Cloud mist and darkwall

Manu

Just now, Manu said:

I saw that Orlanth is providing Cloud mist, a bubble of... 2m diameter!!!! of mist.

Darkwall is 10 meter square

Isn't it a typing mistake? Isn't it 20m diameter?

I don't think so - the myth behind this spell is most likely the Four Magical Weapons myth, with Huraya's Scarf of Mist being the "weapon" activated by this spell.

This doesn't hide you on a clear day, or in a big room, but it will be quite effective in an evironment that already is fogged up or inside of low-hanging clouds.

You need dark spaces for Darkwalk (the Sandals of Darkness spell) to be efficient. You need misty spaces for the Scarf of Mist to do more than tp make aimed shots impossible.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Ok for a Myth point of view. But for a game point of view, 1 rune point for 2m diameter, it is crap. As it reduce the visibility to 1 m.Therefore, you are visible. Or you need to spend 2-3 rune points (or even more) to make it useful. Shield 3 is far more useful then.

I understand that spell should be backed up by myth, but the area of effect (or the power) is more related to game (and fun). This spell is not fun. Neither is he useful.

4 hours ago, Manu said:

Darkwall is 10 meter square

Remember this amounts to just over 3m wide by 3m tall (or you could shift it to 5m wide by 2m tall), and its a wall (though movable). It's also obviously dark unless its nighttime or you are in other shadow. Depth is only 10cm. 

The spell cost is 2 MP, so equivalent in magical value to 1 RP.  As with all spirit magic though, the duration is short.

There are no restrictions noted for the Mist Cloud, so you could target it on an immobile spot; or you could target it on yourself (or the foe) so that it moves with you (or with the foe). The "natural" effect suggests that its not obvious. The duration is longer - 15 min. - and can be extended. I'd probably go with a doubling of the diameter per point of rune spell, though.

If you place the Mist Cloud on an object (e.g. the rock beside you), then you can readily pull back out of view. 

But the spell is best designed for days when there is other fog/mist/rain around. (Just like Darkwall works best where there is more shadow.)

We never used Mist Cloud when it came out, as we called it the Missile Bubble. basically, what you get is a 2m diameter bubble of mist that moves around. It is either a really big Vampire or an Orlanthi using Mist Cloud. Either way, it doesn't hurt to pepper it with missiles, or use a Dispel Magic and then pepper the occupants with missiles.

For us, a completely useless spell, outdoors. Now, indoors is slightly different, as you can confuse enemies and sneak away.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, Manu said:

Ok for a Myth point of view. But for a game point of view, 1 rune point for 2m diameter, it is crap. As it reduce the visibility to 1 m.Therefore, you are visible. Or you need to spend 2-3 rune points (or even more) to make it useful. Shield 3 is far more useful then.

Sure. I probably would let the mist extend significantly further, being fuzzy, but only providing a completely impenetrable mist in the 2m sphere of the target, and making that harder to pinpoint than just "the center of that wisp of mist"..

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

2 x 2 = 4 square metres
2 x 2 x 2 = 8 cubic metres (if it would be an cube, but it is a sphere, so it is volume is only 4,2)

i don't speak about volume but surface

but you are right I did a mistake I used the diameter and not the radius. So the surface is pi square meter.

I apologize

25 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

i don't speak about volume but surface

but you are right I did a mistake I used the diameter and not the radius. So the surface is pi square meter.

I apologize

Don´t apologize. You are right. 

SURFACE of a sperical opject is:  diameter squared x Pi = 12,56

On 4/5/2020 at 4:54 PM, AndreJarosch said:

Don´t apologize. You are right. 

SURFACE of a sperical opject is:  diameter squared x Pi = 12,56

However... Firstly I doubt we should consider the surface area of a sphere as a way to.measure.

Secondly, I doubt the mist is going to pervade the ground... (ok, sure, you could be standing on a table, chariot, horse, etc). So, usually, only a hemisphere.

Radius or diameter is the most useful measurement.

4 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

However... Firstly I doubt we should consider the surface area of a sphere as a way to.measure.

Secondly, I doubt the mist is going to pervade the ground... (ok, sure, you could be standing on a table, chariot, horse, etc). So, usually, only a hemisphere.

Radius or diameter is the most useful measurement.

The calculation of the surface of the spere was only done to compare it to darkwall (10 square meters). 
I agree that diameter or radius is much more helpful to visualize the size of it. 

agree too, that's why I tried (and failed) to calculate the surface on the ground

In another hand, surface of darkwall (10 square meter)  doesn't mean surface on the ground protected by darkwall

the box protected by a darkwall = 4 sides + the top  (let's say the ground is a square)

the height of the box should be about 2m (protecting troll / human)

the surface of a side = length x height = length x 2

so the surface protected by the dark wall = (4 * 2 length) + length x length = 10 => about 1 square meter

darkwall = 1 square meter (on the ground) protection

cloud mist = 3.14 square meter (in is larger section) protection. But ... the larger section is on half of the "height" of the box

so...

Let's conclude cloud mist and darkwall are both able to protect one troll / human size and that's all 😛

Edited by French Desperate WindChild

6 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

agree too, that's why I tried (and failed) to calculate the surface on the ground

In another hand, surface of darkwall (10 square meter)  doesn't mean surface on the ground protected by darkwall

the box protected by a darkwall = 4 sides + the top  (let's say the ground is a square)

the height of the box should be about 2m (protecting troll / human)

the surface of a side = length x height = length x 2

so the surface protected by the dark wall = (4 * 2 length) + length x length = 10 => about 1 square meter

darkwall = 1 square meter (on the ground) protection

cloud mist = 3.14 square meter (in is larger section) pro

tection. But ... the larger section is on half of the "height" of the box

so...

Let's conclude cloud mist and darkwall are both able to protect one troll / human size and that's all 😛

Darkwall: 
"10 square meters and 10 cm thick"

If you let it hoover above you, you have a 10 cm thick and 2 x 5 m (or ~ 3.16 x 3,16 m) surface. 
That is ~ 3,16 diameter. 
So it´s the same.