Is the Sartar Campaign Dead?

swashbuckler

I'm talking about the campaign as described in Sartar Kingdom of Heroes, where campaign was said to be continuing in Whitehall: The Last Rebel King? 

I'm assuming this went the way of Sartar Rising, but I would love to find out that I'm wrong...

~Sean

Edited by swashbuckler
  • Sad 1

Do you really mean: are any further publications planned in that campaign line?

I’m guessing the answer to that question is no. Jeff, as the primary author, appears to be pretty busy with the other Chaosium lines that have bigger audiences than HeroQuest, eg. Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest.

I believe that Ian Cooper has enough material in draft status for a HeroQuest book, containing ‘off-stage’ material from the Red Cow campaign (and perhaps more). He ran the Dragonrise heroquest from this for a small group including me at a con and it was marvellous! I hope to see it published in the next few years.

While I prefer HeroQuest to the other Chaosium systems that I’ve played (or run), I believe that it makes complete sense for Chaosium to focus on the systems with the bigger audiences. They need the revenues from those audiences to keep publishing the high quality material that we expect. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I can't imagine anything else coming out for it - The Great Argrath Campaign will in every likelihood take years and years to complete, and HeroQuest looks to be on the backburner (and both Red Cow expansions and the Fonrit campaign are likely the priorities there).

That said, there is a Whitewall sourcebook coming out for RQ.

Honestly, this probably belongs over in the HQ forum, as it's REALLY about a specifically-HQ book; it's liable to get more direct and specific attention there.

I think @Ian Cooper has said that he has more Glorantha content waiting in the wings; but the push to get the HQ3/SRD finished & published is top priority, and I presume follow-on products will need to be adjusted to the new 3.0 rules and the OGL-fronted publishing paradigm.

Maybe Ian will be @at summoned to respond here...?

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

That said, there is a Whitewall sourcebook coming out for RQ.

As one of the writers for the Whitewall book for RQG, I will note that the material is post-Dragonrise and does connect to the Colymar, but is not connected to the HQG content.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

As one of the writers for the Whitewall book for RQG, I will note that the material is post-Dragonrise and does connect to the Colymar, but is not connected to the HQG content.

That’s what I assumed. Supposedly you will still be able to mine it for stuff that happened Back Then?

Edited by Akhôrahil

33 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Supposedly you will still be able to mine it for stuff that happened Back Then?

It's more scenario/adventure, less source book, though the overview and maps suggest some of the events and show current state in 1625-6. But certainly opportunities to mine further.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just to comment.

The Eleven Lights is essentially a replacement for the Sartar Rising Campaign (although you could certainly use Barbarian Adventures and Orlanth is Dead for inspiration for your 11L campaign). There is  planned Vol3, which would cover the Sky Ship and the Dragonrise. It's been playtested a few times, and I finally have the key to finishing it.

The work to complete that is behind the QuestWorlds Core Book. Once that is out, and we start the genre packs appearing, that will be next up.

I do have some other plans to keep producing smaller HQG releases (think Highwall Inn) to keep adding material to the line whilst we wait.

With Jeff focused on RQG, Whitewall: The Last Rebel King is unlikely. Once the RQG team looking at Whitewall has got something done, maybe we will look at that again, if there is still demand. But no commitments or promises. It would probably be a bridging product covering the period between the end of the Colymar Campaign and the Great Winter (as we covered that in 11L and Orlanth is Dead can add more)

It's the problem with advertising 'coming next' in a book. Everyone gets disappointed if it does not happen, over treating the work as complete, in and of itself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, Ian Cooper said:

Just to comment.

Thanks a lot for the update! It's great news that the Red Cow Vol3 is still in a schedule somewhere, I'd love for this to finally come out.

Has there been any thought given to the idea of releasing dual-system books, a bit like what, say, Achtung! Cthulhu did (they released a FATE and a CoC7 version of their books, with only stat block differing, effectively). It could bring more products to the HQG line with less effort (taking books from the RQG line) ?  Maybe even to 13AG, who knows... Or do you think the design philosophy of those lines differ too much that they can't really share the same text?

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

48 minutes ago, AndreasDavour said:

To make things worse for the line, I suspect less buyers will buy the book if it comes out so long after the last one. It's absurd to talk about "dead" game lines, but that's psychology for you...

B-but the p&p rpg hasn't received patch updates or DLCs in months! It's dead! DEAAAAAAAD!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

B-but the p&p rpg hasn't received patch updates or DLCs in months! It's dead! DEAAAAAAAD!

To be fair diehard Powers & Perils fans are still digesting the massive Western Lands supplement Richard Snider handed the mailing list back in 2006 and it was awesome enough to sustain us all this time . . . oh, you mean pen and paper. Well, yeah, in that case, better start the moan.

It'll be ready when it's ready. If people want it to happen faster, convince the examiners.

• Haha 2

singer sing me a given