How do you feel about conversions?

Old Man Sweeny

Hey all. This may be somewhat presumptuous, but i thought i may give it a go:

Do people here like the idea of conversions, such as films,books,computer games and other such being posted up?

If so, is this the right forum?

"There's only one way to deal with these mi-go, gentlemen... and thats full auto!"

Do people here like the idea of conversions, such as films,books,computer games and other such being posted up?

Just about everything I do with BRP at the moment is a conversion of some other game. I say post em if yah got em.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I've been curious how BRP would fair doing Vampire the Masquerade.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

I've been curious how BRP would fair doing Vampire the Masquerade.

Actually, take a look at Nighlife: Stellar Games Nightlife , Nightlife (role-playing game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It's the game that White Wolf stole all their good ideas for Vampire and WoD from. But I would still be totally up for a Vampire the Masquerade conversion.

It would be really interesting, however, if someone could take the attributes+skill of Nightlife and work it into BRP (actually, it would probably be better to work BRP rules into Nightlife). I have no idea how that would work, but they are both D100 games, despite using what may be two incompatible systems. My only problem with Nightlife is that regular humans seem a little too wimpy. But I haven't played the game, yet, either.

Oh remember when this came out. I've never looked at it. If it's 100% based I bet a conversion would be easy. Better yet, I'd rather see an original take on the old vampire seen, inspired by these sources. I personally think White Wolf slit their own throats when they recreated Vampire with The Requiem.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

O I personally think White Wolf slit their own throats when they recreated Vampire with The Requiem.

Yeah, but I think there were stuck. They had pretty much detailed every dark little niche in the WoD, and once they had done the Highlander inspired ending books for each product line, they had written themselves into a corner. The can't make money if they can't sell new supplements.

Requiem allowed WW to create a whole new setting, and thus sell more books. Most gamers seem to prefer the old WoD versions, though.

Vampire and Werewolf would be fariyl easy to work up for BRP. Most of the powers are incremental, and have BRP/RQ analogs. MAGE would be a major headache.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

[EDIT: Ok, I read Vampire the Masquerade in the thread above, but just realized that I was thinking of Mage the Ascension when writing the following.]

I think a Vampire conversion would be fairly easy. Substitute the use of SAN as a method for measuring a mage's drift toward Paradox.

One spell casting skill for each type of magic. Sacrifice POW to learn levels of magic for each tradition. Where 1 POW in BRP equals 1 PIP in Mage.

eg:

1 POW Life Magic = 1 Pip of Life Magic

3 POW Life Magic = 3 Pip of Life Magic

5 POW Life Magic = 5 Pip of Life Magic

The magic cost for spell casting is equal to the number of pip's in the spell's effect, as determined by the DM. Every MP (pip) of magic reduces your spellcasting skill by 5 or 10. A failed spell casting roll results in xD6 'SAN' loss for each MP spent. The Mage can sacrifice permanent POW to reduce the number of dice rolled.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

and once they had done the Highlander inspired ending books for each product line, they had written themselves into a corner.

"There can be only one!" (--Highlander III)

~Albert Einstein~

"There can be only one!" (--Highlander III)

"There should have been only one!"

--Vampire the Masquerade, First Edition, referring to Highlander in the "Sources and Inspiration" section. .

Truer words were never put into print. Plus soooo much of Vampire was based on Highlander.

[EDIT: Ok, I read Vampire the Masquerade in the thread above, but just realized that I was thinking of Mage the Ascension when writing the following.]

I think a Vampire conversion would be fairly easy. Substitute the use of SAN as a method for measuring a mage's drift toward Paradox.

One spell casting skill for each type of magic. Sacrifice POW to learn levels of magic for each tradition. Where 1 POW in BRP equals 1 PIP in Mage.

eg:

1 POW Life Magic = 1 Pip of Life Magic

3 POW Life Magic = 3 Pip of Life Magic

5 POW Life Magic = 5 Pip of Life Magic

The magic cost for spell casting is equal to the number of pip's in the spell's effect, as determined by the DM. Every MP (pip) of magic reduces your spellcasting skill by 5 or 10. A failed spell casting roll results in xD6 'SAN' loss for each MP spent. The Mage can sacrifice permanent POW to reduce the number of dice rolled.

Uh, Yuk. (Sorry, nothing personal, I just don't like it).

For starters, SAN for Paradox doesn't work too well. I'd just have spells generate paradox and backlash in mage fashion. Maybe change the "backlash" triggers to 1/2POW and full POW instead of 5 and 10.

As for the spell point costs, well it would give Mage character much more "bang for the buck" than anything else in BRP. Storyteller always had problems scaling off the different powers against each other. MAGE in particular is a problem because it doesn't have that smooth a progression as the other games. There are defininate power jumps. A mage casting a 5 dot effect is getting a lot more out of it than any other BRP character can get for any effect costing 5 magic points.

Maybe it would be better to not have Mage character use MP to cast spells, but just use them to pay for Paradox? A fumbled spell generates Paradox based on the effect, and losing half your MP in one go, or running out of MP means the mage get's to be reality's bitch.

But it is really hard to mix Mage with anything else. It's on a different power scale than most other RPgs and so doesn't mix well. Its hard to run a mixed group with someone who can teleport the toughest Vampire Elder to the other side of the Earth (where the sun is shining) as a moderatly difficult magical action. That doesn'T mix to well with BRP'S way of doing things.

"There should have been only one!"

--Vampire the Masquerade, First Edition, referring to Highlander in the "Sources and Inspiration" section. .

Truer words were never put into print. Plus soooo much of Vampire was based on Highlander.

As someone who only played a little of Vampire the Masquerade. What is the difference between the Masquerade and the Requiem? I only ask because the blurb for "Rome for Requiem" looks interesting and I want to know if it is worth getting and how easy it would be to convert it to BRP or if it's a waste of time.

BRP 31/420

Masquerade had an enormous amount of depth and options, clans powers, history, mythology--that kind of stuff. They ditched a lot of it with Requiem. The new books are slick and sexy as hell, I'll give them that much.

As a stand-alone setting I bet Rome would be cool.

~Albert Einstein~

I've been reading some of Jack Whyte's books set in 4th Century Britain. Got me thinking about a BRP version of the setting...sort of like a cousin to Pendragon, but with a much more historical basis for the setting.

It's perfect, especially depending on when you set it. You've got the decaying foreign power (Rome), the indigenous Britons, invasion, lots of competing worldview (i.e., styles of magic).

Hmm...

I think the word you are looking for is 'adapting'. A lot of RPGs take their cue from movies, books and other sources, then adapt it to fit into the game mechanics of that system.

I am fan of adaptations. Why? It means I don't have to go back and read all of the novels that defined the universe, for example. All of the important information has been condensed for me. I have not read Lord of the Rings. I don't plan to. I am not a fiction reader, but I am a fiction gamer.

Chad Wilson

Current BRP Project: Heroes by Gaslight