Cthulhu Dark Ages 2nd Edition

The Hooded Claw

On 2/8/2020 at 3:16 AM, Addison said:

I see that the second edition of Cthulhu Dark Ages has popped up on a few online retailers as a preorder.

Are there any advance glimpses of what we can look forward to?

489692056_CthulhuDarkAgesfrontcovermockupv2.thumb.jpg.6acaef82028036e04b65fc0c9d9bd4cc.jpg

Cthulhu Dark Ages is a world lit only by fire. The ancient empires collapsed centuries ago, taking their culture and learning with them. It's a dark world and people are right to be afraid of the dark. Apart from the Viking raiders, witches, and outlaws, there are the unquiet dead, ancient horrors, and other malevolent beings stalking the countryside. Dark entities, beyond good and evil, wait hidden in the recesses of time and the angles of space. A few brave souls try their best to resist these horrors and push them back from whence they came. Will you be one of them?

Cthulhu Dark Ages has been updated for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition, completely revised and with a wealth of new setting material. Included are a players' guide to the Dark Ages, an optional Sanity mechanic which mirrors the medieval mindset, rules for the oral tradition of storytelling, rules for mounted combat, a grimoire of Dark Age spells and optional rules for folk magic, a bestiary of monsters, as well as a fully detailed setting - the Anglo-Saxon community of Totburh in England's Severn Valley which includes interesting characters, dwelling descriptions, and a multitude of plot hooks for Keepers to use and develop. In addition, three scenarios introduce players to the Dark Age Severn Valley.

CHAPTERS

• Introduction and Foreword
  • Anglo-Saxon England
  • A to Z of the Dark Ages
  • Dark Age Investigators
  • Game System
  • Investigative Horror in the Dark Ages
  • The Cthulhu Mythos in the Dark Ages
  • Bestiary
  • The Community of Totburh
  • Three Scenarios: 'The Hunt'; 'The Doom That Came to Wessex'; 'Eseweald'
  • Appendices

1556127120_CDABritain.png.1fbb1850f1e896b7db74f28b006fcd96.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

On 2/7/2020 at 8:03 PM, Dethstrok9 said:

... Byarlethotep! ...

Barley Hotep?

Don't they sing that at the Renfaire events?  After closing, I mean... When the customers are gone for the night, and it's just themselves and the darkness...

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 minutes ago, ajtheronin said:

How different this edition will be to the GenCon 2015 edition? Same text different layout and art? Or the changes are more significant?

The most recent full edition is 2003? Am I missing something? Are you referring to the Dark Ages section of Cthulhu Through the Ages?

Edit: Ok, it seems that there was a limited release Ashcan version of Cthulhu Dark Ages at Gen Con 2015.

It seems to me like this book was rebuilt from the ground up, but @MOB would need to confirm that.

Edit 2: The more I look into this the more confused I get. This may NOT be that different from the 2015 Gen Con Edition.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, klecser said:

The most recent full edition is 2003? Am I missing something? Are you referring to the Dark Ages section of Cthulhu Through the Ages?

Back in GenCon 2015 Chaosium had some pre-published copies the newest version fo Cthulhu Dark Ages. It even had the same cover. 

There has been a few threads about it. (Yup, this and Cthulhu in Space are two obsessions of mine)

• Like 2

I can't wait to pick this up. I've always wanted to run Pagan Call and now i'm going to. Well done!!!

Edit: I just realized my copy of Dark Ages has a different scenario called 'The Tomb'. It's about 40 pages or so.

Edited by 10baseT
adding detail
  • Like 1