My American Buds

Just wish to congratulate you folk on you love for democracy, you are lining up in unprecedented numbers for hours (for some, several hours) just to exercise your franchise, Way to go, keep it up!

there is no need to make this a mean thread There is not a touch of anger, irony or nastiness  in this post just respect for those doing a good thing, so, let's just say thanks to those who are going out of their way to vote!

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 4

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Voting is always good.

I would encourage everyone to vote, no mater what your political beliefs.

Too many people died to make the vote available to all and there are too many people in the world who cannot vote, so why not vote?

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

12 hours ago, g33k said:

Gonna drop our ballots off (at least 4, maybe 5...

Just to be clear, that's one valid ballot per registered voter.  Two out of three in our household already submitted in a convenient and secured county drop-box in a state where 100% mail-in/drop-box voting has been working without controversy for well over a decade.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/timeline/time5.htm

!I!

Edited by Ian Absentia
Not quite decades yet.
  • Like 4

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

26 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

Just to be clear, that's one valid ballot per registered voter.  Two out of three in our household already submitted in a convenient and secured county drop-box in a state where 100% mail-in/drop-box voting has been working without controversy for well over a decade.

So, this is not vote early, vote often, then?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

So, this is not vote early, vote often, then?

I'm hesitant to join you in making light of it in the current social climate.  So instead, I'm responding with a string of stern emojis.

🤨🙎🙎🏾🙎🏻‍♀️🙎🏼‍♂️🙎‍♂️🙎‍♀️🙎🏼🙎🏿‍♀️🙎🏿‍♂️😾

!i!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

Vote early. Vote once.  But vote like your next vote depends on it.

SNAP

Yeah, ,what he said...try as I might to eliminate humour from my posts and topics the subject seems to follow me... sigh. 

23 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Yeah, ,what he said...try as I might to eliminate humour from my posts and topics the subject seems to follow me... sigh. 

In the words of my favorite anti-democratic media icon, Ivan Drago: "I must break you."

!i!

May I just say, for the record, how  utterly delightful  (albeit ironic!) it is to have a purely-political thread like this where -- oddly -- nobody's politics are entering in... or even evident?  I mean... I do know some folks stances, from elsethread...  but it's just "Vote" here.

Nobody is trying to "own the libtards" or decry the "sexual predator in chief" or otherwise "score points" in the socio-political culture wars.

Thank you, one and all.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, Kloster said:

As I'm living somewhere voting early is unknown...

Understood.  How about "Without hesitation, within the fairly allotted period"?  It's wordier, but go-man-go!

It may actually be worth noting that I'm firmly against early tabulation of voting results, as releasing preliminary data tends to skew later participation, either individually or by organised effort.  In my state, votes can not begin tabulation until after 8:00 PM when the ballots officially close.  Even unofficial exit polling tends to skew results (though they're dynamite for ratings).

!i!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

It may actually be worth noting that I'm firmly against early tabulation of voting results, as releasing preliminary data tends to skew later participation, either individually or by organised effort.  In my state, votes can not begin tabulation until after 8:00 PM when the ballots officially close.  Even unofficial exit polling tends to skew results (though they're dynamite for ratings).

!i!

I fully agree with that statement. Much like the 'there's no point voting for Party X here, they'll never get in' received wisdom. It becomes self-fulfilling, if everyone in your [voting area] who supports Party X acts that way, how many votes were not cast for them?

Vote early (as you can legally), vote for who you genuinely think is the best (or the least worst). Don't allow what 'everybody knows' disenfranchise you.

2 hours ago, g33k said:

May I just say, for the record, how  utterly delightful  (albeit ironic!) it is to have a purely-political thread like this where -- oddly -- nobody's politics are entering in... or even evident?  I mean... I do know some folks stances, from elsethread...  but it's just "Vote" here.

Nobody is trying to "own the libtards" or decry the "sexual predator in chief" or otherwise "score points" in the socio-political culture wars.

Thank you, one and all.

Absolutely; be excellent to each other dudes, and party on.

Edited by Al.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

On 10/20/2020 at 8:36 PM, Ian Absentia said:

Completely agree here. In fact, in France, beginning tabulation before the official end of the voting time frame can drive you to jail, and publishing anything between 24 before start of voting time and the end of voting time carry hefty fines.

Although I agree that no results should be calculated or released, I'm in favor of at least beginning the work sooner rather than later, given how large the early-voting totals are looking, and how unexpected that is.  Most forecasts are saying that this factor (massive early-voting in states that don't have the infrastructure & methods to handle it) is making substantial reporting-delays likely, or even inevitable.  I think some of that work might reasonably be begun a bit early (if methods to prevent early-results from getting out into the public sphere can be found) would be a good thing (but if the methods can't be found (and simple "do not share this info" legislation is CLEARLY insufficient), then not).

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I think some of that work might reasonably be begun a bit early (if methods to prevent early-results from getting out into the public sphere can be found) would be a good thing (but if the methods can't be found (and simple "do not share this info" legislation is CLEARLY insufficient), then not).

I heard a brief report yesterday on how our mail-in ballots are tabulated in my state of Washington.  In simple terms, apparently the ballots are received by mail or collected from drop boxes, opened and verified by unique digital code and signature against the registered voter rolls, then placed in mechanical hoppers ready for election night.  At 8:00 PM, the polls close and they "flip the switch" to begin automated tabulation.

The important thing is that, regardless of preparation of ballots prior to the close of polls, it doesn't begin in any form any sooner.

!i!