Your Dumbest Theory

scott-martin

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

If you want to see a dig at Islam there, it might be your preconceptions that get challenged.

Call it a dig or not, but the Malkioni Ompalam heresy is clearly associated with Islam in the Guide to Glorantha (p. 47).

Spoiler

A variety of strange, even perverse, Malkioni heresies flourish in Fonrit. The school of the Wool Cloaks seeks the understanding of esoteric knowledge through complete submission to Ompalam and the annihilation of the self while remaining physically alive. The adepts of these techniques claim, paradoxically, that they are the only truly liberated mortals in all of Glorantha. [Emphases mine]

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

the dig may have been at Roman Catholicism

Well, it is not as if I wasn’t offering a Christian mystical alternative.

Edited by mfbrandi
fonts
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

This is Humakt:

image.png.f1b766b8b3bbc1c98aa35ae56ba7647c.png

• Helpful 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

5 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

[The sword broos may disagree with much of this, but they are always fun to debate.]

For me, the sword broos explicitly agree with pretty much all of that.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

32 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The White Moon is the daughter of Argrath and Jar-eel!

We've been reading King of Sartar wrong - the following is the draconic mating ritual: "Those which would do such a thing then lurched into the sky. Those which would do such a thing brushed aside the burning light of the Red Moon which could destroy even them. The Storm Dragon then clutched the great bulk of the crimson orb with all four of its taloned feet, and wrapped itself around the Moon with its tail, wings, and long neck."

• Like 1
  • Helpful 4

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

We've been reading King of Sartar wrong - the following is the draconic mating ritual: "Those which would do such a thing then lurched into the sky. Those which would do such a thing brushed aside the burning light of the Red Moon which could destroy even them. The Storm Dragon then clutched the great bulk of the crimson orb with all four of its taloned feet, and wrapped itself around the Moon with its tail, wings, and long neck."

A similar ritual seems to happen between Murharzarm and Nestendos to boot!

"The great cold monster lashed itself forward and sought to bite Murharzarm. The god broke its teeth with his scepter. The monster then wrapped itself around Murharzarm from his left foot to his chin, encoiling his body seven times, and lifted its great head to stare at Murharzarm in the face. But the god was not paralyzed like prey."

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

21 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

"The great cold monster lashed itself forward and sought to bite Murharzarm. The god broke its teeth with his scepter. The monster then wrapped itself around Murharzarm from his left foot to his chin, encoiling his body seven times, and lifted its great head to stare at Murharzarm in the face. But the god was not paralyzed like prey."

These theories are too good. Dumber version: every time one of these stories gets told a new root race of triolini gets its fins. All hail the Eighth Kindred To Come!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The White Moon is the daughter of Argrath and Jar-eel!

Must have been a chance meeting on converging heroquests with a short piece of shared path.

When did the White Moon business start? Around the same time as the White Bull society?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Revealed Mythologies notes that dragons in accounts of draconic mysticism are to be equated with Kundalini. 

Following from this, it is fairly easy to imagine that the Path of Immanent Mastery is disdained as a "parody of dragonhood", "trying to recruit our children", etc., that practicing draconists practice seclusion simply because of the many "chasers" who wish to see a demonstration of their draconic powers, and that the differentiation between orthodox and immanent schools is less relevant than whether they require you to practice the austerities for three years on your own before joining, require a letter lr two from a recognized spiritual practitioner, or allow you to begin on the principle of informed consent. 

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 8/21/2023 at 12:55 PM, Joerg said:

Must have been a chance meeting on converging heroquests with a short piece of shared path.

When did the White Moon business start? Around the same time as the White Bull society?

The White Moon goes back centuries as a theological speculation of the Seven Mothers Cult.  But it escaped containment and now it's the favored idea of the poor, lashing out at the Empire's oppression.

The White Bull cult is basically a Ghost Dance style response to being conquered by the Lunars to my knowledge.  I assume it's a spin-off from Storm Bull's cult.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Biles said:

The White Bull cult is basically a Ghost Dance style response …  I assume it's a spin-off from Storm Bull's cult.

Ah, Ghost Dance! Anyone else remember Robbie Coltrane drumming on the roof to the shipping forecast? Clearly, he was listening for clues to the return of the Storm. But where was Jacques Derrida when the Praxians needed him?

[Yes, yes, I know. But it has a great soundtrack.]

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

17 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

Ah, Ghost Dance! Anyone else remember Robbie Coltrane drumming on the roof to the shipping forecast? Clearly, he was listening for clues to the return of the Storm. But where was Jacques Derrida when the Praxians needed him?

[Yes, yes, I know. But it has a great soundtrack.]

Derrida clearly was part of the force of Praxians that sacked Pavis.  And definitely an ally of Argath.

In my dream it was revealed that "the" Dwarf of Dwarf Run considers himself an almost narcissistically unique individual, the only true representative of his species . . . a nonpareil entity. And then the vision opened and every mostalite of note behaves the same way, florid in their particularities and diamond in their distinction. This means that councils like NIDA are always incredibly fragile collaborations that spend most of their effort trying to find and maintain a sense of common ground between widely scattered fragments of the original machine. But it also makes dwarf history a lot more interesting.

Edited by scott-martin
machine
  • Like 3

singer sing me a given

Lunar documentation uses euphemisms to refer to Sheng Seleris, of course, but one of the most arcane seems to translate as "poor little aum aum"...

• Helpful 1

Eight Arms and the Mask

There are Caladralander stories that involve Vestkarthan attempting to seduce every god, goddess, or otherwise nonbinary deity he can see. Most of them don't end well. They're quite popular, and his priesthood have essentially grimly accepted the fact that the big strong volcano god is also known as a horny idiot. Strangely, these stories haven't made people in Caladraland respect Vestkarthan any less overall.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, ZedAlpha said:

There are Caladralander stories that involve Vestkarthan attempting to seduce every god, goddess, or otherwise nonbinary deity he can see. Most of them don’t end well.

Because they don’t end well, his sexual frustration increases and eruptions ensue. This is why volcanic soil is so fertile. If he were better at the chirpsing, his people would starve.

Edited by mfbrandi
eliminated one repetition
  • Like 2

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

oh that's PERFECT. And it also serves as an example of the very real-world Bronze Age understanding that gods are both exemplars of proper behavior and cautionary tales at the same time.

"Be like Vestkarthan! Be brave, provide for your family, be loving, be open with your emotions! Also, don't be like Him in this very specific way, it only causes trouble!"

Another dumb theory: intentionally making an alloy out of copper (the magical Gloranthan metal) and tin (the other magical Gloranthan metal) makes anti-bronze. What does anti-bronze do? Nobody knows, 'cause the dwarves will sort that mess out real quick if they find out you've been making it.

• Helpful 1

59 minutes ago, ZedAlpha said:

Another dumb theory: intentionally making an alloy out of copper (the magical Gloranthan metal) and tin (the other magical Gloranthan metal) makes anti-bronze. What does anti-bronze do? Nobody knows, 'cause the dwarves will sort that mess out real quick if they find out you've been making it.

I'm pretty sure alloying copper and tin already just makes regular bronze. God-bone bronze is pretty rare, not the primary source.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Alloying the two metals might give you Gloranthan Brass, which has nothing to do with the real world metal zinc, but with a copper-tin-whatever-else alloy that was melted and cooled down again, like the bones of the various children or incarnations of Lodril no longer aflame. The Brass Mountains in Carmania certainly are volcanic in their origin, and they provide much of the metal needs of the Pelorian basin.

• Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Alloying the two metals might give you Gloranthan Brass, which has nothing to do with the real world metal zinc, but with a copper-tin-whatever-else alloy that was melted and cooled down again

The something else might be gold, which would make the Sun County insult brasshat makes a lot of sense since it would imply something shiny, with a touch of gold, but essentially impure.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️