Subcults and other cults

Pheres

22 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

These arguments appear mutually contradictory.  Either the subcult has no existence outside of a central cult, or it can be shared between several.

I'm not sure if they are contradictory... I don't know if a subcult has to necessarily be exclusively subservient to a unique cult -- i.e. it could be a subcult of 2 cults, because it's about a deity that merges aspects of 2 other primary deities. That said, I don't know if there's any precedent on that. AFAICT, Arroin is a subcult of Chalana Arroy, but an associate cult of Humakt (at least according to the Cults Compendium).

22 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

I appreciate that the system has changed, but that doesn't mean that the Gloranthan mythology changes.  The mode of simulation does not change that which is being simulated, quantum universes aside😎

That's a fascinating subject that would merit its own thread :D (and yes, I slightly disagree)

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

3 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I'm not sure if they are contradictory... I don't know if a subcult has to necessarily be exclusively subservient to a unique cult -- i.e. it could be a subcult of 2 cults, because it's about a deity that merges aspects of 2 other primary deities. 

Yep, it could be.  My point was that the two arguments don't fuse neatly.  As has been said, the Thunder Brothers are an exception, but so are many others. 

Rules are often misleading, guidelines being far more useful. 

Your Subcult Will Vary😁

Please correct me (gently) if I am wrong, but to me the objects of subcults are akin to saints. Take for example St. Michael. The same St. Michael is revered by the Catholic Church as well as the Greek Orthodox Church. As well as in the Torah and the Quran, etc. etc.. So to me subcults for the same gloranthan hero/demigod could exist even across different cults. If they don't exist, I don't mind either way.

Could a subcult exist outside of the main cult? Why not! If the subcultists decide, that there gods teaching is not in line with the main cult anymore (brought to you due to some nefarious heroquesting by a bunch of Lunar Heroes), they just pack up and go (after some heavy religious and probably civil uprising).

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, Ali the Helering said:

These arguments appear mutually contradictory.  Either the subcult has no existence outside of a central cult, or it can be shared between several.

The reason this seems confusing to you is that you aren't illuminated in Schrodinger mysticism.  An illuminated Schrodinger Mystic can perceive all elements of the simultaneity of Godtime at once.  Until you can observe that, subcults are both never separated from the larger cult and always separated from the larger cult. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jolt said:

The reason this seems confusing to you is that you aren't illuminated in Schrodinger mysticism.  An illuminated Schrodinger Mystic can perceive all elements of the simultaneity of Godtime at once.  Until you can observe that, subcults are both never separated from the larger cult and always separated from the larger cult. 

No need to get catty:D

• Haha 2

On 12/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, Pheres said:

Subcults can provide rune spells that are different from the main cult. But can subcults have particular subcult skills?

Yes.

The Kuschile Subcult teaches Horse Archery as a skill, for example.

And could a subcult have different cults affinities than the main cult.

Potentially, yes.

Barntar is an Earth rune subcult of both Ernalda and Orlanth, I believe.

For exemple, can a Daka Fal subcult that is related to an ancestor who is the daughter of Orlanth be associated with Orlanth cult (Daka Fal cult is not in good standing with Orlanth, basicaly)?

Daka Fal is an odd one, being Neutral to most cults, but, yes, that would make sense. The Kyger Litor cult has Daka Fal as an associate cult, or used to in older versions, so I can see an ancestor-worshipping Hero of Orlanth being both a Subcult of Orlanth and Daka Fal.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, Ali the Helering said:

Indeed, but he has also been listed as a subcult of Orlanth.  This is a separate existence, nicht wahr

A Deity can be a Subcult of another Deity and have a cult of its own.

I think all the Thunder Brothers can be worshipped separately, but are usually worshipped as Subcults of Orlanth.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Too each there own, the tales of the orlanthi of that part of the world told during such an epic period made me want to play Dorastor (an itch I have yet to scratch). Evocative, hells yeah!

Dorastor is a great place to play. When I was GMing Dorastor, Channel 4 had a late-night series of Japanese monster B--Movies, so the big monster invariably appeared in Dorastor over the coming weeks. It's the kind of place where absolutely anything goes.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, Ali the Helering said:

These arguments appear mutually contradictory.  Either the subcult has no existence outside of a central cult, or it can be shared between several. Indeed, it was previously stated that Hedkoranth had a distinct cult. 

It depends on the power of the Deity.

A Hero might just have a SubCult as the Hero isn't powerful enough to warrant an independent cult. 

Some Heroes become powerful enough to have independent cults.

Some Deities have independent cults but are also worshipped as SubCults of larger Deities. 

For example, the Only Old One used to have a cult, but is now a SubCult of Argan Argar. Barntar is worshipped as a SubCult of Ernalda and Orlanth, but during the Lunar Occupation of Sartar, when the cult of Orlanth was banned, people worshipped Barntar as a main cult, with Orlanth as a Subcult.

Edited by soltakss
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

... but during the Lunar Occupation of Sartar, when the cult of Orlanth was banned, people worshipped Barntar as a main cult, with Orlanth as a Subcult.

But not merely as a "subcult.". Orlanthi was a secret subcult.

Arguably -- because of this Cultic format -- Barntar is ironically a better way to get to Illuminated Orlanth than is mainstream Orlanth!

C'es ne pas un .sig