A question for the more fastidious gamers ...

Tupper

Finally got hold of my slipcase, bestiary, and GM screen.  They're rather splendid looking things.  One thing that is bugging me at the moment, though, is how to deal with the GM screen.  It looks cool to have the illusion rule on the spine to go with the other books.  However, that sheet of paper is very light, and seems to be tricky to get in and out of the little half-box that holds everything together.  I wondered if I should laminate it, or glue it to some thick card so it's a bit more robust.  What do other people do to make their GM screen look nice in the slipcase, but still easy to get at its contents?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tupper said:

However, that sheet of paper is very light, and seems to be tricky to get in and out of the little half-box that holds everything together.  I wondered if I should laminate it, or glue it to some thick card so it's a bit more robust.  What do other people do to make their GM screen look nice in the slipcase, but still easy to get at its contents?

I removed the flimsy piece of paper even though it looks nice and put it aside where it wouldn't get damaged. 

9 hours ago, jps said:

I put everything in place except the screen, then I slide gently the screen back in. 

I put the cover in the half sleeve of the GM Screen pack, and then gently slide in the rest. The heavier and more solid parts first.

This product might be my only complaint about the slipcase and would love to see a McGiverish solution.

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

13 hours ago, Pentallion said:

I bought this slipcase and the masks of nyarlathotep slipcase and that terrible flimsy paper mess sliding it into the case is my only complaint with both products.

Ha! I was thinking "wait a second, I remember having this problem before, but where?", and yes, it must have been for the Masks slipcase. For that one I just gave up after a day, took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and threw it away. I just received my RQG slipcase and I'll do the same here -- it's just not worth the trouble. I'm keeping the little cardboard tray though. That one's handy.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 4/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, lordabdul said:

Ha! I was thinking "wait a second, I remember having this problem before, but where?", and yes, it must have been for the Masks slipcase. For that one I just gave up after a day, took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and threw it away. I just received my RQG slipcase and I'll do the same here -- it's just not worth the trouble. I'm keeping the little cardboard tray though. That one's handy.

So, this is an old problem for you. Have you given any thought to a solution?  Or is there a problem, how is your Masks slipcase and how old is it? 

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

My Masks slipcase arrived late January and it’s fine, although frankly I haven’t touched it much — I read a few parts of the books since, when I received it, my group was already playing the campaign and we were in the Kenya chapter, so I looked that up in the new edition to find interesting twists or revisions to add at the last minute. So I didn’t touch the GM stuff much except for the screen which, obviously, I had to show off :)

Not having the flimsy paper around the GM material makes it easy to flip though it (while it’s still all in the cardboard base) and pick up what you’re looking for. In comparison, I still have the whole package for the RQG slipcase and looking for something inside it is trickier since you can’t bend the papers as easily: you can only bend one corner (does that make sense?), and so it’s easy to rip/damage that piece of paper. That’s why I gave up with Masks and threw it away (I had actually damaged it a bit I think).

One thing to know is that, for the Masks slipcase, the cardboard base is actually mostly black, so it looks ok even without the paper wrap. The RQG one however has the partial spine print on it so it doesn’t look as good — but frankly even with the paper wrap, because it doesn’t line up perfectly, it’s a bit weird too anyway.

So yeah I think I want to prioritize making it easy to find a map/sheet/whatever quickly over making pretty, basically.

Here’s a picture! Did that answer your questions?

BF1BD595-BD50-4EAF-8633-CF315AD7298E.jpeg

Edited by lordabdul
  • Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

For my Masks slipcase, I took out all the handouts and put them in a laminated binder and I slide my COC7E rulebook in the empty slot, GM screen is proudly displayed above my desk as to strike fear in the heart of all my other projects, work, and assignments.

Edited by Larry Lovecraft
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

One thing to know is that, for the Masks slipcase, the cardboard base is actually mostly black, so it looks ok even without the paper wrap. The RQG one however has the partial spine print on it so it doesn’t look as good — but frankly even with the paper wrap, because it doesn’t line up perfectly, it’s a bit weird too anyway.

Yeah, this looks perfectly fine, elegant even. And I get the ease you mention, that the RQ slipcase currently lacks (or at least the GM's screen pack.

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

And I get the ease you mention, that the RQ slipcase currently lacks (or at least the GM's screen pack.

Well, it will get easier after I remove that piece of paper :)  I mean you can just try it: keep the paper and try to find, say, the Apple Lane map without having to remove everything and putting back again. Then remove the paper and repeat the operation. I find it much easier the second time, when the paper wrap isn't squeezing the things you're trying to sift through.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, lordabdul said:

What doesn't line up "perfectly"? And as for the partial spine print, perhaps do what you did with the Masks GM Pack and simply turn it around.

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

What doesn't line up "perfectly"? And as for the partial spine print, perhaps do what you did with the Masks GM Pack and simply turn it around.

It doesn't line up perfectly when you're a bit OCD like me and get annoyed by very small details :)  You can see it in your picture where the vertical stem of the "E" shows up twice, and the baselines are not totally lined up (in your case it's definitely caused by the damage on your cardboard base, but even in my picture you see a bit of the same issue).

Oh, did I turn the Masks one around? Haha, I didn't realize it :)  I'll check when I'm back home, but yeah, good idea, I'll turn the Runequest one around too then!

Edited by lordabdul
  • Haha 1