the time being as I feel there is so much to explore there.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jeffjerwin said:

Earth Witch/Serdrodosa

Yes, this would be the main spirit cult you would find in Nochet, though certainly uncommon.  And the trolls may have their own, too, but largely secret from humans.

From the Nochet work, you can find a shrine to her in the Deresagar district:  

G144. Serdrodosa’s Shrine.  Serdrodosa the Earth Witch, who had always been considered an outcast and a crazy woman, had the secret of speaking into the rocks and soil so that Ernalda would hear her.  After Ernalda’s return most abandoned her worship, but a few remembered her ways, and adored her for her continued ability to help them find the secrets hidden within the earth, and passed such knowledge on to their children for the day when Ernalda would be taken again.  Led by Granny Bemelisa, the Earth Witches of Deresagar keep alive the traditions of Serdrodosa, listening to the words of the earth and giving advice and healing to the poor folk who need such help.

image.png.5ab2fc07d427b5307ee4aee2e56c84d9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, this would be the main spirit cult you would find in Nochet, though certainly uncommon.  And the trolls may have their own, too, but largely secret from humans.

From the Nochet work, you can find a shrine to her in the Deresagar district:  

G144. Serdrodosa’s Shrine.  Serdrodosa the Earth Witch, who had always been considered an outcast and a crazy woman, had the secret of speaking into the rocks and soil so that Ernalda would hear her.  After Ernalda’s return most abandoned her worship, but a few remembered her ways, and adored her for her continued ability to help them find the secrets hidden within the earth, and passed such knowledge on to their children for the day when Ernalda would be taken again.  Led by Granny Bemelisa, the Earth Witches of Deresagar keep alive the traditions of Serdrodosa, listening to the words of the earth and giving advice and healing to the poor folk who need such help.

image.png.5ab2fc07d427b5307ee4aee2e56c84d9.png

Awesome! I managed to find it at work right after Jeff posted. 

Thinking a female Esrolian with spirit, earth and beast (thinking snakes) runes could work. Going to read up on Serdrodosa. 

Thanks all! I'll post some more tomorrow. 

This is where it is fun to make up your own Spirit Societies.

I normally play that Thieves often have their own Spirit Societies, with each Thief Clan having access to one or more Societies, some common to several local clans but some being unique. This gives each clan an edge in certain situations. You can make up these Spirit Societies, giving minor magic, without impacting on Glorantha as a whole.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

This is where it is fun to make up your own Spirit Societies.

Lots of opportunity for that.

Another thief cult I created for Nochet is that of Auntie Nym.  Whether she is associated with the Earth Witch, or a part of Asrelia, or just a spirit cult is unclear. 

Auntie Nym ci The Acquisitive Spirit, she sets her vermin upon the world to gather and acquire that which she thinks is her due.

The House of Auntie Nym is located in Deresagar near the Muddy Way.

• Like 2

With Lanbril operating on the fringes of society, it is just as likely that they would bring in a misfit outsider shaman. Could be a Gorakiki worshipper, a renegade Damali from Pralorela, or a merman.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

With Lanbril operating on the fringes of society, it is just as likely that they would bring in a misfit outsider shaman. Could be a Gorakiki worshipper, a renegade Damali from Pralorela, or a merman.

I was just reading about the Kolat Spirit Society in Sartar Companion. Could be someone who violated one of their taboos and was visited by the small bee spirit as they didn't amend for their breaking of their taboo and so are now "hunted by alynxes" and so fled to the Holy Country and were recruited by a spirit society in opposition to Kolat.

Could provide some interesting twists.

• Like 1

Here's what I've come up with -- feedback welcome.

Rastarg Oath-Breaker, as he is referred to back in Dragon Pass, fled to Nochet after failing as a spirit worshiper within the Kolat Spirit Society due to the breaking of the taboo, "not to drink." My mind is blanking out at work as to which of the seven winds this taboo is associated, though will fill in that blank during play.

+ Passion: Loves Alcohol (playing using Mythras)

As such, Rastarg was visited by the seven winds and did not amend the spirit in question and so was excommunicated from the spirit society while also being visited and marked by the bee spirit thus drawing the attention of nearby Alynxes.

+ Passion: Hunted by Alynxes (not sure it's a passion, but intend to incorporate this into the game as well)

Rastarg had heard of distant Nochet and so traveled there and was able to come into contact with:

The Short Tooth Spirit Society

Worshipers of Ensoval, Dog God, pup of Rowdril's, and friend to all those opposed hunted by Alynxes. Short Tooth Spirit Society has loose connections to the Kordios Lanbril Ring of Nochet.  I've read Ensoval is the dog god for all domesticated dogs and so feel it fits the Nochet setting more aptly. Rastarg will obviously still need to complete his time as a spirit worshiper and felt that for his initiation to become a shaman/gain his fetch the Bad Man would naturally be Kolat or the Seven Winds, which would naturally oppose him.

New to spirits, shaman, and animism as well as have only explored a bit of Nochet in my brief game so feedback is more than welcome! Thanks

39 minutes ago, jholen said:

the Bad Man would naturally be Kolat

Bad man is actually a chaos manifestation birthed by Kajaboor to catch the Horned God, Kolat may feature but not on the scale of hatred that Bad Man reserves for new shaman. If the  would be shaman fails, there is a chance that they would be permanently annihilated.

In the Great Darkness when chaos devoured everything and fear was food. Horned Man’s other self awoke to timeless possibilities and became his mirror. Weaving songs of power, he escaped Kajaboor’s mesmeric grasp, and his rage birthed Bad Man. With his new skills and songs, the Horned Man changed many in the Great Darkness and guided them to aid the spirits and the peoples.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, jholen said:

Ensoval is the dog god for all domesticated dogs and so feel it fits the Nochet setting more aptly

There's not necessarily a lot of dogs in Nochet.  This is still Heortling territory - remember that Nochet is not only the largest city in the world, but the largest gathering of Sartarites in one city (something like 25k Sartar refugees - alynxes and all).  The Sarli district is effectively the Sartarite quarter within the larger whole.  Geese are another common watch animal, and pigs roam about too.  Snakes are most common in the household to take care of vermin such as mice or rats.

Ensoval, and dog-worshipping Orlanthi, are more a feature of Saird (and they are theistic there, not animists like the Brother Dog followers of Balazar or Prax).  That said, there's room for Sairdite Orlanthi migrants who came to Nochet earlier.  They've just been overwhelmed by the heavy influx of Sartarites who are not going to be dog-friendly.

The Short Tooth Spirit Society sounds good though - and a spirit cult around dogs should be workable.  Just dealing with a lot of competition (and suspicion in some parts of the city).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

Bad man is actually a chaos manifestation birthed by Kajaboor to catch the Horned God, Kolat may feature but not on the scale of hatred that Bad Man reserves for new shaman. If the  would be shaman fails, there is a chance that they would be permanently annihilated.

Got it -- clears up Bad Man, as I was wondering how that actually manifested.

Kolat/Seven Winds would simply be 'enemy' spirits then, having any future dealings with them be handled as such.

28 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

There's not necessarily a lot of dogs in Nochet.  This is still Heortling territory - remember that Nochet is not only the largest city in the world, but the largest gathering of Sartarites in one city (something like 25k Sartar refugees - alynxes and all).  The Sarli district is effectively the Sartarite quarter within the larger whole.  Geese are another common watch animal, and pigs roam about too.  Snakes are most common in the household to take care of vermin such as mice or rats.

Ensoval, and dog-worshipping Orlanthi, are more a feature of Saird (and they are theistic there, not animists like the Brother Dog followers of Balazar or Prax).  That said, there's room for Sairdite Orlanthi migrants who came to Nochet earlier.  They've just been overwhelmed by the heavy influx of Sartarites who are not going to be dog-friendly.

The Short Tooth Spirit Society sounds good though - and a spirit cult around dogs should be workable.  Just dealing with a lot of competition (and suspicion in some parts of the city).

So maybe, similar to David's point, stick to a more traditional spirit society but simply have Alynxes tie into the mix due to the background with Kolat/Seven Winds, as in, they are naturally aggressive/hostile towards the character (not sure if this would be in a more traditional sense or simply on the spirit plane).

Any idea of what a more traditional, fringe, spirit society could be based around? Trying to go for something that is on underground/fringe aspect, to help tie it in with working with Lanbril.

Appreciate all the feedback guys!

• Like 1

Was just reading Harald Smith's HQ:G game set in Nochet and came across this:

"Interesting aspect about rats: IIRC in the past (i.e. old RQ2 Trollpak) they were associated with Argar Argar, god of surface darkness, speaker in darkness, and a troll deity who was also a husband of Esrola. I don't see reference along that line in Sartar Companion though. Even if some are, I'm also sure there are other rats that are not, or are hunted and eaten by trolls or trollkin. Probably periodic plagues of rats or mice after the grain (whether unleashed by Ernalda or endured by Ernalda is a good question - probably when not driven by her, she sends Yinkin and his alynxes and Talosa and her serpents to drive them out)."

So instead of the spirit society being related to dogs, I'll go with rats. Ties in the direct opposition/hunted aspect by Alynxes, fits better into the city/urban aspect, and ties in the more fringe/outcast aspects.

The Short Fang Spirit Society 

Going to read up on some more published spirit societies to work out some details but I think it'll work -- Rastarg took shelter on a trade ship destined for Nochet and in the process came into contact with the group.

Can still mix in the two passions of, "hunted by Alynxes," and "Loves Alcohol" and it seems more fitting than dogs.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jholen said:

Was just reading Harald Smith's HQ:G game set in Nochet and came across this:

So instead of the spirit society being related to dogs, I'll go with rats. Ties in the direct opposition/hunted aspect by Alynxes, fits better into the city/urban aspect, and ties in the more fringe/outcast aspects.

The Short Fang Spirit Society 

Going to read up on some more published spirit societies to work out some details but I think it'll work -- Rastarg took shelter on a trade ship destined for Nochet and in the process came into contact with the group.

Can still mix in the two passions of, "hunted by Alynxes," and "Loves Alcohol" and it seems more fitting than dogs.

Thoughts?

Forgot I wrote about rats there! :P

Yes, much better ties to Darkness spirit cults lurking about in the shadows.  Of course, you've not only got to watch for alynxes (new arrivals, natural conflicts with them encroaching on spirit grounds, etc.), but also all the snakes which will be guarding temples, granaries, and noble houses from such pests.

If the character was cast out of Kolating society, then Nochet and Esrolia are good destinations since the Storm gods and wind spirits are weaker there.

• Like 1

Sweet!

Didn't make the connection between names. I'd posted awhile back (ok, like two years ago) on G+ and you'd shared your pages on RPGGeek which I'd bookmarked. Figured I'd read through and see if I could find something more fitting.

For runes, I'm thinking (spirit)(darkness) and (disorder).

I suppose for the Spirit Society I now need to come up with some friendly and neutral spirits. 

Also, I'm guessing Serdrodosa would naturally be in conflict as well? Not sure on that one -- I had read that Kolat had blamed Serdrodosa, but can't recall the source. I know I've broken ties with Kolat but think Serdrodosa would be in conflict with another Spirit Society encroaching territory, as well as snakes being tied to Ernalda.

Much appreciate the dialogue. Very much enjoying exploring Glorantha!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jholen said:

Rastarg took shelter on a trade ship destined for Nochet and in the process came into contact with the group.

Yes, I could definitely see them infiltrating shipping, particularly to/from Karse since that lies just below the Shadow Plateau.  They may even have some good connections in the Argan Argar cult.  

Alynxes will likely be prowling around the Great Market and the nearby warehouses as the Sartarites have taken up residence to the north.  Other foreigners have settled in small enclaves further south (including the always pleasant Vadeli).

The area south of the Sacred City known as the Dark Warrens is where the trolls live.  The trolls don't tend to wander out much by day, more by night when they lead packs of trollkin around to gather or dispose of nightsoil and other garbage.  There are also rubble runners in the Dark Warrens who might find rats to be a tasty meal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jholen said:

For runes, I'm thinking (spirit)(darkness) and (disorder).

I suppose for the Spirit Society I now need to come up with some friendly and neutral spirits. 

Also, I'm guessing Serdrodosa would naturally be in conflict as well? Not sure on that one -- I had read that Kolat had blamed Serdrodosa, but can't recall the source. I know I've broken ties with Kolat but think Serdrodosa would be in conflict with another Spirit Society encroaching territory, as well as snakes being tied to Ernalda.

Yes, those would be appropriate runes.  

Spirits will exist in the margins of Nochet.  Lots of temples and shrines to varied deities, particularly the Earth goddesses and their large families.  Serdrodosa is the Earth Witch - probably think of her having odd wise women, herbalists, and healers on the fringe of society.  She'll listen to the earth spirits that may exist in stones, broken buildings, odd groves or gardens, trees, etc.  The rats could be considered as messengers of news to and from various spirits.  So I'd keep her neutral.  But the serpents/beasts of Ernalda and the earth goddesses are likely hostile (or hungry), so you can have a certain tension where some earth spirits (particularly old ones buried deeper in Nochet) may be friendly, the wise women of Serdrodosa may be neutral, and those that aid the goddesses are hostile.

Spirits of light will be either aloof or hostile, though bird spirits (including geese) likely hostile (since rats may pillage nests).  Certain cults like Malia may try to use rats to spread disease (and rats will be seen as a sign of increasing disorder) - expect Chalana Arroy cultists to drive them away (though prohibited from killing them).  

Darkness spirits may be neutral, friendly, or foes (I'm sure the trollkin see the rats as food).  Probably a range of Beast spirits that fall across the spectrum from friendly to hostile.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, those would be appropriate runes.  

Spirits will exist in the margins of Nochet.  Lots of temples and shrines to varied deities, particularly the Earth goddesses and their large families.  Serdrodosa is the Earth Witch - probably think of her having odd wise women, herbalists, and healers on the fringe of society.  She'll listen to the earth spirits that may exist in stones, broken buildings, odd groves or gardens, trees, etc.  The rats could be considered as messengers of news to and from various spirits.  So I'd keep her neutral.  But the serpents/beasts of Ernalda and the earth goddesses are likely hostile (or hungry), so you can have a certain tension where some earth spirits (particularly old ones buried deeper in Nochet) may be friendly, the wise women of Serdrodosa may be neutral, and those that aid the goddesses are hostile.

Spirits of light will be either aloof or hostile, though bird spirits (including geese) likely hostile (since rats may pillage nests).  Certain cults like Malia may try to use rats to spread disease (and rats will be seen as a sign of increasing disorder) - expect Chalana Arroy cultists to drive them away (though prohibited from killing them).  

Darkness spirits may be neutral, friendly, or foes (I'm sure the trollkin see the rats as food).  Probably a range of Beast spirits that fall across the spectrum from friendly to hostile.

Rats and mice also eat (vellum) books, which is why Lhankor Mhy temples tend to have cats/alynxes, I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

Rats and mice also eat (vellum) books, which is why Lhankor Mhy temples tend to have cats/alynxes, I think.

Yes, the Knowing God will have an eye out for these rats, and might well have both a recent influx of alynxes, and a traditional usage of snakes to fend them off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, the Knowing God will have an eye out for these rats, and might well have both a recent influx of alynxes, and a traditional usage of snakes to fend them off.

Funny enough, my Lanbril initiate has an enemy who happens to be a Lhankor Mhy initiate. This is shaping up nicely! I'll shift through all this knowledge tomorrow and compose some more thoughts. 

Also bookmarked that tosher article from RPGGeek. Loved the lore of the Queen Rat. Good stuff!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, got some good background ideas put together.  

And if you want an idea for a creepy spirit, consider a Rat king spirit.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king

I'll check it out. Here's what I've got so far. Again, would love some feedback. My understanding is, there will be obviously a high shaman of the Short Fang Spirit Society, who is in contact with the following "special" spirits that are known. And my initiate would obviously have to earn his way into working with them. At first, I'm guessing the high shaman would assist in accessing the spirit plane as well as acquiring charms/fetishes.

Short Fang Spirit Society
(Spirit)(Darkness)(Disorder)

Friendly Spirits: Ancestors (The dregs of society), Beast (Rat), Earth (Foundations of Nochet/Old Nochet)
Neutral Spirits: Serdrodosa/Earth Witch, Disease, Disorder
Hostile: Earth (Societal Order/Goddesses/Rulers), Beast (Alynx/Snake/Birds), Chalana Arroy

____ of Nooks & Crannies: (darkness) nature spirit augments user's stealth -- Typically takes the form of charm composed of rat fur or whiskers
____ of Small Fingers: (disorder) nature spirit augments user's sleight -- Typically takes the form of charm composed of rat claws
____ of Cunning: (disorder) has ability to augment user's deceit -- Typically takes the form of charm composed of rat teeth
____ of Scrounging: (darkness) has ability to cast "Find/Locate"
____ of Excrement: (disorder) has ability to apply/cast poison

Friendly Cults: Kordios Lanbril Ring of Nochet

11 minutes ago, jholen said:

Short Fang Spirit Society
(Spirit)(Darkness)(Disorder)

Hostile: Earth (Societal Order/Goddesses/Rulers), Beast (Alynx/Snake/Birds), Chalana Arroy

Unless the Short Fang are actively pro-disease, pro-death, pro-Chaos, etc, I'd be surprised to see Chalana Arroy as actively hostile.   She is stunningly accepting of others less-than-ideal outlooks.   Of course, YGMV!

Edited by g33k
ygmv

C'es ne pas un .sig