Cult of Vivamort

Bran the Brainless

I was reading through “Lords of Terror” and it mentions an upcoming campaign supplement “Tower of Night”, with a full description of the Vivamort cult. As far as I know, this never made publication. So, does anybody know what happened to it, and how far it got, and has there ever been a write up for the Vivamort cult for 3rd edition and beyond.

Thanks

• Like 1

The Cult of Vivamort was dropped from Lords of Terror because the sorcery for that cult wasn't quite decided at the time of reprinting the rest of Cults of Terror, IIRC. The vampire in

Sun County

is the only instance of a Vampire being statted out in RQ3, if I remember correctly. In his case, forgetfulness was the reason for absence of such magic, again IIRC.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Thanks, I’m well aware of the “just roll up new characters guys” vampire In a certain temple. I’ll have to check out the ones in Dorastor. I always felt the game mechanics of vampires in 3rd edition clashed with the cults of terror mechanics. So it will be interesting to see how that’s resolved in the Gods of Glorantha book.

A lot of people didn't like that Vivamort granted Runemagic, as vampires don't have POW.

I don't mind that, particularly, as Vivamorti could sacrifice for a rune Pool and gain Runemagic as non-vampires, retaining the use as Vampires.

There is a sorcerous version of Vivamort on my website, but I hope that this is superseded by Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I understand the issue with game balance, but there is a simple solution;

Vivamort can buy rune magic with MP, but it fades when the sun rises, or after a set period of time.

That way vampires who are free to feed as much as they want are very powerful, they can maintain a large array of rune spells, while vampires who don’t have an endless supply of food must choose their magic carefully.

Edited by EricW
  • Like 1

From the RuneQuest Bestiary, it's said that "Since Vampires have no POW, they cannot cast spirit magic or sacrifice for new Rune points except with Vivamort". (RGB p106).  How a Vampire acquires Vivamort Rune points is not described but I imagine it involves sacrificing victims.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, metcalph said:

From the RuneQuest Bestiary, it's said that "Since Vampires have no POW, they cannot cast spirit magic or sacrifice for new Rune points except with Vivamort". (RGB p106).  How a Vampire acquires Vivamort Rune points is not described but I imagine it involves sacrificing victims.

I'm completely in the dark here, but couldn't the whole bloodsucking thing work to make that work?