Grrr... Contacting Chaosium about order

Chaot

I placed an order on October 25th and it's status has been Order being Prepared since then.

I've been trying to contact them to see what the issue might be, to no avail. I've even sent out a missive to Dustin. Nothing.

Frustrating.

I know that the last I new, Dustin was going to be out of the area for a bit. Did you try sending an e-mail to Fergie? He is in charge of customer service and handles all the shipping issues.

His e-mail is fergie@chaosium.com and he has always taken care of my problems in the past.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I also have been having problems getting in touch with Chaosium. I ordered a bunch of stuff during the sale and I received it pretty quickly, but one of the books was missing (Fractured Hopes). I sent an e-mail, but I have not heard anything back. I knew that Dustin has been gone so I am hoping that they are just a little behind at present and will get caught up shortly.

294/420

I usually get a pretty quick reply from Dustin, but he's busy with other things at the moment so he's not as available as usual. The one time I had a shipping question, though, I was referred to Fergie who never bothered to respond to my e-mail query at all.

That said, I recently received a package from them (last week) which I bought prior to the sale (fool that I am). An additional book I ordered during the sale has not shipped yet, though. I'm guessing there might be a backlog in getting sale items out. No excuse for not responding to e-mails, of course.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

After trying unsuccessfully to get my author's copy of The River Terror through patience and e-mail, I called Chaosium. Lo and behold, the book was delivered one week later.

I'll have to try that. My contest prize materials and PDF arrived promptly enough, but no physical copy of the book so far.

This is what I got from Dustin's e-mail:

"Howdy There!

I'm moving my home office to Texas. I will out of contact until sometime in early November when I'm connected to the internet again. If you need to contact someone from Chaosium please email fergie@chaosium.com or nick@chaosium.com with questions about your chaosium.com orders. Email charlie@chaosium.com (or accounting@chaosium.com) for anything else, including distributor orders for our new book Cthulhu Invictus. They may all be reached by phone at 510 583 1000.

Happy Trails!

Dustin"

Presumably, it is taking him longer to get net access than he expected as it is now way past early November. Either that or he has been eaten by a Shoggoth.

And a week and a half after hearing from Fergie that my order was shipping, it still hasn't. They are not replying to e-mails once more. At this point, I'll just wait a few more days and file a dispute with VISA to get my money back.

This is no way for a company to operate. No excuses about how they're a small company - even if you can't pay your contributors (heck, I'm still waiting for my comp for some editing), even if you can't process orders, you still communicate. I'm tired of defending them time and again - especially since they can't even be bothered to reply to an e-mail, much less make excuses.

I wouldn't rush to file a dispute with VISA. My understanding is that it takes some time to resolve. I'm pretty sure that Chaosium would just reverse it for you and it wouldn't take nearly as long. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. My previous experience with them is that they are understanding when it comes to resolving shipping problems.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

I wouldn't rush to file a dispute with VISA. My understanding is that it takes some time to resolve. I'm pretty sure that Chaosium would just reverse it for you and it wouldn't take nearly as long. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. My previous experience with them is that they are understanding when it comes to resolving shipping problems.

Actually it's just a matter of documenting the facts and getting them to the financial institution who issued the card. They reverse the charge immediately and then the merchant has 30 days to prove that they did, in fact, provide the service.

And again, I have been working with them on the order and they still haven't done anything they said they would. I'm done with Chaosium.

In the past I've actually found that Chaosium processes and ships orders very quickly. Sometimes they'll even throw in a little something for free. Once, long ago, I got a hand written letter from Shannon Appel that answered a question I had scribbled on an order form in great detail.

I've only had one problem with them in the past and that was quickly cleared up by Dustin. I was unpleasantly surprised by it taking a month to get my October order, but receive it I did. As always, I wish Chaosium was more proactive on the communication front, but it's going to take a lot more than this for me to sign the company off.

70/420