Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Hunter

Sun Domers back up weapon

Recommended Posts

On 2/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, Akhôrahil said:

The idea that everyday knives would somehow be ritually impure among Yelmalians for elemental reasons seems... kinda silly, to be honest.

Forks were not used until relatively recently, as they were said to support the Devil. I remember reading that a churchman deliberately used a fork at a dinner party, or the equivalent at the time, to debunk this and promptly choked on a mouthful of food that he had just eaten with his fork, thus reinforcing its place in superstition.

This kind of thing is kinda silly, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Forks were not used until relatively recently, as they were said to support the Devil. I remember reading that a churchman deliberately used a fork at a dinner party, or the equivalent at the time, to debunk this and promptly choked on a mouthful of food that he had just eaten with his fork, thus reinforcing its place in superstition.

This kind of thing is kinda silly, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

True, but forks are a luxury item which have a very narrow purpose which can mostly be performed by other items.

The same is not true for knives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Yelmalians, a knife is just a narrow spear point with a handle for holding. For Orlanthi, it is just a very small sword. Different mythical derivation producing a similar object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

True, but forks are a luxury item which have a very narrow purpose which can mostly be performed by other items.

The same is not true for knives.

actually only water cultists can use forks, other people get attacked by spirits of reprisal if they try to

 

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

For Yelmalians, a knife is just a narrow spear point with a handle for holding. For Orlanthi, it is just a very small sword. Different mythical derivation producing a similar object.

obviously yelmalians can only use knives with round straight handles

 

and only darkness worshippers can play baseball, but they have to use rocks as balls

 

e: wait, fire worshippers could use spear handles as bats... hmm this needs more pondering

Edited by Brootse
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 7:14 PM, Brootse said:

actually only water cultists can use forks, other people get attacked by spirits of reprisal if they try to

 

obviously yelmalians can only use knives with round straight handles

 

and only darkness worshippers can play baseball, but they have to use rocks as balls

 

e: wait, fire worshippers could use spear handles as bats... hmm this needs more pondering

Earth worshipers can play baseball with axes, they just have to use the blunt end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

It's likely that in all cults, members can use whatever weapons they like - unless they are expressly forbidden.

"Everything that is not forbidden... is permitted"

I'm sure that's a quote from somewhere.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, soltakss said:

For Yelmalians, a knife is just a narrow spear point with a handle for holding. For Orlanthi, it is just a very small sword.

For trolls, it's just an usually sharp club?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...