Modules with Rewards like Rainbow Mounds

Tywyll

Royal Jelly from giant bee hives increases your SIZ. There are some mechanics around resting whilst the process takes effect, and doses after the first require a standard species max based improvement roll.

Edited by PhilHibbs

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Are you actually after the modules to run?

Or merely to get ideas on what sort of magic items to place in your own scenarios?

Both. Though again, I am not looking for items unless they impart a permanent change to the pc.

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Royal Jelly from giant bee hives increases your SIZ. There are some mechanics around resting whilst the process takes effect, and doses after the first require a standard species max based improvement roll.

Interesting...is that detailed in their description or a module?

I was thinking eating a dragon heart might boost species POW max and bathing in its blood might grant armor (ala Siegfried).

12 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Interesting...is that detailed in their description or a module?

I was thinking eating a dragon heart might boost species POW max and bathing in its blood might grant armor (ala Siegfried).

Trollpak. Dragons, that would be specific to the dream dragon I think. They would all be unique and individual. The Great Lizard Mother in the Rainbow Mounds may be somewhat draconic in nature, she is described as a dinosaur, and they are reckoned to be degenerate dragons.

• Like 2

Trollpak.

The pdf of the old RQ2 version hopefully will be out in the not-too-distant future (part of the RQ Classics line).

Dragons, that would be specific to the dream dragon I think. They would all be unique and individual.

I agree these should be individual. I do like the armor gained from bathing in the dragon's blood (though whether permanent or not is another question - personally I like the idea that it flakes off if the person proves inimical to draconic ways). But I think there is a high risk of gaining a passion based on the dragon's passion (e.g. Greed, Lust, etc.).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The pdf of the old RQ2 version hopefully will be out in the not-too-distant future (part of the RQ Classics line).

I agree these should be individual. I do like the armor gained from bathing in the dragon's blood (though whether permanent or not is another question - personally I like the idea that it flakes off if the person proves inimical to draconic ways). But I think there is a high risk of gaining a passion based on the dragon's passion (e.g. Greed, Lust, etc.).

I was thinking permanent, again ala Seigfried) but yes, there would definitely be some draconic passion traits!

Trying to think of abilities you might gain from other monsters...

Edited by Tywyll

28 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Trying to think of abilities you might gain from other monsters...

So far we have big lizards, dragons, giant bees, and mushrooms. Eurmal's Crumbs are mushrooms that grow in the Rainbow Mounds and they can permanently adjust your characteristics. Any organism can create magic, and sometimes that magic can be permanent. There may be herbs and fruits that have permanent effects, creatures that live in magical environments or create magic as part of their metabolism can also do the same like bees do with royal jelly. So really the canvas is wide open. You might find creatures that exude slime that can be absorbed into the skin to give permanent effects like shimmer or spiritual armour, or whose flesh grants benefits (or causes problems) when consumed. Dragon hearts, you already suggested. Eyes, brains, genitals, all these could have magical effects. My brother's in-laws in China gave me a bottle of deer penis wine, in Glorantha that could give a Fertility rune boost. Mostly that kind of thing would be temporary, but it could be permanent if the magic is really strong, like if the deer has been eating magical plants, lives in a highly magical environment, or is just a really powerful, magical deer like a White Hart.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 3

I remember an RQ3 adventure I was run through a few years back with a gift like these. I don't know the name of the module, unfortunately. We were hired by Barren/Barran/Baron? the Monster Slayer to go with him inside a huge eel--I think it's a sea god's pet, as someone with a few more percentage in Grognardia now I'd bet it was Magasta's--and help him get to its heart, where he'd stab it and go into the Hero Plane for the real fight. This was set in Corflu, during the Lunar occupation.

When the adventure ended we got spat out of the eel and some of us got funky changes to our characters. I don't remember the others (I bet my GM had a d100 table for it) but mine got webbed fingers, which gave him +20% to Swim rolls.

I really hope we get a reprint of the RQ3 stuff someday. I played through a good deal of material from it, but have no clue what actual modules we ran.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

13 hours ago, Crel said:

I remember an RQ3 adventure I was run through a few years back with a gift like these. I don't know the name of the module, unfortunately. We were hired by Barren/Barran/Baron? the Monster Slayer to go with him inside a huge eel--I think it's a sea god's pet, as someone with a few more percentage in Grognardia now I'd bet it was Magasta's--and help him get to its heart, where he'd stab it and go into the Hero Plane for the real fight. This was set in Corflu, during the Lunar occupation.

When the adventure ended we got spat out of the eel and some of us got funky changes to our characters. I don't remember the others (I bet my GM had a d100 table for it) but mine got webbed fingers, which gave him +20% to Swim rolls.

I really hope we get a reprint of the RQ3 stuff someday. I played through a good deal of material from it, but have no clue what actual modules we ran.

Yup, Strangers in Prax. I have the module. That addition was, if I recall correctly, pretty much a DM fiat. I don't recall there being any benefit to the PCs for helping Barran do his thing other than standard physical rewards. So good on your GM! I certainly thought that helping someone accomplish what Barran does should have had more impact on the PCs (and thought it was lame they couldn't accompany him to the Hero Plane). 

(Of course I could be wrong, its been awhile since I looked at that module so I may have forgotten or missed it). 

Edit: I was wrong. You can get 'gifts' while inside the Vomiter by doing certain things, so yeah, good spot! Thanks for that.

Edited by Tywyll
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:41 PM, PhilHibbs said:

You might find creatures that exude slime that can be absorbed into the skin to give permanent effects like shimmer or spiritual armour,

And makes you look like a Chaos creature... :D:D:D

On 5/25/2019 at 11:41 PM, PhilHibbs said:

or is just a really powerful, magical deer like a White Hart

And that's why I support Tottenham! :D

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, PhilHibbs said:

People make this mistake all the time - "X is on the chaos feature list, therefore anyone with X is chaoitc". Go tell that to Forang Farosh.

Isn't he sort of undead/possessed? Tied to dragons or dragonkin has been regarded quite similarly in certain quarters.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 5/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, PhilHibbs said:

People make this mistake all the time - "X is on the chaos feature list, therefore anyone with X is chaoitc". Go tell that to Forang Farosh.

Yes, Bolgar Brother of the Bull, I know that you are a Storm Khan with many years of experience and I know that broos and such like can Spit Acid and that you have suffered many a grievous wound fighting Acid-Spitting broos and other what-not, but I can categorically assure you that my own personal Acid-Spitting ability is definitely 100% not Chaotic and MIND WHERE YOU PUT THAT SWORD!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

9 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Yes, Bolgar Brother of the Bull, I know that you are a Storm Khan with many years of experience and I know that broos and such like can Spit Acid and that you have suffered many a grievous wound fighting Acid-Spitting broos and other what-not, but I can categorically assure you that my own personal Acid-Spitting ability is definitely 100% not Chaotic and MIND WHERE YOU PUT THAT SWORD!

That's the kind of speech you deliver after having subdued the Storm Khan with a lariat and a sharp stick...

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

9 hours ago, Joerg said:

That's the kind of speech you deliver after having subdued the Storm Khan with a lariat and a sharp stick...

"Brother Bolgar - why have you not destroyed that evil, chaotic acid-spitting monstrosity walking around the tula?"

"He had a lariat and a sharp stick..... :( "

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, Shiningbrow said:

"Brother Bolgar - why have you not destroyed that evil, chaotic acid-spitting monstrosity walking around the tula?"

"He had a lariat and a sharp stick..... :( "

"But, you have a 6' Greatsword!!!"

"It was a really sharp stick...."