Berlin '61 - Has anyone seen this?

The Tweaker

Browsing through Lulu.com I just saw this 'Berlin '61' book.

It is a setting for the GORE rules by Goblinoid Games (that is, the basic BRP rules from Call of Cthulhu with the serial numbers filed off). The blurb says:

Berlin '61 the heart of the cold war is a full and complete campaign setting for the GORE RPG. Set during the heart of the cold war, Berlin '61 explores the darker side of post war europe where magic and demons are worshipped by cults and sorcerers and good men and women draw the line between good and evil.

The preview of the book looks interesting and the basic idea is certainly cool (kind of a Cold War Cthulhu campaign set in divided Berlin). The download price is only 2.43 euros, so I feel tempted to buy it. I suppose it will be fully compatible with the new BRP book (or easily adaptable, at least), but I'd like to know if any of you has already seen it.

Happy owner of number 226 of 420

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but one of the guys from Goblin posts on the MRQ forums. I'll try to see if he has any inside info he can give out.

The book seems to be multi-system (D20 & MRQ) making it interesting in other ways. Hybrid D20/BRP/MRQ books might just be the future for BRP.

As for the setting as a Bond fan, I might have to get it for running Cold War era campaigns.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

The book seems to be multi-system (D20 & MRQ) making it interesting in other ways. Hybrid D20/BRP/MRQ books might just be the future for BRP.

Huh? I think the only system specified in the book is GORE.

As for the setting as a Bond fan, I might have to get it for running Cold War era campaigns.

That's another potential application I hadn't thought of. From Russia With Love and Goldfinger are my all-time favorite Bond films, btw.:cool:

Huh? I think the only system specified in the book is GORE.

Oops, I misread the OGL and SRD blup on the preview. Pity, one day someone is going to do a multi-system D20/BRP/MRQ supplement. It would help make the lesser know systems more accessable, and give BRP/MRQers more options.

That's another potential application I hadn't thought of. From Russia With Love and Goldfinger are my all-time favorite Bond films, btw.:cool:

Really? The first thing I thought of with a title of Berlin 61' was a cold war espionage setting. To me, that screams Bond, at least the Bond on the novels.

It was Bond who I did not think about, actually. It is obvious that a campaign set in Berlin during the Cold War should be about espionage... mixed with supernatural entities, in this case :)

If it includes enough info about the city and the agencies at the time, it would be a very useful resource for a classic Bond campaign, indeed. One with less gadgets and more physical action and intrigue.

It was Bond who I did not think about, actually. It is obvious that a campaign set in Berlin during the Cold War should be about espionage... mixed with supernatural entities, in this case :)

If it includes enough info about the city and the agencies at the time, it would be a very useful resource for a classic Bond campaign, indeed. One with less gadgets and more physical action and intrigue.

I take it you haven't read the books. The gadgets are few, and there is quite a bit of physical action. They were written in the 50s and are very different from the films (the first two films were close to the novels, but the films diverged after FRWL).

I take it you haven't read the books. The gadgets are few, and there is quite a bit of physical action. They were written in the 50s and are very different from the films (the first two films were close to the novels, but the films diverged after FRWL).

I read Goldfinger and For Your Eyes Only years ago, so I have at least an slight idea of the differences between movie-Bond and novel-Bond. I was shocked when I discovered that Bond had a human side, after all :eek: (like in "The Hildebrand Rarity", "Quantum of Solace" and "For Your Eyes Only")!

I agree with you in that later movies disfigured and mocked the character rather than portraying it.

Both the CIA and KGB deny using telepaths, Demons , dark sorcery etc, during the Cold war. But I would still like to know whats behind that reinforced steel door in the janitors closet in the bottom basement that has Elder runes carved on it.

Ehrrmmm, I am sorry to tell you, but we are making some reforms in the building now and I don't think there is anything strange in that basement.

I sent the workers down there a few hours ago to break open the steel door, so we can finish cleaning the basement... I think it has not been opened since the 60s at least, and the key is nowhere to be found.

Now that I think of it, it's been a while since I last heard of them. It looks like that bunch of lazy sloths are taking a really long break! I will go downstairs and check if everything's allright.

(...)

Hey, it is dark down here, and it looks like these idiots switched off all the lights! I can't see a thing! Ah, I hear someone climbing up the stairs... But... what's that squishy noise? And why is it so cold here?

(...)

(...)

(...)

Both the CIA and KGB deny using telepaths, Demons , dark sorcery etc, during the Cold war. But I would still like to know whats behind that reinforced steel door in the janitors closet in the bottom basement that has Elder runes carved on it.

That's the executive water closet.

What you don't want to know is what they keep behind the door marked "Break Room".

Could we invite the author over here? Anyone who've found his e-mail adresse? I see no information about this product on Goblinoid's pages, so it looks like a 3rd party GORE supplement. :P

SGL.

Well, someone from Goblinoid Games does post on the MRQ site. So if we went there and did a search for GORE, we'd get a member ID that we could PM.

I'm sure he'd love to "cross pollinate" BRP fans, and increase his potential number of customers. GORE is closer to BRP than MRQ, anyway.

In the sense that GORE uses the MRQ SRD to copy RQII/BRP as closely as possible and still remain legal...

Has anyone actually bought PDF? I'd be interested to here informed opinions.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Bought? I recall that the first book was available for free, with the author posting a link on the MRQ forum, and I think I dl'd it, too. T I take it that it isn't free anymore?

Or do you mean the Berlin pdf? At $3 is seems like a low risk.

The GORE PDF is still free. I downloaded the 1.4 version last night from goblinoidgames.com.

You can also download their stuff for free from drivethrurpg.com as well.

I downloaded GORE, OSRIC, and Labyrinth Lord.

GORE = BRP/RQ

OSRIC = 1st AD&D

Labrinth Lord = OD&D

I like his idea- he's basically trying to re-capture that *feeling* when we played those games so long ago in the mythical 80's :lol:

I'm not so sure that I would actually want to play those old school rules again, but I definitely like the nostalgic feeling I got when I reviewed the material. It brought up old memories and senarios that I hadn't thought about in a while.

BRP Ze 32/420

Berlin '61 is not a stand alone game, it is based on the GORE base rules, wich in turn is from the RQ OGL/SRD. It is heavily modified and has rules put in the book that replace basic GORE rules and the future plan is to have Berlin '61 eventually be a stand alone game.

It uses OGL/SRD ideas, rules and concepts from various sources, mainly runequest and D20.

It has rules for mad science, magic, character creation and more. It is a complete setting is there are at least 4 sourcebooks either already out or in the works for future release.

If enough people here express interest in the game, I am prepared to provide a PDF B&W text cover version of the game on lulu.com for $1, but before i do so I need to have people promise they will buy it then (shameless I am).

But the heart of the concept was to run a Cthulhu game in cold war berlin, just sounded fun and it grew from that.

One of the sourcebooks I want to write for it is just an espionage hand book on how to run the game as mainly a spy thriller with very little or no magic in it.

It is a living game, it is open for anyone to use or write material for.

Id love to see other peoples take on it.

It has rules for mad science, magic, character creation and more. It is a complete setting is there are at least 4 sourcebooks either already out or in the works for future release.

Could you elaborate a bit on that? I see the Berlin '61 Player's Manual, is there anything else out, and what can we expect to come later?

If enough people here express interest in the game, I am prepared to provide a PDF B&W text cover version of the game on lulu.com for $1, but before i do so I need to have people promise they will buy it then (shameless I am).

$3 dollars for the version with illustrations are cheap enough I think for those who are interested. I don't like pdfs though, so I ordered a printed copy of Berlin '61, the player manual and GORE. Once the books are in hand, and tested, I'll set up some reviews software on this site and add a review there. ;)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

The Encounters Handbook is being worked on right now for a release time frame of December, an adventure module set during the construction of the Berlin Wall should be out in January or February and a sourcebook on Moscow is also in the works.

I am also trying to figure out how to publish a GM screen, am considering a GMs Guide and a book dedicated just to spys and espionage.

I am working with Mr. Scrivner on a GORE/B61 compatible guide book filled with Matinee B-Movie style monsters as well.

Berlin '61 should be fairly compatible with other RQ/BRP material, my influences of course were the MRQ OGL/SRD and GORE, but I also researched concepts and rules from BRP books and games from throughout the ages.

CS

Id like to mention now that I am not an expert speller or grammer perfectionist, and am currently trying to track down an editor I can afford.

One of the sourcebooks I want to write for it is just an espionage hand book on how to run the game as mainly a spy thriller with very little or no magic in it.

Just wonding, but how much work would be needed to pull that off? Could the game be used as a espionage RPG now? Is it that you need more rules, or just the info on agencies and cold war stuff?

From my experience, I found that CoC soucebooks are fairly useful for modern gaming/espionage once you take out the Mythos nasties. Chaosium's Bermuda Triangle supplement is practically invaluable for running espionage adventures in the Carribean in the style of the James Bond novels. Something like 90% of the book is real world info like maps, countires, currencies and the like.

How much of Berlin 61 would be useful for other systems or types of gaming. The setting really has a lot of potential.

About 40% of the book (60 pages or so) covers equipment from the time (including a exchange rate chart for various nations involved in Berlinin 1961, but base prices are in american dollars fo rmy ease LOL), agencies, background on Berlin, a time line, rules that are not horror/magic specific but just game concerns (encumbrance, what pulp is, minion rules, and so forth), some key locations (with pictures), a couple of maps (working on getting better ones for later books), and information on 11 agencies (including CIA, Gehlen, Stasi, KGB, GRU, US Army, and others).

The chapters on Essence (Chapter 3) and Magic (Chapter 4) are the only two real chapters that would be "horror/magic" specific while the Game Masters Chapter (Chapter 9) is about 50-60% material for the actual horror setting (monsters, pantheon and god information and so forth).

Truth be told, the only things I would do in a Espionage Sourcebook would be put stats of generic encounters, adventure guidelines and rules for Gadgets and Gizmos (the Mad Science rules in Berlin '61 could work in a nutshell, but thier flavor has the whole insanity and whack job touch to them). Maybe even a starting scenario and a "World of Espionage '61 Guide" covering major events of the early 60s, how the agencies interact and stuff like that.

As is Berlin '61 works as a sourcebook for Berlin centric adventures set during that time frame.

Id be more then glad to work on a compilation book to help create that setting option in more detail if anyone was interested in pursuing it as well.

Is there an adventure included? Or planned? I would love to see a good spy story ala "the third man" etc. (connections to the mythos are not really necessary for my liking...just a plain spy adventure) I think there are not many inprint games out there which have such a theme.

If this is the direction people prefer the game to go in, then it will probably be what happens. The original intent of the setting was two things. One I spent the summer in Berlin and was fascinated by its history, especially the pre-wall years and I wanted to play a game that began before the wall went up, but during the adventure the wall was built. (it did originally go up over night).

Second I wanted to play CoC and not have my players know it was CoC. So the original book was meant to throw off the players and have them think we were playing cold war espionage and just have them wind up getting eaten by mythos monsters.

I personally would rather the game be mainly pulp-noir-espionage with the horror being mainly mad science, mad men and serial killers hiding amongst the backwall of the cold war and espionage world.

Even in my normal CoC games I always had my PCs involved in normal everyday adventures, like solving normal crimes, dealing with everyday events and then about every 3 or 4 adventures cuaght up in mythios crap.

I personally would rather the game be mainly pulp-noir-espionage with the horror being mainly mad science, mad men and serial killers hiding amongst the backwall of the cold war and espionage world.

I would be very interested in this type of campaign/setting.

BRP Ze 32/420