Gargoyles

ChalkLine

2 minutes ago, ChalkLine said:

Are gargoyles some sort of mixture of Earth and Air?
Maybe with a dash of Mobility/Stasis weirdness?

The giveaway for me is that there is a rune spell in the RQG Bestiary 

Gata: Provides Gnome to Gargoyle

So they are a form of transformed Earth Elemental (stone) or just Stone Elementals. There's likely a myth as to why they can fly (not so well though).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 hours ago, David Scott said:

The giveaway for me is that there is a rune spell in the RQG Bestiary 

Gata: Provides Gnome to Gargoyle

So they are a form of transformed Earth Elemental (stone) or just Stone Elementals. There's likely a myth as to why they can fly (not so well though).

Whilst this does state A source, it doesn't state that it is the ONLY source.

Gata might be mimicking a creature with Air linkages in order to gain some leverage within another element's area of control. YGWV

Also from the Glorantha Bestiary, p.53:

The Mostali were the first to discover iron and were the first to learn to work it. They have created many other constructs to aid them, from gargoyles and the stone giants called jolanti, to even more exotic constructs like the Alchemical Transformer and the Cannon Cult.

p.119

It is unknown how (or even if) gargoyles reproduce; some scholars speculate that they are ultimately of Mostali origin.

1 hour ago, Ali the Helering said:

Gata might be mimicking a creature with Air linkages

Except Gata largely predates the Air.  It's only her joining with Aether that gives rise to Umath, and then she pretty much withdraws from the world letting Asrelia take her place.

5 hours ago, ChalkLine said:

Are gargoyles some sort of mixture of Earth and Air?
Maybe with a dash of Mobility/Stasis weirdness?

I think the Gargoyles are the children of the earth gods who have become so far desendant that they are little more than physical spirits.  I do think Gargoyles have different origins depending on the Earth Gods that created them (Pamalt, Gata, Genert, Mostal)