Status of Future Pendragon Projects

7 hours ago, SilverSeraph said:

Sorry I said print option, but I really should have said POD.   With Chaosium starting to offer classic RQ in POD, I thought it likely they might do the same for Pendragon.

That seems more within the realm of possibility, especially with sites like Lulu. I'm not sure what that would cost Chaosium to set up, or how much he printed book would cost the buyer. I assume there is some reason why everything on Drivethru doesn't have a PoD option.

BTW, Are you looking for something in particular or just the general back catalog?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 11:15 PM, SilverSeraph said:

Sorry I said print option, but I really should have said POD.   With Chaosium starting to offer classic RQ in POD, I thought it likely they might do the same for Pendragon.

I think all the classic RQ material on POD is the re-layed out modern versions of the books. Because these were created from scratch using modern publishing software, it’s pretty easy to pop out a copy with all the page layout information in the PDF needed for decent quality POD production. Getting decent results from the PDFs created from scans of old books is another matter.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2020 at 6:25 PM, simonh said:

I think all the classic RQ material on POD is the re-layed out modern versions of the books. Because these were created from scratch using modern publishing software, it’s pretty easy to pop out a copy with all the page layout information in the PDF needed for decent quality POD production. Getting decent results from the PDFs created from scans of old books is another matter.

Yeah to do something like that they would need to use some OCR software to convert the scans into text, fix the typos, and  then recreate the same layout by trying to match the original fonts used, along with the original art, assuming they still have the rights for the art. Just how easy and how long that takes varies a lot depending on what OCR software you have. There would probably be some financing and legal issues too as it would probably considered a revision rather than just reprinting the original material.  

I've done something along those lines with a couple of pages of a magazine to do a handout fro my players and it's time consuming. In the long run it would probably mean a lot of work and time to bring back supplements that were probably superseded in later editions, and probably don't have a lot of fans willing to buy it to make it viable. Not when they have current Pendragon stuff waiting to come out.

I'm sympathetic to anyone who desires one of the older supplements, and I'm sure the folks running Chaosium are as well, but I suspect the only way someone is going to get a physical version of any of the older books is either to find an existing one, or get the PDF printed. Again, I can understand why someone would want the old books (I'm glad that I have the ones I've got), but I don't see it making much sense from a business standpoint to try and recreate an old supplement.

Edited by Atgxtg

On 7/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, Atgxtg said:

I suspect the only way someone is going to get a physical version of any of the older books is either to find an existing one, or get the PDF printed. Again, I can understand why someone would want the old books (I'm glad that I have the ones I've got), but I don't see it making much sense from a business standpoint to try and recreate an old supplement.

I thought Rick said something about this a while ago so I did the search and found it.

On 12/15/2018 at 12:52 PM, Rick Meints said:

We at the Chaosium feel great passion for the Pendragon family of games. Many of us played it back when it first came out, and still do on and off to this day. Our excitement at seeing the Chaosium logo on it after an absence of 20 years made us pause and reflect on how much we missed being its caretaker. Over the last few years Greg told us how he hoped it would one day return to Chaosium, and now it has. Stay tuned. We intend to do far more than merely reprint and POD the current and back catalog. So many things to do...

I understand this is by no means a confirmation and plans can, and often do, change, but there seems to be at least some appetite at Chaosium to offer print options of legacy Pendragon titles.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 6:15 AM, beardo1976 said:

I love the Book of Uther, will we ever see any additional era books that support the Great Pendragon Campaign?  The Book of Anarchy, Book of the Boy King, etc?

Something for the later periods would be FANTASTIC - Romance and Tournament and Grail Quest era books would ALL be great to see, since while there are many who are in the early stages of the GPC, there are also quite a few of us running around in the later periods of the GPC.

4 hours ago, SirUkpyr said:

Something for the later periods would be FANTASTIC - Romance and Tournament and Grail Quest era books would ALL be great to see, since while there are many who are in the early stages of the GPC, there are also quite a few of us running around in the later periods of the GPC.

I find that the Romance Period is probably the best detailed period of Pendragon, thanks to KAP 4e and most of the 3e-4e regional and adventure books being set in that period, too. There is a host of long-form adventures that work great for Romance and Tournament periods.

4 hours ago, Morien said:

I find that the Romance Period is probably the best detailed period of Pendragon, thanks to KAP 4e and most of the 3e-4e regional and adventure books being set in that period, too. There is a host of long-form adventures that work great for Romance and Tournament periods.

Yeah that is true as far as adventures go. The Romance Period is when GM have the full assortment of story ideas to use in their adventures. With Chilvary and Romaic Love there are more layers to work with. It's also the Period that is probably closest to what most people imagine when they think of King Arthur. 

On 8/26/2020 at 5:15 AM, beardo1976 said:

I love the Book of Uther, will we ever see any additional era books that support the Great Pendragon Campaign?  The Book of Anarchy, Book of the Boy King, etc?

The new edition of the Great Pendragon Campaign is expanding into a multi-volume set, so there will be lots more detail on all the Periods. More stuff on the Silchester Rebellion, the Roman War, the Grail...lots of exciting work already under way. The default start time for Sixth Edition is moving back to Boy King, and the initial focus for the line will be on Arthur's reign, but we have some projects in the pipeline for the pre-Arthurian eras as well (yes, even going back to Vortigern...).

We're also in the early stages of planning new regional sourcebooks, which I'm planning to include region-focused expansions to the basic GPC timeline.

• Like 12

22 hours ago, sirlarkins said:

The new edition of the Great Pendragon Campaign is expanding into a multi-volume set, so there will be lots more detail on all the Periods. More stuff on the Silchester Rebellion, the Roman War, the Grail...lots of exciting work already under way. The default start time for Sixth Edition is moving back to Boy King, and the initial focus for the line will be on Arthur's reign, but we have some projects in the pipeline for the pre-Arthurian eras as well (yes, even going back to Vortigern...).

We're also in the early stages of planning new regional sourcebooks, which I'm planning to include region-focused expansions to the basic GPC timeline.

This sounds amazing.  Thanks for your response, I’m going to hold off on running the GPC for now.  It’s def in my future though!