Splitting the RQ Fourms

Atgxtg

In light of the new edition, the various differences between RQ2, RQ3 and RQG, not to mention the non-Chaosium versions of RQ floating around,  and to avoiding confusing new players, maybe we should split off the RQ forum into separate forums. The main one could be RQG (the new game) with RQ3 and possibly RQ2 finding a new home in the  Mythic Worlds section? 

Just a thought. What do people think now that the game is out? Should we or shouldn't we?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

There is now a lot of Glorantha discussion (which would be pertinent to players of HQ and 13G as well) going on in this forum. Some of that should probably go back to the Glorantha forum.

Other than that, good use of tags might be the best way to keep this running.

We still have threads that compare editions, or that discuss topics which apply to all incarnations of Chaosium-RQ.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Joerg is right, almost all of the discussion of past editions I've seen recently have been in comparison to RQG. Splitting the forums would just mean crossover threads like that wouldn't have one logical home. Also I find the fragmentation of the G+ groups for different editions really frustrating. In general I think forums should only be split when there is a real practical need to do so due to excessive noise, otherwise it just makes finding the discussions you're interested in awkward and time consuming, especially when some of the sub-forums only ever get the occasional post.

I do think the non-Chaosium editions should be in different forums as many of their core mechanics are quite different, but if someone just wants to discuss RQ2 or 3 on it's own terms here I'm fine with that.

Edited by simonh
  • Like 2

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

10 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

In light of the new edition, the various differences between RQ2, RQ3 and RQG, not to mention the non-Chaosium versions of RQ floating around,  and to avoiding confusing new players, maybe we should split off the RQ forum into separate forums. The main one could be RQG (the new game) with RQ3 and possibly RQ2 finding a new home in the  Mythic Worlds section? 

Just a thought. What do people think now that the game is out? Should we or shouldn't we?

The "Runequest" forum has always been for several-versions-of-Runequest.  Personally, I don't see that changing.

With the advent of Mythras, that game got it's own forum (but I honestly think the Legend forum should roll into that, because AFAICT the Mythras & Legend players both use one anothers' content freely & interchangeably).

With regard to RQG, it is of course The New Hotness so of course it's getting all the buzz.  If anything, it is "the" game to be in the same-named forum (splitting off an "older Chaosium editions" forum).  But I think that would be a mistake.  We already see the compare-and-contrast threads, and the "taking this great bit of RQG into my RQ3-centric Glorantha" threads, and the "keeping this bit of RQ2 in my new RQG game" & other FrankenBRP Glorantha's.

It looks like RQG conversations are fitting rather smoothly into the existing structure & traditions of the forum.

The only purpose I can see to such a split would be to serve the wants of a player-base who so dislikes RQG that they want a RQG-free discussion zone; but I honestly don't think there are enough of them...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

24 minutes ago, Mac said:

Not that we are voting, but if we were, I would like all things RQ and Glorantha to be in one forum.

That would mean combining the RQ, HQ, and Glorantha forums. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I think it makes the most sense to keep Glorantha setting discussions together regardless of system.

The various RQs excepting Mythras / Legend which already has a sub-forum, are not substantially different enough that they can't share space for rules discussion so long as posters reference which edition they are speaking of just as they do (or at least should be doing) in CoC. If RQ is divided into a web of sub-fora, then it seems like CoC would be next. I don't personally see significant the need. In my experience too many sub-forums tends to dilute into a bunch of slow forums.

I could see some value to having a magic specific forum however. It seems that outside of Gloranthan magic, magic discussion by default tend to show up mostly in the BRP forum which seems to be working as far as I can tell. I wouldn't object to a separate magic forum, but I wouldn't campaign for one either. 

Edited by Toadmaster

To me, and frankly all RQ players I know, there have always been a unholy mish-mash of editions in actual play, and I'm pretty sure that will continue even if this RQG is a mash-up of RQ2,3 and 6 with some foreign stuff thrown in (Pendragon and HQ) and a bit new spicing.

So I belive a split would be hardly functional. 

hey Atgxtg ..... What's a FOURMS ???

I don't know what a fourms is But I disagree anyway !

I think we should just split RuneQuest threads and all these starwars-droids threads... because I know R2D2 but which episodes did you found theses RQ2, RQ3 HQ droids ???

Just trolling.... sorry XD

• Haha 2

Leave it as it is for several reasons:

• The RQ Forum has always been for all versions of RQ
  • The Glorantha Forum can be used for esoteric discussions about what colour Zorak Zoran's eyes are
  • I use the What's New feature anyway and browse any changes. The only reason I check out the Forums is when I, very rarely, start a new Thread. I wouldn't want to work out which version of RQ I am thinking about when so doing.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I don't see the point in splitting the RQ forum. On the contrary, I would suggest that several subforums (or all of them!) should be eliminated. When a subforum gets few posts, it feels lifeless and abandoned.

Grając zaś w grę komputerową, być może zdarzyło się wam zapragnąć zejść z wyznaczonej przez autorów ścieżki i, miast zabić smoka i ożenić się z księżniczką, zabić księżniczkę i ożenić się ze smokiem.