Durulz Cavalry/Chariots

HreshtIronBorne

2 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

And duck cavalry  (froggelry?) mounted on frogs that big should be capable of some tremendous jumps.  This opens up a whole new realm of cavalry tactics: When confronted by a phalanx, they jump over it and take it in the rear. 

Frog-mounted cavalry would be called batrachianry or anurary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

8 hours ago, FungusColombicus said:

f... axles and other metallic parts could be made in Aluminum aiding to reach neutral flotation including the reinforcement of the wheels and harnesses. Definitely not something a duck from the poorer side of Clearwine can buy.

Wooden axles!  It was good enough for the Egyptians, so it should be good enough for the Ducks.  As for reinforcement -  at most, some rivets.  " Tires were of leather":  https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/11/02/egyptian-chariot-warfare/       Of course some inentiveness and adaptation would be necessary to make an amphibious chariot.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Wooden axles!  It was good enough for the Egyptians, so it should be good enough for the Ducks.  As for reinforcement -  at most, some rivets.  " Tires were of leather":  https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/11/02/egyptian-chariot-warfare/       Of course some inentiveness and adaptation would be necessary to make an amphibkous chariot.

AGREED 100% but... they are not SPARKLY AND SHINY !!! (plus we are still in a world of fantasy where we can push the reality and have amazing things)

Also... the metallic parts also contributes to the shock and awe part of seeing a duck charging in a chariot.

Edited by FungusColombicus
one line added

They hook their feet into an elaborate, webbed set of belts. Saddles aren't hydrodynamic, anyway, and the giant anhingas are more used for amphibious stealth assaults: these bird-riders' mounts dive and swim underwater, then emerge ready to stab at surprirsed defenders with their wicked beaks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, HreshtIronBorne said:

I have some players that wanted to roll up some Noble Durulz. The equipment list has two riding animals but, the Bestiary has Ducks with 00 as their Ride skill. Are Ducks incapable of riding animals, or is it just uncommon for them? Can they ride giant frogs like the newtlings in Prax? (I seem to remember newtlings in traskers somewhere.)

The other skill that shows up is Drive chariot, which i think would also be rad for ducks. Maybe some sorta lizard drawn chariot or something?

I think you can sit a duck on a pony without much issue.  Ducks can also likely ride bolo lizards, impalas, and ostriches, as they are of similar height to the pygmies.  As to chariots, well, there is no reason why a duck on an elevated platform can't potentially manage a chariot pulled by normal horses.

As to water chariots... why not water horses?  Or admit you really want ducks on jet-skis and invent a reason for there to be jet-skis.

By and large you don't want to have carnivorous animals as mounts, as they will eat all your livestock and leave you impoverished.

• Like 2

@Stew Stansfield also invented the Scoriaguard Rumbleriders Caladraland hippo cavalry.  Google image search shows what they look like: https://www.google.com/search?q=scoriaguard+rumbleriders&source=lnms&tbm=isch 

IMG there are two types of duck clan in dragon pass.  Lowland clans use "duck boats" that are like canoes with a sled rail and can travel on both land and water.  They're pulled by teams of regular-size beavers together with the riders, who sit in saddles that let them use their feet to paddle or push Flintstones-style.  Smaller instances would be like chariots.  Highland clans herd and ride sheep, without chariots.

• Like 1

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Giant otters could also be a good choice.

Or some kind of fairly large, short-tailed amphibian. Which could also be a good source of eggs (or rather, roe), if we suppose that the durulz are averse to poultry for some reason.

Cacops1DB.jpg

Edited by Leingod
  • Like 2