Backford Aeolian Campaign

Erol of Backford

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone know the who, what, why, and how of Gallanth's Home or is it Gallamth?

It is called out on the base map posted by Mr. Richard in the past, just curious as I am not able to find anything on it.

Cheers!

image.png.7af4d2be1608e7934dfd6f67a8b7e9f4.png

IMO this reads "Gollanth's Home". Gollanth was a son of Heort and Ivarne, and king of the Heortlings during the Silver Age (but died before the Dawn), following his father.

No idea why he would have a home this far away from his royal seat at Korolstead, on the outermost edge of Heortling territory. Unlike his adventurous brother Desaventus (who killed a terrible, flame-breathing boar at Monros) we don't know any details about his reign or deeds.

Aventus, the Larnsti king who formalized the presence of non-Hendriki people in the Hendriki lands, claimed descent from Desaventus, so there seems to have been some presence of King Heort and/or his silver deer kinfolk on the plateau.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

18 minutes ago, Joerg said:

No idea why he would have a home this far away from his royal seat at Korolstead, on the outermost edge of Heortling territory.

Could be a plot hook in Gollanth's Home that links/leads the PC's to the Smoking Ruins as its close to Backford where they are initially based. Easy enough to run with. Maybe its a small Ernalda shrine or something which evokes a vision of Korolstead or possibly Gollanth was born here?

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Curious if this river (red arrows) is also called Syphon or maybe "Little Syphon" but assume the water here only runs down the mountain to  the Toe Hole and not reverse?

image.png.e8bb6989347cab2a4cab5211ac9ba702.png image.png.4b2cfa5db9f35dfc2600df5d12a2d663.png

Not all rivers or creeks need to be old enough to have crept uphill in Godtime.

The Footprint myth is rather old, possibly from before the arrival of Sshorga the Blue Dragon and her children.

This watercourse might be a former glacier gliding down from those peaks, it could be a minor river previously arriving from the Praxian side, possibly blocked by some Gods War activity among those peaks, or it could have fomed after Engizi leapt down from the sky.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Joerg said:

IMO this reads "Gollanth's Home". Gollanth was a son of Heort and Ivarne, and king of the Heortlings during the Silver Age (but died before the Dawn), following his father.

Correct.

This village is built near the palatial ruins of a pre-Dawn Heortling king. Gollanth was the son of King Heort and Ivarne and was king in his own right after Heort's passing. He lived during the Silver Age and built a fine palace here with a high tower that looked out over the plateau and the sea far below.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Curious if this river (red arrows) is also called Syphon or maybe "Little Syphon" but assume the water here only runs down the mountain to  the Toe Hole and not reverse?

It is unnamed and only appears on those maps.  It would not be called the "Little Syphon" since it's waters would not run backward/uphill. Water runs down from the mountains, and likely plunges over the edge into the Footprint.  Any water joining the Syphon will follow the Syphon's path to the Underworld from that point on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heortland has no governor from 1593-1602. It was discussed before. So did rule of each of the plateau's sections then default to the clans, the Vandarland, Gardufar and Esvular, each seated in a major city thereupon?

Mt. Passant for the Esvular. Duchamp for the Gardufar? The Vandarland appears to pass over Backford and the Orshanti seem to be to the northwest of Backford but there isn't a major population center there? The Volsaxi seem to be centered on Jansholm but I assume that is only because those not in Whitewall were displaced to the south by the Lunars?

Oh, I think early on we were talking about King Owain who per the old Tradetalk #5 dies in 1617, I think he's the same as Orngerin as the R's W's and V's could have easily been penned illegibly. Aeolians and Sartarites pronounce thing differently...

image.png.b93dfd0f7cf7bb748fab786d5a0bb0b4.png image.png.42578660e6474a33f06fbb5cfb59253a.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

6 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Heortland has no governor from 1593-1602. It was discussed before. So did rule of each of the plateau's sections then default to the clans, the Vandarland, Gardufar and Esvular, each seated in a major city thereupon?

My old campaign borrowing quite a bit from Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe had the cities of Jansholm and Mt. Passant overseen by deputies of the governor, aka shire reeves.

Mt. Passant for the Esvular. Duchamp for the Gardufar? The Vandarland appears to pass over Backford and the Orshanti seem to be to the northwest of Backford but there isn't a major population center there? The Volsaxi seem to be centered on Jansholm but I assume that is only because those not in Whitewall were displaced to the south by the Lunars?

My out of date concept of Heortland had the three large cities Jansholm, Durengard and Mt. Passant as district capitals of what later would be known as New Malkonwal, with Durengard doubling as capital of the Sixth. The Volsaxi did their own thing since Belintar's conquest, and Karse was directly subject to Belintar rather than part of the Sixth - possibly an agreement with Tarkalor, possibly a much older tradition due to the Pelaskite origin of the city which may have played a role in one of the heroquests that shaped the Holy Country.

Oh, I think early on we were talking about King Owain who per the old Tradetalk #5 dies in 1617, I think he's the same as Orngerin as the R's W's and V's could have easily been penned illegibly. Aeolians and Sartarites pronounce thing differently...

Owain was my invention, and a concept quite different from Orngerin, but the similarity in names is somewhat serendipitious. I suggest to disregard that name.

• Helpful 1

17 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

image.png.b93dfd0f7cf7bb748fab786d5a0bb0b4.png image.png.42578660e6474a33f06fbb5cfb59253a.png

There was no King Owain. Greg quite deliberately rejected the description of Heortland from Tradetalk 5.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Heortland has no governor from 1593-1602.

Incorrect.  There is simply no named Governor during that time period in the HotHP book.  At this point in time, you can fill in that gap how you would, but whoever is still Belintar's Governor of the Sixth.

21 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

So did rule of each of the plateau's sections then default to the clans, the Vandarland, Gardufar and Esvular, each seated in a major city thereupon?

No, Belintar was actively ruling and would have had a Governor in this timeframe.  Belintar IS the RULER.  He appears in ALL the rituals in each and every clan.  There is no need for a default to the clans as Belintar, as a god, can be everywhere simultaneously.  But, he can also work through his Governor when he is focused elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

i don't know how it is in your Glorantha.  But in mine, Argrath starts recruiting Esvulari wizards for his magical units in 1627ST after he is invited to be Prince of Sartar.  That is how he intends to develop magical parity or superiority over the Lunars.

How does that square with the coming canon view?

A magical unit in Dragon Pass has about 50 master magicians. With the rather small sorcerer population among the Esvulari (2500 are 5% out of the 50k total population) up to 100 wizards might be available if the pay is good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joerg said:

A magical unit in Dragon Pass has about 50 master magicians. With the rather small sorcerer population among the Esvulari (2500 are 5% out of the 50k total population) up to 100 wizards might be available if the pay is good.

And as I understand it the Argrath innovation is to mix types of magicians.  Some shamans, some Rune priests, some sorcerers.  If we look at availability with Argrath's base in Prax, a unit of 50 might be 20 -25 shamans, 20 rune priests, 5-10 sorcerers.  Draconic magic would be a 4th category, YGMV.   So he doesn't need to recruit large numbers of Esvulari.

• Helpful 1

23 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

And as I understand it the Argrath innovation is to mix types of magicians.  Some shamans, some Rune priests, some sorcerers.  If we look at availability with Argrath's base in Prax, a unit of 50 might be 20 -25 shamans, 20 rune priests, 5-10 sorcerers.  Draconic magic would be a 4th category, YGMV.   So he doesn't need to recruit large numbers of Esvulari.

Different units will have different mixes and centers of focus.  Some will likely be heavily influenced by shamans with some Rune magic, sorcery, or trickster magics thrown in.  Some will be heavily influenced by sorcery.  Etc.  I wouldn't take any hard and fast line with them.  

As for sources of sorcerers, it's not just Esvulari.  Remember that the Noloswal diaspora is underway by 1625 as folk flee the conquests of Seshnela and the Rokari.  The majority of those who flee arrive in the Holy Country, particularly Nochet, and their sorcerers could be drawn into Argrath's units.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

When/what year would the refugees have begun arriving in Nochet and other parts of the Holy Country? Would any of the great trading houses have been pushed out of the west landing in Nochet?

Harrek appears in late 1623.  King Guilmarn begins his attacks in 1622 and conquers the region by 1624.  Anywhere in that time and into 1625-6, you should have refugees heading east to the Holy Country.  This would include noble families (I don't tend to think of "trading houses" in regards to Glorantha generally as that feels too modern).

• Thanks 1

Various threads dealing with mountain passes got me thinking about trade again. Trade caravans from Backford up to Sun Dome, Quackford, Clearwine, Apple Lane and on to Jonstown...

Gonn Orta's Castle, Wyrms High Pass and Jon Mith's caravan heading north, did he always head out from Jonstown and if not where else would he have been based?

What year did Jon Mith stop heading north? When would his first trip have been?

Also on the road to Wilmskirk there is a Yellow Bear Inn. I am having some dark thoughts as to either a stuffed werebear from the Yellow Bear Hills or the head of one is on the wall in that establishment and the PC in this campaign happens to be from there and goes berserk killing the owners and guests...

If a werebear dies in bear form would they go back to being human like in Werewolf in London?

image.png.08e9419aeb32b6b3ab5e28930d363641.png

7 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Gonn Orta's Castle, Wyrms High Pass and Jon Mith's caravan heading north, did he always head out from Jonstown and if not where else would he have been based?

What year did Jon Mith stop heading north? When would his first trip have been?

Also on the road to Wilmskirk there is a Yellow Bear Inn. I am having some dark thoughts as to either a stuffed werebear from the Yellow Bear Hills or the head of one is on the wall in that establishment and the PC in this campaign happens to be from there and goes berserk killing the owners and guests...

If a werebear dies in bear form would they go back to being human like in Werewolf in London?

image.png.08e9419aeb32b6b3ab5e28930d363641.png

John Mith kept a house in Jonstown for some time before 1615ST / Griffin Mountain, and per the Starter Set is High Priest of Issaries in Jonstown in 1626.  So he  apparently started from one of the tribes of the Jonstown confederation.

Therefore I would say yes. His base was always Jonstown even though in his youth he would not have owned a house there.  

He would have stopped making the Balazar trip in early 1626  after the Dragonrise, assuming his annual trip pattern which was to winter in Balazar and return to Jonstown when the mountain passes thawed.  His first trip date is not given but in roughly 1615 he had been doing it for several years, indicated by his owning a house in Trilus.  He may have traded to Prax as a young man but we don't know where he met his wife, who is from Pavis.  Possibly they met in Pavis but possibly she met him in Sartar.  Zix Porub is younger than Joh, and has been married to Joh for 11 years in Griffin Mountain, but that book has no definite Gloranthan date so you can say marriage in 1603 or 1604.  But maybe he first did the trip before they married.  So maybe as early as 1599?  

As for the Yellow Bear inn I doubt that anyone has published detail.  Why would the player character go berserk?  MAKING him go berserk sounds railroadish, in the absence of a reason.  If the question is whether one can have a mounted werebear head or would the were revert to a human face on death,  the Bestiary says nothing about it, in fact the only canon were are Telmori. The non Gloranthan trope is reversion. 

If you follow the telmori example then you might have it both ways, either the Chaos shape change persisting or a rune spell shape change reverting after 15 minutes.   So whatever you think is fun.  

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Checked Zix Porub dates.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I was thinking they would go into a rage with there family (from Yellow Bear Hills) mounted on the wall... Maybe they get attacked not unlike that inn near the Woods of the Dead? Maybe its better that a distant relative owns the inn, naming it after their homeland? Maybe they know about the Halfbird?

Good info on Jon Mith, thanks Sten!

I also didn't know he was an old adventuring friend with Mr. Goodsell. This is perfect. They trade with and befriend Mr. Goodsell and he has them interact with Mr. Mith who in turns after a few trading seasons agrees to have them accompany him to Balazar. The time is about right for Mr. Mith's first trip north.

Curious if Gringle had set up his pawnshop by 1600? I could make it so IMG but it would be nice to know about when it was made.

So the PC's befriend Gringle, help Apple Lane and give a place to Piku Gastapakis and his family when they need to move on from there to Backford. (Yes I know its a mess in like 1625 but that's 25 years down the road from when this campaign starts.)

Does the wandering metalworking tribe known as Third Eye Blue know secrets of stitching slain bluish-purple prismatic dragon scales onto a soft leather backing to make scale mail but lighter weight and with a bit more protection? (Sorry this is RQ3.) I suppose its not really a secret besides being able to punch a hole in the dragon scale. What are your thoughts?

I like the idea that the PC's one is a smith/leather worker learns from Mr. Gastapakis armoring/smithing of sorts.

• How long do dream dragon scales last?
  • What would one use to punch holes in it?
  • Would you fasten it to soft or hard leather, assume soft but I am no armorer.

image.png.d24788b2082ad818ac19a51cc8b3f028.png

(sightly off topic but would you be evil if you tap SIZ on a severed head with a spirit in it to make it simpler to carry even if the spirit in the head told you they had no problem with you doing it, no the severed head isn't tainted with chaos - tapping of chaos was deemed acceptable by some sect of sorcery wasn't it?)

Think on it, who wouldn't look cool in a suit of bluish-purple prismatic dragon scale splint mail!?

Dice are cool as well. What would dwarves call dice? randomized digitization instruments 

image.png.79545f8fd37a67f870b75fd423b9847b.png  image.png.bbaed81ed326aa90c0a9382e511f859e.png  image.png.7228ca9ae20a55e86f08b485af3fb807.png image.png.71fea7762f6c9828636925320de77e13.png