Classic Fantasy - Is there a Volume II?

Tertius

Hello, everyone!

So, for a while now I was thinking about moving all my OSR D&D stuff to BRP, since it's the RPG system I started with, and it's really versatile. I grabbed the Classic Fantasy book (which is really nice, actually), and throughout it, there are all these references to Vol. II: Gamemastery. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the book anywhere. Isn't it out yet? I'm sorry if this question was asked before, but I really am curious, since, being on holiday, I have his rare opportunity to read through everything I need to before actually starting to run something. Please advise.

Thanks a bunch, and cheers!

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, Tertius said:

Hello, everyone!

So, for a while now I was thinking about moving all my OSR D&D stuff to BRP, since it's the RPG system I started with, and it's really versatile. I grabbed the Classic Fantasy book (which is really nice, actually), and throughout it, there are all these references to Vol. II: Gamemastery. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the book anywhere. Isn't it out yet? I'm sorry if this question was asked before, but I really am curious, since, being on holiday, I have his rare opportunity to read through everything I need to before actually starting to run something. Please advise.

Thanks a bunch, and cheers!

Unfortunately, Chaosium's management at the time (not the wonderful crew running things now) were very difficult to deal with and all of my emails went unanswered. The odd thing is that during its run, Classic Fantasy was their best selling non-Cthulhu monograph, so it mystified me that they just didn't seem to care. Eventually, I gave up and moved on. For what it's worth, Mythras Classic Fantasy is the spiritual successor to the BRP version, and a much more complete and well supported product. 

• Like 2

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

On 12/22/2018 at 10:34 PM, threedeesix said:

Unfortunately, Chaosium's management at the time (not the wonderful crew running things now) were very difficult to deal with and all of my emails went unanswered. The odd thing is that during its run, Classic Fantasy was their best selling non-Cthulhu monograph, so it mystified me that they just didn't seem to care. Eventually, I gave up and moved on. For what it's worth, Mythras Classic Fantasy is the spiritual successor to the BRP version, and a much more complete and well supported product. 

I agree, the Mythras version of CF is much, much cleaner.  In fact, to run an OSR (A)D&D or (O)D&D campaign in d100, I'd go for the Mythras version for character creation and development.  It might need some work with the Mythras elements imbedded in it, but I'm not sure Mythras itself is that bad, but even so, it is doable to ignore most of it.  I think you just set the skills you want as "level up" skills and let the players go.  Although I will admit I'm leaning more towards purely development roll after each adventure (1-5, maybe a couple of extras and a freebie for crit rolls during the run) where the player picks what skills they want to work on.

31 minutes ago, Tertius said:

Does Mythras have setting-specific elements imbedded in the rules? 

The core rulebook has a minimal suite of characters used as exemplars for game-mechanics (character-creation, combat, magic, etc).  They exist in an equally-minimal setting, sufficient to support their... example-ness? ... examplitude? ... exempliarity?   <shrug>  Whatevs!

It's a loosely ancient-world setting, apparently.  Few would consider it a full "setting" as such.

The core rules offer SEVERAL flavors of magic; so to  that degree there is a "magic works" implicit; but none of the magic systems are REQUIRED -- you could omit any or ALL of them if you wanted, e.g., a historical / non-fantasy game.

There are lots of setting-specific books available for Mythras.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Tertius said:

Does Mythras have setting-specific elements imbedded in the rules? 

As g33k mentions, not really in the core book. Loosely ancient world, though up to medieval should be no issue at all. Mythras Imperative, the free abbreviated set of rules, can handle modern and futuristic too, as weapons and armor are there, as well as some more modern professions and skills. 

There are separate settings books for Mythic Rome, Mythic Britain, Mythic Constantinople, Monster Island, Luther Arkwright, and a brief one on superheroes, as well as third party books for space, 1920’s weird sci-fi, and probably another I’m forgerting 

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, D100 said:

Whatever happened to Rodney Leary and classic fantasy?

@threedeesix is still going string, as far as I know. Mythras occasionally pushes out a Classic Fantasy module.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

10 hours ago, D100 said:

(from the original post https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/designmechanism/classic-fantasy-2021-2022-line-up-t3637.html )

Rod:

Classic Fantasy 2021-2022+ Line-Up

This gets asked often, and I actually presented this list during our Design Mechanism Virtual Con last year. However, I figured I would post it here for those that couldn't attend. 
There are no dates for these, and everything listed is subject to change, but this is what we have planned for at the moment. Also, the list is not arranged in any form of chronological order. 

Adventures
Lost Temple of Set – Darvin Martin (in art direction and editing)
Danger at Dunfel – Rodney Leary and Che Webster (pre-editorial pass)
Last Gift from Atlan – Ken Seward (first draft turned in)
*The Star Prophecy *– Chad Bowser (first draft turned in)
Skytower – Ian Fletcher (first draft turned in)
War on Twilight Peak – (proposal accepted) Sean Hillman

Rulebooks and Supplements*

Classic Fantasy: Unearthed Companion – 200-220 pages of new classes (anti-paladin, assassin), over 160 new spells (80+ arcane, 80+divine), new monsters (many of them high rank: demons and devils,  beyonders, draco-liches (one of each color) just to name a few. Plus an adult version of each dragon (5 chromatic and 5 metallic) already written up so you only need to alter it with an age template. Finally, a load of Rank 4+ magic items and other surprises.

Classic Fantasy: Player's Handbook - 300ish page book designed with Classic Fantasy players in mind. No monsters. No treasure. However, it will include the full rules needed to play Classic Fantasy and no more flipping through multiple books just to create a character. This will also incorporate revised character classes and balance changes brought on from five years of additional playtesting. 

Classic Fantasy: World of Greymoor – 100+ page setting book detailing the territories in and around the kingdom of Greymyr, including their armies and navies with stats compatible with Ships and Shield Walls for some territorial warfare. Plus, history, calendar, weather tables, overland travel rules, wilderness survival rules, encounter tables according to terrain type, and world map.

Mythras Classic Fantasy Revised: As for the Player's Handbook above. Classic Fantasy itself will get a revised release updating the rules and incorporating playtest changes. It's actual release format is still undergoing discussion, so this is the one book that I really can't answer much in the way questions.

Classic Fantasy: Witchcraft and Alchemy – 32-page sourcebook including the Witch character class, witchcraft, and rules for the creation of potions and elixirs.

Classic Fantasy: Psionics and Psionicists – 32-page sourcebook including the Psionicist class, psionics, and psionic monsters. Including the 5 psionic gem dragons.

Classic Fantasy: Chaos  and Chaos Hunters– 46-page sourcebook including the Witch Hunter class, rules for horror, creatures of chaos, and mind-shattering elder things from beyond time and space. All given a Classic Fantasy spin.

*All page numbers are early estimates and subject to change

• Like 2

15 hours ago, D100 said:

Scroll back up this thread, he's the #3 post (on 22 Dec 2018) from @threedeesix

His status-report then is still accurate today (but the "Classic Fantasy" line at Mythras is even stronger and more-advanced than it was when he wrote that).

C'es ne pas un .sig